• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

DVI question I can't answer

sirholio

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 9, 2000
Messages
4,388
Somebody has to have some good info for me.

Here's something that I was asked and am not sure exactly how to answer.
My answer at this point, is that Most people aren't going to notice any major differences.
There is a difference, but can you or I tell? not really without looking very hard.


Now, for the question...

Is using DVI going to gain visual quality that is noticable? gaming, surfing, dvd...

additional part: A friend said that in moving to PCI-Express graphics cards from AGP, you will notice
more of a difference between the two types of connections (DVI and dsub).

Same question. Is DVI noticably better than the normal dsub connector?


question I really want answered: you could probably ignore the previous stuff.

example of usage
I buy an LCD, and it has a Dsub connector and DVI connector. Using a PCI-Express video card.
Am I going to notice a huge difference in the visual quality?


Resources for information is appreciated. maybe visual evidence for either as well.
 
I've only be reading this forum for 1 day and I don't own an LCD with DVI but from what I've read (In many posts here) DVI creates a perfect pixel to pixel ratio. 1 pixel generated by the video card = 1 pixel on screen (if you use native resolution like a good boy), and thus you get a much sharper/clearer image than using the analog input(VGA/DSUB).
 
Resource, Common Sense.

While the actual bandiwith is increased via PCI-e, to the human eye, it's not that different.

Other than sweeter, sharper graphics via pci-e, there really is no difference.

The eye only sees at a certain frequency. the type of plugs wont matter, at least not anytime soon.

is there an increase? i dont think so, and i highly doubt it.
 
sirholio said:
Somebody has to have some good info for me.

Here's something that I was asked and am not sure exactly how to answer.
My answer at this point, is that Most people aren't going to notice any major differences.
There is a difference, but can you or I tell? not really without looking very hard.


Now, for the question...

Is using DVI going to gain visual quality that is noticable? gaming, surfing, dvd...

additional part: A friend said that in moving to PCI-Express graphics cards from AGP, you will notice
more of a difference between the two types of connections (DVI and dsub).

Same question. Is DVI noticably better than the normal dsub connector?


question I really want answered: you could probably ignore the previous stuff.

example of usage
I buy an LCD, and it has a Dsub connector and DVI connector. Using a PCI-Express video card.
Am I going to notice a huge difference in the visual quality?


Resources for information is appreciated. maybe visual evidence for either as well.

There is no Image quality difference between an AGP and PCI-e versions of the same video card. for example a Geforce 6800GT PCIe or AGP

Only on digital displays does DVI make a difference, there are few CRTs that have DVI interface but its not digital but analog DVI.

On LCDs There is a noticeable IQ difference depending on the brand/model. For example on my Benq FP91G+, DVI looks razorsharp but VGA looks somewhat soft, specially at lower resolutions.

There are plenty of threads that discuss the difference in IQ between DVI and VGA, I suggest you do a search.
 
Back
Top