DVDFab Media Server vs nVidia Shield

So, not clicking any link that ends in 'cn', and never heard of the DVDFab product, but I will say that the Shield works quite well.

DVD Fab is limited in comparison to the Shield. There really is no comparison in terms of flexibility and echo system. For example, it does not support Netflix or YouTube 4k and or HDR. Being Android-based the shield has the entire Android ecosystem at its beck and call your left to wonder what apps are supported with the DVDFab.
Give this review a read it may be helpful.
Bottom line its got some nice features but not enough to supplant the Shield.

DVD Fab is limited in comparison to the Shield. There really is no comparison in terms of flexibility and echo system. For example, it does not support Netflix or YouTube 4k and or HDR. Being Android-based the shield has the entire Android ecosystem at its beck and call your left to wonder what apps are supported with the DVDFab.

Great! I have a Shield that I really haven't been using that much and bought a long time ago (seems like 3 years and it felt weak then), but it seems it has been upgraded quite a bit since I bought it. I plan to bring it out of darkness this summer, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't about the be supplanted by new tech. And, I'd rather not drop $300 either.

Thanks for the reply.

To IdiotInCharge: I spent a good bit of time reading that site...I think it is legit...and I learned about DVDFab right here in these forums the other day...I am referring of course to the software...this media server thing is apparently something new.

The DVDFab product is android based also.

I would be more worried about the fact that it is cracking encryption in order to rip movies to the HDD. As new encryption comes out, you are at their mercy for updates (much like the old DVDFab software). Depends on where you go that might or might not be considered "legal" and it's probably not worth a court fight in order to prove the point that if you own the movies you should be able to do whatever you want with them.

Also seems a little expensive for essentially an Android TV box with a fancy shell that has built in storage.

Looks like it's Android OS and not Android TV OS. I think I'll stick with my Nvidia Shield.

I replaced the 500GB sshd in my 2015 shield pro with a 500GB samsung 860 evo ssd before the latest firmware update to android 9/shield os 8.0. It normally takes almost an hour to optimize all the apps, this time including update and optimization was maybe 12 minutes. It launches apps instantly now and switches between very quickly. The only thing it doesn't do is Dolby Vision and it doesn't do Atmos in Netflix but it passes it through fine in kodi and vlc etc from a network share or whatever.

Back