Dumpster Diving!

My solution? Carry a big-ass (four D-Cell) Mag-Lite with me. If anything is alive, just beat it until it stops moving. Great for when those mutant trash bags try to devour you as you stand on them.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Thrash
My solution? Carry a big-ass (four D-Cell) Mag-Lite with me. If anything is alive, just beat it until it stops moving. Great for when those mutant trash bags try to devour you as you stand on them.

:rolleyes:
Well I use a 3D maglite but I really don't feel like fighting wild animals. I didn't know what the hell was in there and I didn't want to find out.

Stopped by officemax tonight.

Found:

pouches.jpg

11 nice pencil pouch thingies

certificates.jpg

11 packs of 25 certificates each, blank so you can print on em.

notebooks.jpg

Like 10 or so assorted notebooks.

That was just right on top. There were also several boxes of dot matrix paper...didn't feel like getting in, and too heavy to lift from the angle I was at.

I wonder what the 00¢ means. Ive never seen that.

Good find though, i wonder why they chucked them.

can the stickers peel off without too much of a fuss? If they are a royal hell to get off, and tear up as they come off, it might be their way of "slashing" them. They figure you may not try to return them for store credit if they have those on there, or they are torn as they come off.

Dane

Originally posted by nochay
can the stickers peel off without too much of a fuss? If they are a royal hell to get off, and tear up as they come off, it might be their way of "slashing" them. They figure you may not try to return them for store credit if they have those on there, or they are torn as they come off.

Dane

Not really, most of the notebooks have plastic covers which those stickers come off of quite easity.

Did some dumpster diving tonight..just got back actually. It was great, we hit up this spot that I found last time I went. It was an industrial park...with a brand new Pfizer building. So we drive around back again....now last time, I really didn't look to hard through the pile of junked computer stuff...this time I did. First time I went I found a working 17" Samsung Syncmaster 710S....this time I found a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 750s :D (yet to test). After we got this baby...we hit up a bunch of other places.
We went to 2 Staples stores, Officemax, and many many others. Here's what we came up with (that I can remember):

1 packaged copy of Norton Antivirus 2004 Corporate (in package)
2 packaged copies of Turbotax deluxe (brand new)
2 printers: A fairly new HP and an older lexmark I believe
1 box of Staples Floppys (in package)
1 250MB Zip Disk
8-10 Various notebooks (All Brand new)
1 USB high speed printer cable (in package)
30-40 Rolls of packing tape (I got some ideas for this) :D
1 400W Power Converter ( I guess its for car audio:confused: )

Like I said...this is all I can remember. I'll post again when I go through it all. BTW...most of this stuff is for sale. Just PM me with offers...

Printer? Model? What printer? I didnt read anything...He said a USB Printer Cable..Didnt see a printer.

Originally posted by NotSoSimple
Printer? Model? What printer? I didnt read anything...He said a USB Printer Cable..Didnt see a printer.

OMG.

Reread garzilla04's post......................... i think you'll find it this time. Hehe

lol yea I found 2 printers, just for clarification...:D. But yea I'll take a look at it all today, and let you know the model numbers...etc. The only thing is my friend has half of the stuff in his car..at his house. I have both monitors, 1 of the printers......bunch of other stuff.

Originally posted by mjcason
anyone know of any choice dumpsters in minneapolis area just thought id ask
Don't know any choice dining areas in east bumblefrick...why do you ask btw? :p

I have GOT to try this once I start driving. I knew a few potential diving spots around here.

My dad is friends with the guy who runs the warehouse for Savvis Communications. I'm sure I could get a shitload of free/cheap old computer stuff, but it's more fun if you have to dig for it :D

Yea that power converter...it works :D. Now I just gotta find a small TV and I can play PS2 in my car...awwww yea. Oh yea and one of the monitor's I found work. This is definetly gonna be a weekly thing for me.

Shits lol, I got to find some ppl in my area to go diving with lol :) Anybody in/near the DFW area :D

Originally posted by AJG199
once again.... anyone in milwaukee? :D

AJ
I'm in Milwaukee (well, West Allis)...but I really debate DDing. I'm fricking 28yrs old, I'll likely break a hip or something!

And then there's that warrant...

Yah so anyway, um, I'll think about it.

BC

24 Feb 04

Haven't posted any finds in a while.

I posted in the general forum that they had locked one of my favorite dumpsters. Well, I guess it was short lived, because after the first week it was unlocked ever since.

Having not found anything cool (or unbroken) in quite some time, I've been avoiding Selpats because I don't want to waste a trip.

Last night I was in the area anyway, so I figured, "what the hell."

Oh, man! Glad I did! Right on top I found a Kensington cordless keyboard/mouse combo pack. The seal was broken, but everything was intact, including the batteries. Since they were still open, I opted to take my find home and test it, and come back later.

Got home, tested it, it works just fine!

Went back ~10:30. As I was pulling in to the lot, a police car was pulling out. I kept an eye out to see what he was doing, and sure enough, he turned right around and headed my way. There was no way I was heading right to the dumpster, so I headed for the movie theatre next door (this is a small town, so nothing in this 'mall' is terribly large.

Now, this is Monday, and it's 10:30 at night. Luckily there will still cars in the lot: three of them. I parked and headed into the theatre. The manager is outside, and I ask to look at the video games in the lobby. Luckily he says yes. I go inside for a moment, give them a gander, and come back out. The cruiser is parked a short distance away.

I strike up a conversation with the manager. I've spoken with him before about games, but he clearly does not remember as it was some time ago. Mention that I do arcade games as a hobby, mostly classic stuff like Galaga and Pac-Man. He's interested if I could put a cabinet in his lobby. Cruiser finally leaves.

Go around back, and start poking in the dumpster. There's GOLD in them thar dumpsters!

What I remember, all in one box:

Motorized Disc Dr
Standard Disc Dr
Sony Mavica Starter Kit
Four laptop USB 2.0 PC Cards
Electric Xerox hole punch
Misc software (Lord of the Rings, MusicMatch)
Universal PDA Keyboard
Three USB hubs
Handheld Calculator (didn't work, back to the dumpster)
USB Cordless Travel Mouse (can't get it to work yet, will operate)
Serial --> USB adaptor

And much much more! I can't belive my good fortune!

Tried my usual dumpster route the other day and nearly left a trail out of my pant legs. Walked up to the 10 yard box behind the CUSA and out pops this dude throwing out a box! Nearly lost it.lol. Asked dude if he found anything good and he tells me "I'm just taking the boxes." right. I should have pulled rank on him as this dumpster has been a honeypot. But WTH we all gotta share.

I'm in Milwaukee. Fox Point, to be specific, but I couldn't really get out to try this out anytime soon, but I'll definitely try this out once I have access to a car and such.

So has anyone tried diving in the NYC area? Specially, in like Queens, around Queens Blvd, places like Compusa, Circuit City, Best Buy and etc? If anyones interested, i say we set something up.

Anyone in the Omaha, Nebraska area?

I don't have a car so diving is a bit of a hassle for me. :(

I have found several computers and monitors, though.

So, i just read through about half this stuff here and i have decided that i cant wait to do this.

Is anyone here from around Atlanta? I'm up north of there in Woodstock, so if anyone is around here give me a holla!

Originally posted by andy71600
So, i just read through about half this stuff here and i have decided that i cant wait to do this.

Is anyone here from around Atlanta? I'm up north of there in Woodstock, so if anyone is around here give me a holla!

I live in East Cobb..

J Ferry & Shallowford..

Originally posted by punt
Anyone in the Omaha, Nebraska area?

I don't have a car so diving is a bit of a hassle for me. :(

I have found several computers and monitors, though.
Lincoln, ne

After reading this thread a while ago we've been thinking about going diving for a long time but haven't. Until last friday hehe.

We went to Fry's and found two 17" monitors someone had just dumped off there and not bothered to put in the dumpster yet even.

We then headed to a local comp shop and looked in thier dumpster. Nothing. We noticed a few barrels and stuff in the corner of the dumpster enclosure and checked them out a bit.
One of them turned out to be a completely full KEG OF COORS. We took that and now its sitting in my friends room until we aquire a tap.

Both monitors worked, except one is a little dark and the brightness/contrast broken. Definately going to dive weekly now I think. Its freakin awesome.

Originally posted by sponrad
One of them turned out to be a completely full KEG OF COORS. We took that and now its sitting in my friends room until we aquire a tap.

BEST FIND EVER

Alright I'm heading out. I didn't find anything all last week so there HAS to be something out there tonight. I need to get some dental floss anyway so the trip won't be a complete waste I guess.
edit: didn't find a damn thing. :mad:

Any pictures? Reminds me of that 70's show!

Dane

Not a Coors man, but that is the greatest find evar:eek: :p

Edited cause beer makes me happy.

I live very near Longview, WA and I just found out that this city is first in the USA to make dumpster diving illegal. There is a $125 fine for anyone caught.

Originally posted by andy71600

i'm in alpharetta :)

Originally posted by mcravenufo
I live very near Longview, WA and I just found out that this city is first in the USA to make dumpster diving illegal. There is a $125 fine for anyone caught.

That's it? ;)

I've been diving for two years now and have already found stuff worth much more than that. I wonder what it puts on your record?

Originally posted by mcravenufo
did you find out the hard way?

Back