DVI to HDMI Picture Quality?

wasdqr

n00b
A VERY easy question for anyone who has done/seen it:

I want to know the difference (if any) between a normal LCD monitor

and

A LCD television connected to a PC via a DVI to HDMI lead.

Of course there will be a difference if they are two totally different devices. Quality of product A vs B is always a factor. Now if your question was if I put a LCD panel in a thin plastic frame or a big box would the picture differ..well, there is your answer.

Hint: you may wish to rethink and reword your question to actually ask what you are really thinking. I pretty sure you know what you are thinking...but I sure don't.

Nah mate, maybe you're overthinking the whole affair.

Let me put it this way; if i connect my PC to an LCD television via HDMI, is it going to look so shite I can't read the text?

Nah mate, maybe you're overthinking the whole affair.

Let me put it this way; if i connect my PC to an LCD television via HDMI, is it going to look so shite I can't read the text?

Nope, you completely reworded your question to something easily answered. The answer is "It should look just fine". No difference other than size and resolution. It is still digital. :)

pin for pin DVI is equivelant to HDMI.. the HDMI just includes the audio..

you could go DVI->HDMI->DVI and it would be exactly the same

the differences come int he devices..

Now that we're all fuzzy, how about some FUD?

Aren't TVs tuned to a different baseline black level over hdmi, or have a different gamma curve or something? Some folks have complained that hdmi video sources (game consoles, STBs, etc) don't look right on computer monitors. THe blacks might look grey on a computer monitor, but going from PC to HDTV over HDMI, it could inversely be crushing the blacks.

Aren't TVs tuned to a different baseline black level over hdmi, or have a different gamma curve or something? Some folks have complained that hdmi video sources (game consoles, STBs, etc) don't look right on computer monitors. THe blacks might look grey on a computer monitor, but going from PC to HDTV over HDMI, it could inversely be crushing the blacks.

Well PC sources and TV sources still are not on the same field. The two cousins...while near, did grow up apart. You can calibrate and elimiate most of the differences. It appeared to me though that the OP was more concerned about it looking like complete crap and not an exact copy. Most sets are pretty good these days. However, modern video drivers are also VERY good about handling "TV's" and their finer adjustments. AT least much better than 2 years ago when I beat my head against a wall trying to get my PC output to look my DVD player output. :p

Yes. Sometimes a TV will expect PC levels (0-255, where 0 is black and 255 is white) for a DVI input instead of video levels, which are 16-235, but it will expect video levels for an HDMI input. It's a matter of calibrating separately for each source.

Did someone say Fud:confused: :confused: lol no, but seriously using HDMI link to a LCD TV looks the same as a monitor... my budy has DVI to HDMI converter looks same as normal screen. Some colers look a little weird but you realy got to look hard.

what the hell.... are they censoring the acronym, F-U-D? What are the three hearts about?
Sorry f u d, it looks like your name is censored!

Anyhoo... what's weird about the colors?

Back