Dumpster Diving FAQ

Have any of you guys tried your local dump? The one in my area has a computer recycling center which is just a large shipping container filled with nothing but computer parts. I always bring some things to leave and some times find good things to take back.

Powermac G3
Dell Optiplex
2 Dell Ultrasharps
several keyboards/mice

its amazing what people will throw out.

Have any of you guys tried your local dump? The one in my area has a computer recycling center which is just a large shipping container filled with nothing but computer parts. I always bring some things to leave and some times find good things to take back.

Powermac G3
Dell Optiplex
2 Dell Ultrasharps
several keyboards/mice

its amazing what people will throw out.

Nice finds.

I encountered the same thing at our county dump. I was dropping off a computer and noticed two Dell Inspirion Cases in the bin with a wireless card antenna sticking out the back. I asked the guy there if I could pick through there and ended up just taking both cases with me. I scored a couple decent video cards, a LinkSys Wireless G card and some computer components.

I'd go more often to it but it's about a 20 minute drive so it's hard to justify wasting gas driving out there.

I'm considering this. Last week or so at university they dump all kinds of stuff overfilling the dumpsters by day.

thinking about trying this sometime this week with the girlfriend. love finding random crap to do, and this could actually score me something (other than you know what, lol)

Does anybody know if dumpster diving is illegal in kentucky?
Also does anybody live in paducah, kentucky if so pm me i would like to start dding but dont want to do it alone my first few times

Does anybody know if dumpster diving is illegal in kentucky?
Also does anybody live in paducah, kentucky if so pm me i would like to start dding but dont want to do it alone my first few times

No idea to the answer of your question, but just commenting on what a small world this is.
I have never heard of Paducah, KY in my life.
And just a few days ago I applied for a anesthesia position at their local hospital, and I'm seeing it again here.

Curious if anyone knows the DDing laws here in Terre Haute, Indiana. As far as I have seen, there is not any law against it (besides the normal trespassing laws, etc).

I DD from my school's electronics recycling all the time. Found a nice 8-bay supermicro dual xeon last year. Other nice things...

Check schools!

I recently found a working 32MB usb stick in my local dumpster!

DD is addictive just another form of hoarders disease, so be careful or your house and garage will soon be too full for you to find a place to sleep in

ok, so I think I just scored my best dumpster dive ever. And it was only one item.

One of the neighbors down the road has a construction dumpster and I decided to look in it when I was taking a walk with the little ones today. It was at the edge on the very top.

It is a Yamaha DX7 II FD synthesizer from the 80's.

It powers on but I need to get an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter so I can see if it actually works.

Word of advice, not sure if it has been mentioned or not. Don't dumpster dive at manufacturing plants. Many of their "dumpsters" aren't actually dumpsters but rather scrap bins. They sell the scrap for money. You will get arrested and thrown in jail if caught in those.

Pics from a time long ago......

Worked at the mall in the mid-late 90s and my arcade manager found a few 6ft stand at folding tables at the dumpster. Thrown away because the screws for the folding arms ripped out from the board, no other damage. Kept one, repaired it better than new and used it as a work bench.
PICT0020.jpg

Used to live in an apartment complex near the dumpsters, picked out a couple desk frames. This one had a damaged top and nasty built up grime on the frame. Hit the grime with orange cleaner and bleach, slapped a 2x4ft plywood board on top, and bought some rolling casters from Ace Hardware across the street, now I had a rolling table.
PICT0021.jpg

Back