durable mouse microswitches

wpeng

Weaksauce
I'm not sure if I posted here before or not, but I'm looking for a mouse whose mouse button won't break on me in 2 years (double click problem, releasing on hold, etc). I've never experienced such an issue until my 5 year old MX1000 bit the dust. I replaced the microswitch but then the left one broke, so I dumped it. Fast forward 4 years later, and I've had three mice whose microswitches broke on me within a year and a half, two of them Logitech. Then I go online and find out that this is a rampant problem for not only Logitech but Razor as well.

Is there any brand that is durable enough to last me? I play games about 2 hours a day, so it's not like I abuse them or anything.

I'm not sure if I posted here before or not, but I'm looking for a mouse whose mouse button won't break on me in 2 years (double click problem, releasing on hold, etc). I've never experienced such an issue until my 5 year old MX1000 bit the dust. I replaced the microswitch but then the left one broke, so I dumped it. Fast forward 4 years later, and I've had three mice whose microswitches broke on me within a year and a half, two of them Logitech. Then I go online and find out that this is a rampant problem for not only Logitech but Razor as well.

Is there any brand that is durable enough to last me? I play games about 2 hours a day, so it's not like I abuse them or anything.

The new S series mice from Logitech (G700S etc.) have more durable buttons.

Even on my regular G700 I never had the click problem, but I know what you are talking about, on the Logitech G7's I had before I ran into that issue.

Just get a mouse with a good warranty. If my Logitech breaks every few years it just means that I get a new mouse every few years for free.

The new S series mice from Logitech (G700S etc.) have more durable buttons.

Even on my regular G700 I never had the click problem, but I know what you are talking about, on the Logitech G7's I had before I ran into that issue.

If you do a google search, the G700 has had major issues with clicking issues, and the S series hasn't been around long enough to know yet.

Just get a mouse with a good warranty. If my Logitech breaks every few years it just means that I get a new mouse every few years for free.

That's what I've decided for now... except that my G9 broke in 1.5 years, and the replacement they sent me broke in 1 year (replacements are not covered under the warranty).

If you do a google search, the G700 has had major issues with clicking issues, and the S series hasn't been around long enough to know yet.

Yep, but they are supposed to last a lot longer.
Upgraded primary mechanical microswitches are rated to a 20 million-click lifespan

I opened my M505... they use Omron microswitch. That is a reputable brand I suppose. And i managed to fix it doublecliking problem. Been running fine for a few days, not sure how long it is going to last though. I will be super happy if i can yield another 6 months of use. Not bad for a 3+ year old mouse. Wish they still sell it in the market but I cannot find any.

Omron's are typically advertised on some gaming mice and are touted for their durability.

I have a Logitech M705 where the switch broke after about a year. I opened it up and shimmed the contact above the switch with a piece of thick tape, and it's been going strong ever since. I thought it crapped out again a few months ago, but the tape had just slipped. I re-taped it and it's been good.

The Omron brand in and of itself does not mean anything as they have different models of switches that are rated at different clicks life cycles.

For instance:
– Omron D2FC-3M rated at 3 million clicks ;
– Omron D2FC-F-7N rated at 5 million click ;
– Omron D2FC-G-7S rated at 10 million clicks.

Finally, the double click syndrome is prone to happen on any switch regardless of brand and rated life cycle, either because the switch is worn out or it has a fault.

Can't suggest anything, I just ordered a new Logitech G500s because my G9x is exhibiting the double mouse click and drag release issues sporadically now. I love the G9x and it's actually still under warranty but discontinued :(. Hope the G500s is decent, but mice have really gone down in quality over the years.

I've never had a microswitch break, only the solder joints holding it to the circuit board or the plastic that's the bottom part of the mouse button that presses against the tiny button on the microswitch. Covering those buttons with thin pieces of urethane sponge might cut down on mouse button wear. I use that to reduce the click noise, and it holds up for a long time (no hole wears through).

Electronics catalogs, like Mouser, Allied, and DigiKey list microswitches according to characteristics like lifespan, travel distance, button pressure, and noise level. DigiKey can be the cheapest for small orders because they charge so little for shipping.

I opened my M505... they use Omron microswitch. That is a reputable brand I suppose. And i managed to fix it doublecliking problem. Been running fine for a few days, not sure how long it is going to last though. I will be super happy if i can yield another 6 months of use. Not bad for a 3+ year old mouse. Wish they still sell it in the market but I cannot find any.

Omron is what you want. However saying "get a mouse with omron switches" is like telling someone to buy a mechanical keyboard with cherry switches, other things can go wrong. Logitech, Steelseries, Razer will all sell you mice with omron, and keyboard with cherry, there's more to it than that.

Back