Dumbest thing you've done?

While swapping CPU's on a motherboard I forced it in and bent a few pins. R.I.P. $190 Motherboard....

The event that got me into working on PCs. Formatted the C: drive in DOS 3.3. My father made it clear that if he didn't have a working computer in the morning, I wasn't sitting for a week.

Of course, after getting it all up and running, he bought me my own computer to mess up. ;)

1. Connected a USB bracket to all 5 pins of a motherboard USB port that used the 5th pin for current sense instead of chassis ground, as the bracket did. IOW the ground was shorted to +5V, but the bracket melted only slightly.

2. Fixed an Antec power supply and tested it without reinstalling the cover. Then I pressed on the AC power connection and made the back of the case touch a big heatsink with 300+ volts riding on it, causing a spark and shut down. I expected a lot of fried parts, but not even the fuse popped, and the PSU still worked (after I reinstalled the cover).

3. Followed MSI's directions for updating a BIOS, contrary to the recommendations of the moderator of MSI's forums who warned against that. I had to do an SPI flash from another computer's parallel printer port and SPIPGM2.

Does my last girlfriend count?

Anyways probably when I forced the power cable to the motherboard in wrong and messed up the board. Had powering down issues ever since.

First ever water loop, got the last parts, got them assembled, so excited to get it going.

Got the distilled water, hmmm, I need something with a thin spout to get this in the fillport, rummage around under the sink and find this little watering can, perfect!

Noticed later that the loop looked kind of cloudy..."hey honey, was there anything in your little watering can under the sink?"

Oh yeah, I inoculated my brand new loop with super high test organic plant food.

I'll chip in. When I was a mom-and-pop PC technician (back in the days of AT cases and power supplies), I mis-wired the power switch to an AT power supply. I turned the PC on at the switch and immediately blew the store breaker. The power switch cable was a molten mess. Never made that mistake again :)
+1. Did that back in the day also..

First ever water loop, got the last parts, got them assembled, so excited to get it going.

Got the distilled water, hmmm, I need something with a thin spout to get this in the fillport, rummage around under the sink and find this little watering can, perfect!

Noticed later that the loop looked kind of cloudy..."hey honey, was there anything in your little watering can under the sink?"

Oh yeah, I inoculated my brand new loop with super high test organic plant food.

Sweet, did you get some kelp growing in your loop? ;)

oh yeah, I may have unleashed a whole new lifeform on humanity, I tried to kill it but pretty sure it escaped

Awesome, now we just need to hope it doesn't find the mojo...

Back