Dumb Vista Question

Gillette

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a legit license for Vista Business...

Any reason to shell out the money for Home Ultimate if I'm not going to use VMC? From everything I've seen there isn't but maybe I've missed something somewhere.

depends if you want any of the other applications. more than likely no.

...if they would just add Remote Desktop host to Home Premium... Ultimate would be... ultimately useless.

...if they would just add Remote Desktop host to Home Premium... Ultimate would be... ultimately useless.

Well, er ah... you CAN....... ;)

I've long maintained Ultimate is a waste. Unless you get it for free, or are some sort of poser that just feels superior by owning the "Ultimate".

Yeah Ultimate is basically worthless. The only reason I have it is because I wanted Media Center stuff and I could get a copy for $20 (being a student FTW!).

I would be very pleased to find out how to host a remote desktop session with Vista Home Premium.

Yeah Ultimate is basically worthless. The only reason I have it is because I wanted Media Center stuff and I could get a copy for $20 (being a student FTW!).
Umm.. Media Center is included in the lowly Home Premium.

Have you guys checked out DreamScenes? :D

I've long maintained Ultimate is a waste. Unless you get it for free, or are some sort of poser that just feels superior by owning the "Ultimate".

What about us that are on Windows domains at home, but want media center?

I would be very pleased to find out how to host a remote desktop session with Vista Home Premium.
I don't know if I kept that information or not, now that I think about it. Let me dig around.

Edit- actually found it.
Not sure if it's 100% "appropriate" or considered against the rules so I'm PM a mod to make sure I can post it.

What about us that are on Windows domains at home, but want media center?
I'd say you are in the VERY SLIM minority.

diffyo8.jpg

This should help.

I use Vista Business x64 and do not miss ANY of the things that Ultimate has.

Does that still work with SP1? I did it a while ago, but as soon as I upgraded to SP1 it didn't work anymore. Granted I didn't bother to try it again...

Does that still work with SP1? I did it a while ago, but as soon as I upgraded to SP1 it didn't work anymore. Granted I didn't bother to try it again...

It used to with SP1, at least my method (regedits and DLL change). However I just tried it again and it appears some Update along the road is preventing this from happening anymore... Who knows how long it has been, as I rarely RDP into my home machine!

It's very odd that Vista Business doesn't support BitLocker.

I also didn't know that Home Premium didn't support Volume Shadow Copy. That should be a standard feature. Some odd choices there.

I wish Ultimate would support a free virtual machine license. I actually thought it did when I set out to purchase Ultimate, but then I found out that only Ultimate "with Software Assurance" allows free VMs. Ultimate Extras are absolutely useless.

With Windows 7 coming out some time in the next year, I feel slightly ripped off buying Ultimate and Home Premium. I guess I'm spoiled by the longevity of XP.

Windows games - no
Bitlocker - no
DVD/Movie maker - no

Any other features I should be aware of between the two?

Domain login is the reason I use Ultimate over Home Premium myself.. other than the fact that I got it free from Windows Feedback Program lol

I tried it, yeah. I thought it was worthless. Just more resources being used than I needed.

Pretty much, but it is cool. When I have company over and want to "dress" things up a bit, for example...actually clean the house, pick things up, etc, I also throw up dream scene.. it makes non-puter people go Wow! :D

Been doing that sort of thing with WinDVD 5 for nearly 7 years now. It has a "Video Desktop" mode (sorta like what that person mentioned about VLC, but WinDVD was doing it years before anyone else did). Pretty neat stuff to watch a movie that way sometimes, or just let it play in the background. Currently Die Hard 4 on tap... ;)

Business has Games, but you have to choose them and install them.

I own it and I didn't get it for free, still trying to figure out how I am a poser? The seems a little out of line for [H] rules.

Personally I got Ultimate because I got a great deal on it, but I still don't see how that makes me or anyone else here on [H] a poser.

Ya just gotta understand where Techie is coming from... once you get his sense of humor, it makes perfect sense. Same could be said for quite a few of us around here, and some others would do well not to pounce on comments so readily and take 'em with such a personal slant.

His comment wasn't directed at any specific person, so what's the issue?

Back