DVD burning software

ATW

Limp Gawd
Just bought an NEC DVD burner because my Lite-on's are junk, and it comes with no software. I have 2 copies of Nero for CD-R/RW but not DVD, so I have a drive I can't use. Whats a good, inexpensive DVD burning software? Is there any place that sells the OEM Nero that comes with the Lite-on's? I'm not shelling out $75-100 for Nero 7 Ultra.

nero has DVD support, you just need to select 'DVD.'

when starting a new project, itll begin nero w/ that box, and on the right side it has all of the functions for that burner. at the top, you can choose which drive youre using. click there and select your drive, but make sure it has 'DVD' beside it.

you should be good to go.

think the point was his copies of Nero are only working with his old Lite-On drives since they were bundled copies and probably look for an "authorized" burner, or alternately they are older versions without DVD support

I hate to say it but I'm a big fan of Nero.

You can probably find a new copy on ebay for dirt cheap.

Ice Czar said:
think the point was his copies of Nero are only working with his old Lite-On drives since they were bundled copies and probably look for an "authorized" burner, or alternately they are older versions without DVD support

Actually, one copy is a Lite-on-only version, the other isn't. However, the DVD option is blacked out...it will only do CD.

Are these mentioned applications above just for burning data to DVD or can they be used to back up a legal purchased DVD? I have so many DVD's that I hate taking with me on trips because I am afraid I will damage the master copy.

Can you guys let me know which is the best for backing up my DVD's?

Carloswill said:
Are these mentioned applications above just for burning data to DVD or can they be used to back up a legal purchased DVD? I have so many DVD's that I hate taking with me on trips because I am afraid I will damage the master copy.

Can you guys let me know which is the best for backing up my DVD's?

Some of the ones said only burn data. However, DVD Shrink, recommended by Ice Czar, can rip a video DVD.

I personally still use DVD Decrypter, but since the main site for that has been taken down, you'll have to Google for it. It can dump a disc to ISO (or just dump the contents), remove CSS protection, and remove region encoding. It can also write ISOs. :D

my process is to first employ DVDecrypter to burn an ISO to the HDD
then I mount that with Deamon Tools and employ DVDShrink to ripout the extra features and the reauthor the starting and ending point as well as automatically compress it to fit a standard single layer DVD, the way I have it setup as soon as that is done it launches Nero and automatically burns the DVD

note this takes twice the HDD space since your decrypting to a folder
then rencoding to another folder then burning to the DVD
the advantage is I can confim the decryption stage by watching the mounted ISO movie
and DVDshrink has never failed to burn a DVD once Ive decrypted it
which can save on media

I gather that guide I linked does the same but with Burnatonce instead of Nero as the default burning ap

as a personal caution, I don't recommend cropping too close to the end of a movie
while you might not appreciate the credits, sometimes issues can appear near the end of the crop, better they happen in the credits
I now set the end point well toward the end of the credits

I would guess he is trying to do both

unless he has 4.7GB of emails he wants to backup :p

well, i would guess that, too. but i think his main priority right now is to have the ability to burn DVDs, such as backups and whatnot...

TSS Modder said:
im pretty sure that right now he wants to burn DVDs, not copy movies...

Bingo...although I'd like to copy movies too. Here's the Nero window...

54014908.jpg

you just need to get an 'updated' version of nero ;)

now, where to get that.... i cant say :eek:

but for DVD copying, DVDShrink and Nero are the tickets.

You can get Nero 7 for far less than $75, and get the older, slightly better in my opinion, Nero 6 for even less.

On another note, stay far FAR away from DVD Decrypter. I can't even begin to guess at how many people, including me, that have had their systems hosed by that app. As mentioned, when DVD Shrink and Nero work so well together, there's no reason to go any other route.

I must be strange i use all three!

DVD Decrypter - Rips the DVD
DVD Shrink - Compresses the DVD
Nero 6 - Burns the DVD

Never had a coaster yet! DVD Shrink really is invaluable!!!

That's just adding extra steps. DVD Shrink does the ripping and compressing, all in one process.

DVD Shrink burns the DVD, also. so in the interest of copying DVD movies, DVDShrink alone can be the only program used.

The DVDShrink website states: "Important: burnatonce does not support burning to DVD+R(W), so don't even try." Unfortunately, the pack of DVD's I got cheap on sale at Best Buy are DVD+R's. :mad:

Download a demo of Nero, and install it. Then try to do your burning in DVD Shrink, using the nero plug-in.

XanTHraX said:

Nero 6 - Burns the DVD

That's what I do. shrink and decrypter are awesome

Alright fellas, I'm taking my first shot at copying a movie with DVD Shrink. I ran the "open disc" and once complete, tried to save the ISO to my hard drive, but each time I get a copy protection error message. What am I doing wrong?

IMO

not decrypting it seperately with DVD Decrypter then mounting the image and using DVD Shrink

as I said it takes a little more time and space
but its been 100% bulletproof for me

XanTHraX said:

Nero 6 - Burns the DVD

I use almost the same process:

1.) Rip DVD to an .iso with DVD Decrypter.
2.) Compress or reauthor to an .iso using DVDShrink.
3.) Burn .iso using ImgBurn (made by the same guy who wrote DVD Decrypter - http://www.imgburn.com)

ATW said:
Alright fellas, I'm taking my first shot at copying a movie with DVD Shrink. I ran the "open disc" and once complete, tried to save the ISO to my hard drive, but each time I get a copy protection error message. What am I doing wrong?
http://www.dvd43.com/

use that program.

I just gave DVD Decryptor a shot, but it might as well be in Japanese because I have no clue what I'm doing.

i use DVD43 to decrypt (that only requires an install. after that, it works on its on, so its not even a step involved in the process)

then use DVDShrink to rip and compress it

ill use DVDShrink if i just want to do an immediate backup, but otherwise ill use Nero to burn later.

so, yes, w/ the aid of DVD43, all you need is DVDShrink. what you guys do w/ DVD Decrypter and such is rediculous... one program to rule them all.

to work DVDShrink: open DVDShrink, Open Disc, then deselect any features you dont want. click Backup! if you have a burner, it will automatically ask you to insert a disc after backing up to burn the DVD. otherwise, it will simply backup to any folder you specify.

i also do the feature that does a thorough analysis of the disc to get a higher quality backup.

and i remove any additional languages. french?!? who the heck wants to listen to it in french??? seriously, people... What The French?

ATW said:
I just gave DVD Decryptor a shot, but it might as well be in Japanese because I have no clue what I'm doing.

generally speaking
you start it
it autorecognizes the DVD in the drive
it automatically finds the available space to write the ISO and lists where its doing that in the destination field,
which if you hit the folder you can overide and dictate where you want it
but make sure there is enough space
and then you click the little green arrow

in short
click
wait
click

:p

To hell with it. DVD Shrink locked my PC up right after it started encoding and I'm not going to keep doing hard reboots.

TSS Modder said:
so, yes, w/ the aid of DVD43, all you need is DVDShrink
No, all you need is DVD Shrink. You don't need that craptacular DVD43. That was intended to run in the backgroun and allow people to make copies of movies using just Nero...nice idea, but a failed attempt. DVD Shrink does the decoding, ripping, compressing, etc etc etc, and let's you choose to burn it right away, store it as an image file, or store the actual vob files on your drive to burn later.

So, once and for all, DVD Shrink is all that's needed.

To the OP, if DVD Shrink is hard locking, you most likely either don't have the chipset drivers loaded, or you were using a scratched DVD.

djnes said:
No, all you need is DVD Shrink. You don't need that craptacular DVD43. That was intended to run in the backgroun and allow people to make copies of movies using just Nero...nice idea, but a failed attempt. DVD Shrink does the decoding, ripping, compressing, etc etc etc, and let's you choose to burn it right away, store it as an image file, or store the actual vob files on your drive to burn later.
no, ive had to use that many times. i was gettin redundancy errors in DVDShrink on my new PC w/o DVD43, and once i loaded it, it ripped the DVD perfectly.

TSS Modder said:
no, ive had to use that many times. i was gettin redundancy errors in DVDShrink on my new PC w/o DVD43, and once i loaded it, it ripped the DVD perfectly.
I've done more movies that I should admit, without any issues at all. DVD43 is an absolute POS that has made playing legitmate store bought games impossible on 10 different machines of people that have tried it. I know this is my personal experience with DVD43. However, for the benefit of the OP, we should stick to the facts, which are, that DVD Shrink is all that's needed. The OP is having problems already, so there's no need to add more variables. Doom9.org is considered the authority on the subject, and their guide for DVD Shrink lists only DVD Shrink. I would spend my time finding out the problems you are having, instead of pointing the blame at good software. Those errors you are getting are related to hardware 99% of the time.

djnes said:
To the OP, if DVD Shrink is hard locking, you most likely either don't have the chipset drivers loaded, or you were using a scratched DVD.

I put in a brand new, unscratched DVD, and saved the ISO image to my hard drive. But rather than an ISO image, it was a .rar file that contained the video_ts folder and an empty audio_ts folder. Where do I go from there?

Back