DVD-like optical disc could store 1.6 petabits (or 200 terabytes) on 100 layers

I would love to see this, but there have been press releases about the "next big thing" in Optical/Quartz/3D Crystal/Tape storage, promising hundreds of terabytes to hundreds of petabytes. It is always announced by a small research group at **insert company here** that always says it is "just a few years away from commercialization" and then drops into the dustbin of history. When they have a tested & reliable, working & shipping product (with competitive drive and media costs and reasonable longevity for stored devices) then come talk to me and I will buy a bunch.

I would love to see this, but there have been press releases about the "next big thing" in Optical/Quartz/3D Crystal/Tape storage, promising hundreds of terabytes to hundreds of petabytes. It is always announced by a small research group at **insert company here** that always says it is "just a few years away from commercialization" and then drops into the dustbin of history. When they have a tested & reliable, working & shipping product (with competitive drive and media costs and reasonable longevity for stored devices) then come talk to me and I will buy a bunch.
Seriously!

Or that operating conditions are only reproducible in a lab and the center of a neutron star and only were able to store 5 bits but it should be scalable to petabits!

Would be nice to see some of these big developments come out and be viable.

Seriously!

Or that operating conditions are only reproducible in a lab and the center of a neutron star and only were able to store 5 bits but it should be scalable to petabits!

Would be nice to see some of these big developments come out and be viable.
Come on. Thor had the Dwarves of Nidavelir forge Stormbreaker, and they have the heart of a dying neutron star in their workshop, how hard could it be for a storage company to make a deal to use that one!!!!

Back