Dungeon Keeper 1/2!

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
I just noticed that GOG now has dungeon keeper 1 and 2 listed (I only bought 2 because 1 makes my eyes hurt now :() Which is good because I have no idea where I put the disk...

The game works fine on windows 7 64bit and there are simple edits to get higher resolutions. There are a few issues with this, such as it being a vert- game the higher resolutions make it more and more zoomed in (so I only went up to 1680x1050). It doesn't allow alt+tabbing (theres a "windowed mode" option in the registry set as "0" but setting at "1" just stops the game loading for me. Might have to play around with that a bit :D The game does allow 1600x1200 as one of the default resolutions, but I have no monitor with 1200 vertically to try this. Also note the menu/map section at the begining is locked to 640x480 whatever the game resolution.

Original 640x480
20p964o.jpg

And
1680x1050 so you can see the zooming effect :D (resized to 1600x1000 by host)

Anyway:
Dungeon Keeper ($5.99)
and
Dungeon Keeper 2 ($5.99)

Comes fully patched to 1.7, with the editor. There is no DRM, as there was only a disk check to start with. So you can play people with the same copy or just pay $5.99 again you cheapass! :p).

Multiplayer worked fine on the home network. One slight thing is when you first try to launch multiplayer it will come up with the usual windows firewall notification box. But, as the game fills the screen and wont switch to the notification window you wont see this until you exit the game. So go to multiplayer > TCP/IP, search for games then exit the game. Allow firewall access then reload the game. For internet multiplayer i'm guessing hamachi would work fine.

Oh and while were at it. I hope War for the overworld (community made DK3) gets finished soon. So go bug them to finish it :D

Very cool. I may have to buy that. I still try and play DK2 once in a while. I actually built a separate machine with older hardware running XP so it would work. I'd be quite pleased to find I could play it on my Win7 machine

Very cool. I may have to buy that. I still try and play DK2 once in a while. I actually built a separate machine with older hardware running XP so it would work. I'd be quite pleased to find I could play it on my Win7 machine

It was one of my favirote games of my childhood so I have fond memories of it (though according to the rating I was way way too young to be playing it!)! I am still hoping for an official sequel or something! Games like this just don't seem to be made anymore, which were the games which used to be unique to the PC (also god games! Why is there no populous! from dust doesn't count!).

I have a few VMs for various things, like win98 for grim fandango and sacrifice :D This does run without a hitch, apart from what I listed above! It was well worth the price!

The newer clone doesn't do it for me. DK and DK2 were far superior.

Which newer clone? The dungeons game or war for the overworld? Dungeons was terribad :( The creatures in it just hung around the symbols you placed, and were next to useless. 2343435688 level 4 creatures defending a corridor would be killed by 2 level 1 elf somethings. So the only way to defend was to run the player character to every single fight. The gameplay was bad in many other ways too, even when not comparing it to DK!

Favorite RTS of all time. They need to get back on the DK3 bandwagon at EA. The thing I liked about this game was that you could somewhat build up as rushing was impossible.

Favorite RTS of all time. They need to get back on the DK3 bandwagon at EA. The thing I liked about this game was that you could somewhat build up as rushing was impossible.

As long as Peter Molyneux isn't involved. He'll ruin it with sky high ideals that will end up being crushing realities.

These were some of the best games ever. The voiceover work was stellar and the gameplay was easy to get into and addicting as hell.

I'm out of work without a pot to piss in and even I might snag these for less than $12 combined.

Thanks for the post!

Playing through 2 again now, as a matter of fact. Of course, i still have my original disk, and the game playes just fine unpatched on a windows 7 machine. The only issue is i have to restart the game after every mission, because something crashes. Not a deal breaker though, just restart the game.

Will probably pick up a copy from GoG, simply because they rock, and having some or all of the issues resolved would be nice.

From what I understand, the GOG copy of DK2 still requires workarounds under certain circumstances and is still not 100% stable under Win 7.

Seems like GOG and the community are actively working on making the game more playable though.

DONE. Not perfect by any stretch. Have to click the mouse immediately after the intro screen or the game crashes. And still, it crashes quite a bit.

That kind of blows, actually. What else is there for GOG to do before they offer a game for sale besides making it work flawlessly on current machines.

I'll be more weary of buying from them in the future based on this one.

Which newer clone? The dungeons game or war for the overworld? Dungeons was terribad :( The creatures in it just hung around the symbols you placed, and were next to useless. 2343435688 level 4 creatures defending a corridor would be killed by 2 level 1 elf somethings. So the only way to defend was to run the player character to every single fight. The gameplay was bad in many other ways too, even when not comparing it to DK!

Yea, Dungeons. The demo just screamed "Stay away!".

Though, I still want to shit in your sister's hair every time you say "terribad".

DONE. Not perfect by any stretch. Have to click the mouse immediately after the intro screen or the game crashes. And still, it crashes quite a bit.

That kind of blows, actually. What else is there for GOG to do before they offer a game for sale besides making it work flawlessly on current machines.

I'll be more weary of buying from them in the future based on this one.

Yeah, I kinda suspected this would be the case. I've held off getting the GOG version since I already have 2 CD copies of DK2 and it seems their version hasn't added any significant compatibility or stability updates.

I was hoping they were going to release the title all patched up so it runs perfect under Win 7, but that would be a longshot without the source code.

DK2 has always had sketchy stability under Win 7 and the GOG release sadly hasn't remedied this :(

Yeah, I kinda suspected this would be the case. I've held off getting the GOG version since I already have 2 CD copies of DK2 and it seems their version hasn't added any significant compatibility or stability updates.

I was hoping they were going to release the title all patched up so it runs perfect under Win 7, but that would be a longshot without the source code.

DK2 has always had sketchy stability under Win 7 and the GOG release sadly hasn't remedied this :(

I actually have it working pretty stable at this point. SLI is disabled, there is a -everything32bit command line switch, and using it in standard 800x600 resolution all seems to clear up a lot of the problems. Especially the -everything32bit. Until I used that it would crash during the Bullfrog intro.

Definitely annoyed that this wasn't "just exactly perfect" for Win7 since I still have the original DK2 discs. I imagine these workarounds work just as well on that version. Kind of a waste of $6, but then, soon, you won't be able to get a candy bar for $6, so no real loss there.

Then again, I wouldn't have even thought about trying this on Win7 again if not for the GOG.com release...

Back