Dumpster Diving!

Man, I sure envy you all, I live here in Cincinnati, Oh and I can't find a single place to dive at.

Every place I go to, they have gates on them or at the most have someone stay late night to prevent dumpster diving from happening.

Most places around where I live try to prevent anyone from doing dumpster diving.

If anyone living in the Cincinnati area that has successfully done dumpster diving let me know, I might join you one night.

it's hard, it took me a few nights to actually find places that i could dive at. try to look for smaller stores to dive at. some of my favorites around here are borders, GNC, media play, and whatever toy/hobby stores.

im going after school tomarow to the local dump to find whatever comys i can find. im looking for an old compy from the early 80's/late 70's to put a new motherboard in, and a PII or PIII for a friend, cause he needs a web server. ill post pics in the other thread of everything i get.

solidsnake31990 said:
im going after school tomarow to the local dump to find whatever comys i can find. im looking for an old compy from the early 80's/late 70's to put a new motherboard in, and a PII or PIII for a friend, cause he needs a web server. ill post pics in the other thread of everything i get.

Hope you have some luck there, our dump here compacts everything and then buries it to conserve space.

Scar1.8T said:
Hope you have some luck there, our dump here compacts everything and then buries it to conserve space.
ive found plenty of beige booty at the dump before. christmas is the best time to go.

I don't believe your allowed to go into our dump searching for stuff.

THo, I used to know a guy that worked there...and OMFG the shit he would find!

One time, back in the 90s, a massive Toys R Us truck came, and just dumped a fuckload of NES consoles and games.

And, atleast the ones he nabbed and brought home, worked!!

Komataguri said:
I don't believe your allowed to go into our dump searching for stuff.

THo, I used to know a guy that worked there...and OMFG the shit he would find!

One time, back in the 90s, a massive Toys R Us truck came, and just dumped a fuckload of NES consoles and games.

And, atleast the ones he nabbed and brought home, worked!!
i know the owner of the dump, so he says that i can get compys whenever i want.

solidsnake31990 said:
ive found plenty of beige booty at the dump before. christmas is the best time to go.

I always try to do a massive round of curb diving at the first pickup after christmas, intercept it all before it goes to the dump. I have a couple K6-2 laptops sitting here that I found this past christmas. They make nice little folding boxes seeing as they use next to no power.

Scar1.8T said:
I always try to do a massive round of curb diving at the first pickup after christmas, intercept it all before it goes to the dump. I have a couple K6-2 laptops sitting here that I found this past christmas. They make nice little folding boxes seeing as they use next to no power.

Hehe, I did that to this past christmas.

Wasn't much but boxes tho

Scar1.8T said:

just what I need to post from the couch. I'll buy one for $25. ;)

I found my wife which was actually my best friends mom who was doing a bum at the time. I think the smell of the Chinese Food knocked me senseless

I wanna see more pics. I want proof before I go climbing into yucky dumpsters that good stuff can really be found.

Dumpster diving is the greatest. I just recently moved into an appartment (I live in Iowa City/Coralville IA area) building that is close a copier repair/stereo business (in a stip mall type thing), and there are 4 or 5 dumpsters just for my appartment building (only two have good things in them usually), plus other business in near the shopping center. It is an awesome place to DD. Over the last several months I've found 2 Pentium II 400mhz computers, 1 1.1ghz Athlon (Thunderbird), 4 6 ft monster cables, various car & home stereo cables, and an all-in-one printer/scanner. The non-electronic items I've found include: 2 handmade ceramic candle holders, an adjustable bedframe (at least I didn't take the bed, who knows what happened on it), and 2 stools. It is amazing how much working/useful stuff is thrown out everyday. I kinda wish people would stop being so wasteful, but that would mean less stuff for me :D

Komataguri said:
Hehe, I did that to this past christmas.

Wasn't much but boxes tho

Sorry guys, the day after last xmas i was cozy with a cup of java playing with my new games and gear, not digging through someones garbage lol.. sorry I'm just not that desperate for someones used junk to go scrounging through peoples trash..

My Fav DD places are behind the local KFC and Pizza Hut. mmMMMMmmm!!
Always get a full meal =)

I have GOT to try this :D I'm going to be in Raleigh this weekend so I might try it.

If I can find the right places... I have a hunch that the compactors may not be too much of a problem-- you just have to get there before they run it ;)

starhawk said:
I have a hunch that the compactors may not be too much of a problem-- you just have to get there before they run it ;)
And hope they don't run it while you are in it. I would never mess around with compactors.

starhawk said:
If I can find the right places... I have a hunch that the compactors may not be too much of a problem-- you just have to get there before they run it ;)

It might not be a good idea to hop in any compator, period. #1, you can run the risk of being crushed, #2 bodily injury, #3 To give an example, I work at Best Buy as a Computer Area Manager, and every Best Buy not only has a compactor, but the compators are actually wired into the Alarm System, last thing you need is to have your local SWAT team show up. Yes, I am being serious, if an alarm goes off like that, one squad car won't show up, SWAT will. So don't get me wrong, DDing can be decent, but a compactor is nowhere near worth it.

NessyROS said:
It might not be a good idea to hop in any compator, period. #1, you can run the risk of being crushed, #2 bodily injury, #3 To give an example, I work at Best Buy as a Computer Area Manager, and every Best Buy not only has a compactor, but the compators are actually wired into the Alarm System, last thing you need is to have your local SWAT team show up. Yes, I am being serious, if an alarm goes off like that, one squad car won't show up, SWAT will. So don't get me wrong, DDing can be decent, but a compactor is nowhere near worth it.

Yeah, b/c the criminals that warrant spending a ton of tax dollars to active a special crew of people are breaking in to dumpsters. set the national alert to orange for that.

@jpmkm: you don't get IN it :eek: that's worthy of a Darwin Award in and of itself. You just stick to the top foot or two of the area you can reach from outside.

@NessyROS: I wondered why they didn't guard the dang things, aside from not caring enough to pay anyone :rolleyes: So much for my dreams of a "free" 6800 that someone returned and just needed a little prodding :rolleyes: yah, I know, that one was a pipe dream to begin with...I think I'm going to scratch *that* idea.

Maybe poking around Circuit City would be a better idea... :p they owe me one for a POS Packard Bell they sold me a few years ago that had MAJOR memory problems... basic story goes like this: got a Legend 402CD from them, they said 8MB RAM would be enough. Well, guess what? If you're going to do *anything* in Win95, you need at least 16MB. So I haggle with them for a while, and they try to blame it on Microsoft, and we go back and forth for like two weeks. They finally upgraded it to 16MB... but they got their revenge. The d*** thing never worked right since... my guess is that the ticked-off underpaid teen who had to deal with it, put in a bad stick on purpose.

@SpangeMonkee: lol... more like they don't want to actually risk someone getting something free when they could sell it for a $100 profit by marking it at an atrocious price.

SpangeMonkee: Yea, I know it sounds stupid, but whenever an alarm of some sort goes off, it is usually called to managers first, with local PD already on the way, depending on the alarm is what depends on what will show up from PD. Blame BBY Corporate for being so anal retentive, considering a "typical" Best Buy has between 2.5 and 3 million dollars of merchandise in the building.

Starhawk: to burst your bubble even more, no actual product of ANY sort is thrown out at a Best Buy, it is all shipped to a sort center, and like a 6800, those are shipped back to BFG. Hell, the most you could get out of a BBY compactor if you felt extremely froggy would be empty coke bottles, trash, food from the break room, cardboard, and paper. Very rarely does anything besides that go in.

Most compactors at large B&Ms that I have encountered are fed by a chute from inside the building anyways, with no access to the outside. I too am never getting in a compactor either.

Please please please never dumpster dive in a trash compactor! Trash compactors are for what .. hmmm .. oh yeah, compacting trash. What if you're in the compactor and someone accidently turns it on? Yeah, I know the probability of this is very low, but I would prefer to not be crushed in a giant dumpster; it just doesn't seem pleasent.

I need to start going again, I've not dove in almost 4 months

lol, i've been layin' low for a month. Tried popping out of the dumpster just as the rent-a-cop came out for a smoke. Lucky me he went inside to get a friend, I was 1/2 a block away walking casual when they came out to watch me.

/me slaps myself for diving when cars were parked there! : /

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
GNC, eww...! Why would you want old/expired vitamins and energy drinks o_O.
most are still good after their labeled expiration date, and they do throw out quite a bit of expired products :cool:

As far as I ever got to dumpster diving was when our next door neighbors was throwing away their patio furniture.

Some excuse of not wanting to repaint it, so he was going to throw it out. My mother and father needed some patio furniture, they were going to go out and buy something later, so I saved them the hassle.

I took the furniture off of my neighbors hands and repainted it, then placed it on our back porch. This stuff was made of cast iron too, with a table along with four chairs.

ya cha cha said:
Im not sure if this counts as dumpster diving but me and three of my friends found 4 pairs of brand new shoes hanging on a telephone wire behind the B-side store. Using a long pole we found, they held it and I climbed up and got all the shoes.

Umm not sure if anyones mentioned this yet, but that means they sell crack there. Seriously.

Had 4 pairs hanging at my old place in Cali lol.

-wil

Scorpionjwp said:
Man, I sure envy you all, I live here in Cincinnati, Oh and I can't find a single place to dive at.

Every place I go to, they have gates on them or at the most have someone stay late night to prevent dumpster diving from happening.

Most places around where I live try to prevent anyone from doing dumpster diving.

If anyone living in the Cincinnati area that has successfully done dumpster diving let me know, I might join you one night.

i grew up in newport, there isnt shit to dive around here

hey im going to be moving to tempe, arizona in the fall for college, and i need some new diving partners down there. anyone interested?

Went tonight with a co-worker after close.. I live about 20mi in between two small cities (pop 40k).. So we went to the first one (Findlay, Ohio) and the first place we stopped was walmart.. I was amazed to find no compactor.. so we were in a big "rail car style dumpster".. and unearthed a boxed patio set. Came with a glass end table, 4 chairs, and two folding chairs, all brand new. Had a price sticker of $188 still on it. So somehow we shoved all the chairs into my intrepid, and along with a roll mat from staples, cruised to other places. Stopping at eb-games didn't yield much (eb games is in a strip mall with "pet supplies plus" ... and my god some of the dumpsters smelled so bad, you'd lift the lid and taste instant throw-up!)

But anyways, we went to the mall.. bestbuy.. all trash compactors.. nothing good. So we went home, happy that we nabbed a $188 patio set.. Then we decided to try the other town...(Lima, Oh) not much there, checked the mall.. walmart.. rex.. office max.. office depot.. you name it. Finally we stopped at "Custom Audio Concepts" and in their dumpster was a dvd player (car.. looked like it had been //racial slur here// rigged), so we left it. But there was also a 15" Alpine Type-R subwoofer, that had some slight cosmetic damage we nabbed. Then we went to blockbuster and grabbed about 70 dvd cases. And now it's 5+ am in the morning, time to call it quits and go to bed. If I wake up before I have to go to work, I'll take pictures of the stuff we found.. was pretty fun. ;)

Pics...

I don't have an amp, can anyone tell me if I can hook the sub up to a home theater reciever (or perhaps just the 52w HU) to see if it works?

Also, I didn't get pics of the folding chairs that came with the patio set, cuz my friend took it. We also got little things like an alltel cell clip, blockbuster t-shirt, keychain, pens, etc.

(didn't put images in IMG format because they're big - straight from camera)

Cushions (still in plastic, and "end table" in cardboard box..
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0004.JPG
Another shot.
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0005.JPG
Patio Chairs
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0006.JPG
Tag + my hand
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0007.JPG
Sub + Chair mat
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0008.JPG
Damage to sub
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0009.JPG
Side Sub
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0010.JPG
DVD Cases
http://intensecs.com/DSCF0011.JPG

Was a good time. Can tell you that after that, I'll be going again. ;)

Oh4Sh0 said:
Pics...

I don't have an amp, can anyone tell me if I can hook the sub up to a home theater reciever (or perhaps just the 52w HU) to see if it works?

no. the ohm rating has to be the same. typically car stuff is 4ohms, where as home stuff is usually 8 ohms. if there is not enough resistance, it could burn up your stereo.

Thanks! Thought so, but some kid at work was telling me you could hook it up to a house stereo system.. :)

On another note, would hooking it up to the HU work - would the HU put out enough power for anything to happen? lol

I just found out that its legal in Charlotte! woohoooohoo.

found a new tv.. apparently the hotel threw it out just because the bottom of the box were damp.. its small though, i think 20"-ish

Back