Dumb question... which version for older GPU?

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
So I've been running the latest v7 for a while now... and never realized my GPU (HD4890) wasn't supported, so I've only been folding on the CPU.

Which older version do I need to revert back to to have SMP and GPU folding all in one?

Cheers.

v7 was when the made an all in one client...

4xxx series have been degraded and support has been discontinued.
Wu's dried up in June.
The OpenCL core only supports 5k and up...
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22290&p=222805&view=show#p222805

That said... FAH only uses rudimentary OpenCL and is terribly tuned.
The fah performance pulled out of AMD cards is pathetic.

I recommend using CPU only until they wake up and make a decent AMD client.
Or you can reward them and get a nvidia card....

Patriot is correct, folding on ATi cards is pathetic. I used to fold on a 48xx card for awhile but the added heat and power draw weren't worth the hassle. ATi GPU folding also took more CPU resources and was a bigger hit to the CPU ppd. If you don't need/want to buy a new card just cpu fold.

Consider selling the HD4890 and getting an nVidia chip.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. No vid card upgrade in my near future, unfortunately. I guess I'll stick with simple CPU folding.

\

Must resist .........

Don't resist, buy it. I'll talk to my roommate and see what he wants to do, I gave him my old gtx 560 ti so he had best be willing to give a deal on it.

I've got a couple of GTX260s that are not folding right now. I was recently wondering what the best way (NOT v7) of getting those to fold?

I've got a couple of GTX260s that are not folding right now. I was recently wondering what the best way (NOT v7) of getting those to fold?
I just fired up a GTX260 here under another folders name. I used the GPU3 console client. GPU2 would also work fine.

I've got one machine that runs the 6.41r2 systray client for GPUs and the v7 for the CPU. Works fine, just set everything to start with windows and off you go.

Back