Dungeon Keeper Fans - Read this

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
I was checking out GOG to see if there were any stability updates for DK2 running under Windows 7 and happened to stumble across a reference to a kickstarter project called "War for the Overworld". I was pleasantly surprised that the game looks to be a true spiritual successor to the Dungeon Keeper series running under the Unity engine.

The project has almost hit their £150,000 target with 5 days still left on the clock.

The devs have given a promised release date of August 30th 2013 if successfully funded.

A mix of real time strategy and god game. Influenced by Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, StarCraft and Evil Genius.

Their Kickstarter video was narrated by Richard Ridings (original DK narrator). If they reach the £225,000 stretch goal, Richard will be hired to narrate the game.

Kickstarter Page

If you're a fan of Dungeon Keeper, you should definitely check this one out!

PS - GOG has released a compatibility patch for Dungeon Keeper 2 .. Click me

Awesome. That other Dungeon Keeper style clone from last year really didn't do it for me.

You must be referring to that game "Dungeons"... A lot of people were mislead into thinking it was a Dungeon Keeper clone but it was more a tower defense type game with similar themes as DK. Everything about the marketing of Dungeons made it look to be a spiritual successor to DK. A really shitty move by their PR department.

I wish GoG would add in the greater zoomout mod (it's a modified .exe). It makes the game playable at higher definitions. :D

Gah, Unity engine? Weren't the not use the Unity Engine before? UDK would have made it much easier to mod the game...

You must be referring to that game "Dungeons"... A lot of people were mislead into thinking it was a Dungeon Keeper clone but it was more a tower defense type game with similar themes as DK. Everything about the marketing of Dungeons made it look to be a spiritual successor to DK. A really shitty move by their PR department.

It didn't help that the game itself was total crap. Even if Dungeon Keeper was never mention it still would be terrible. :D

Gah, Unity engine? Weren't the not use the Unity Engine before? UDK would have made it much easier to mod the game...

Not sure if you've seen the kickstarter pitch vid yet, but they have spoken about releasing full mod tools for the game (Called Dungeoneer). Apparently the same tools they are using to develop the game. The tools will allow users to create new maps, campaigns, assets and game modes. It sounds fairly robust.

It didn't help that the game itself was total crap. Even if Dungeon Keeper was never mention it still would be terrible. :D

Ain't that the truth. It was a total POS.

They could have milked us for DK3, 4, 5,, 6.... etc. Not only that, who wouldn't have paid for DK DLC? More levels, unlock the super minion and new pain room, etc? I hate DLC but just saying they would have got me on this had they made more DK games.

DK2 was so epic.

This thread makes me happy and angry at the same time. I am happy because DK2 was awesome and a true successor is awesome, I am angry because I bought "Dungeons" and this thread reminded me of that fact.

I have gotten DKII to run pretty smoothly on my win7 box due to an updated patch for the GOG version. So much so I have stopped using my vintage PC to play these games. I fell into the Dungeons trap also. I only played it for 30 mins then quit. Waste of money. I also wish I could just get larger resolution to work for it. Hell, I still play RA2 on my machine and I wish I could updated resolution on that also.

I have gotten DKII to run pretty smoothly on my win7 box due to an updated patch for the GOG version. So much so I have stopped using my vintage PC to play these games. I fell into the Dungeons trap also. I only played it for 30 mins then quit. Waste of money. I also wish I could just get larger resolution to work for it. Hell, I still play RA2 on my machine and I wish I could updated resolution on that also.

I've been playing through DK2 again over the past few days since hearing about the GOG update. The performance and stability is excellent.

The patch they have implemented seems like a fairly odd hack or a DX wrapper of some sort. The game is still running at the default resolution (1024x768?) but the actual screen resolution is the desktop res. In my case 2560x1600. I can tell it's not standard scaled 1024x768 since the pixels are crisp and clear at a 1:1 ratio but are still blocky and aliased.

I haven't been able to enhance the ingame res with the usual registry settings. It looks like the patch overrides those values.

Overall, it makes DK2 much more playable.. No more random crashes during gameplay :)

The game did CTD a couple of times when the after mission movie is about to play, but that's no biggie.

Not sure if you've seen the kickstarter pitch vid yet, but they have spoken about releasing full mod tools for the game (Called Dungeoneer). Apparently the same tools they are using to develop the game. The tools will allow users to create new maps, campaigns, assets and game modes. It sounds fairly robust.

With the UDK though, like they were originally using you could mod pretty much anything with 0 tools. Theres a pile of modders already for a pile of UDK games, and the skillset is kind of standard. Unity modding is kind of unknown. It's good that they will allow extra stuff to be added to the game, but i'm not sure how much Unity will allow the actual game itself to be modded. Or it's just the ingame objects. Still, we shall see.

I've been playing through DK2 again over the past few days since hearing about the GOG update. The performance and stability is excellent.

The problem with the larger resolution (i'm sure I posted screenshots of this in the orignal GoG launch thread...not sure where that is :D) is that even if you use the registry edit to increase the resolution, the game just becomes increasingly zoomed in. To the point where it's kind of impossible to play.

Now the way to fix this is a modified exe that someone made which allows the zoom to be brought out to whatever (it's called DK unlimited zoom I think, not sure where I got it). But, this doesn't include the stability fixes. One of the main problems with it was it hates mutliple cores, as it was made way before their large scale adoption. So you could kind of fix that by limiting it to one. But that has a weird issue (for me) in that it stopped he network games from working... I'd have to get one of the other clients to make the gam and join that...:D

Back