Duke Nuke Em Demo

Fuck you it's Duke Nukem!

I think y'all are starting to see a pattern here. lol.

I'd fire that same sentiment back at anyone that really is giving this subpar game a free pass just because it's Duke.

At some point people have to take off the nostalgic helmets and finally admit: After 12 years, Duke deserved better than THIS.

I have no problems admitting that and I love Duke.

There's NO way in hell most of of you would shit sideways on this thing if the Duke character and elements were not in this thing.

This is the kind of game where the trolls usually come out with: "This isn't even worth pirating" and all the rest of the nonsense. As it is, I'm waiting to see that come up before it's all said and done in at least one of these threads.

I'm actually having a little laugh at the expense of a few people here and especially in the PC gaming forum's thread that normally nitpick and hate on games they've never even seen before...months out no less... for FAR, FAR less than what's going on this thing but it's all good because it's Duke.

No, it's not "all" good. Not by a longshot.

Last edited:
Ill pick it up when its 10 bucks and only if it isnt a steamworks game.

Why not? It's a bargain bin game IMO and I would do the same to any other title I felt the same way about. I question how finished the game was when Gearbox got it. The last 2 years of "polishing" didn't seem to help much.

They didn't spend a lot of time polishing it in my opinion. They spent the time porting it to PS3 and X360

I've got Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, "Balls of Steel". Anyone who doesn't like "Duke Nukem" needs to get some balls, preferably their own if they can find them. All of you have pissed away a shitload more cash than this game is going to cost, so quit your your whining & kick some ass with the Duke. :D

I've got Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls, "Balls of Steel". Anyone who doesn't like "Duke Nukem" needs to get some balls, preferably their own if they can find them. All of you have pissed away a shitload more cash than this game is going to cost, so quit your your whining & kick some ass with the Duke. :D

I like Duke well enough that I wish he were in a better game than this.

They didn't spend a lot of time polishing it in my opinion. They spent the time porting it to PS3 and X360

yah... you hear that you console fan boys??? Its cuz of you that the game sucks! :D

Actually, I wasn't let down or impressed with the PC demo.

I am let down that it requires ShiTEAM however.

Pretty much what I expected, game like this appeal to me. Seems to suck up a LOT of power. All settings in game max and I'm getting about 35 FPS at 5760x1080 and the game isn't even using 1 GB of VRAM. It's perfectly playable and fluid, just seems a little bit on the slow side for the graphics. Will definitely pick this up at launch.

Why the fuck do you idiots keep saying that it's consolized? Duke Nukem has been on consoles much before this game was even a dream.

I liked the demo. So far it is a light game, nothing mind boggling, just one liners & fun. Will pickup the game eventually ...

Why the fuck do you idiots keep saying that it's consolized? Duke Nukem has been on consoles much before this game was even a dream.
I think people are frustrated over the Halo-esqe 2 weapon limit and regen health and the sluggish mouse response. Two are strange design decisions for Duke and one is just frustrating when games that are actually indeed console ports (like GTA4) can get mouse movement better than this one.

It doesn't ruin the demo, but it detracts from it.

I just sent in my request for a refund of my pre-order on steam.. hopefully they refund me, because this game was putrid. There was simply no polish, when I was fighting the big boss on the first level it was literally boring, he didn't move or react to the missile blasts, and was just all around boring.

This really is an insult to the duke franchise if you ask me... This game wouldn't of done well in 2006 as it stands, let alone 2011...

I think people are frustrated over the Halo-esqe 2 weapon limit and regen health and the sluggish mouse response. Two are strange design decisions for Duke and one is just frustrating when games that are actually indeed console ports (like GTA4) can get mouse movement better than this one.

It doesn't ruin the demo, but it detracts from it.

My mouse response felt fine, surround works but it looks like SLI isn't working out of the box, getting only 35 FPS on my sig rig at 5760x1080 and 75 FPS on my 1920x1200 single GTX 480 i7-920 at 3.3GHz.

I like Duke well enough that I wish he were in a better game than this.
We've been waiting a long time to kick ass & chew bubble gum & that's just what I'm going to do in a few weeks. I'm not even gonna play the demo, I already know what I'm getting into. When my pre-order comes in, I'm going to open the Duke Nukem shrine, load the game & enjoy the crap out of playing it, period Then we'll get all the PC video & game enhancements everyone's bitching about in the sequel, Duke Nukem Forever Plus One Day, in 12 more years ;)

Last edited:
Not really sure how one can tell if the game is any good or not from this "demo". It was more like a first look teaser. The first level was a game being played by a character in the game, they tried to make it look like a game and went as far as to putting scan lines on the screen enhance the look. It was sort of like a movie that starts with a flashback B&W shot and then transitions to the present day in color. The second level was just a shooting gallery with a quick little puzzle thrown in.

A little sneak peek like this was fine when they showed it at PAX and some other shows last year. It give people in line 10 minutes to play around and see that it is real. Most decent real game demos I have played are made to let the player see something is happening and that they have the power to stop it, thus making someone want to buy the game and continue playing. This demo was just there, it had no game to it. I'll give the demo a grade of D while the game still gets an Incomplete.

The controls need a little tweaking, and the two weapon limit is crap. Otherwise it is pretty much exactly what I expected it would be. Crude, hilarious, and the little slice of the demo was fun. If they fix the controls and the two weapon limit, I'll buy it when it hits the $30 or less range. Otherwise, I will wait for it to hit the sub $20 zone.

I'm not even gonna play the demo, I already know what I'm getting into.

No, you don't.

I'm really not trying to single anyone out here but some of what I've seen in the two Duke threads on this forum has been downright remarkable to witness in the worst way possible.

Most people, especially around here, normally bitch about the lack of demos to make an informed decision about something but now we have people that are going to deliberately deny themselves the incredibly easy way to make an informed decision.

Anything "because it's Duke!"

Incredible.

When my pre-order comes in, I'm going to open the Duke Nukem shrine, load the game & enjoy the crap out of playing it, period Then we'll get all the PC video & game enhancements everyone's bitching about in the sequel, Duke Nukem Forever Plus One Day, in 12 more years ;)

That's fine. You enjoy yourself. I'll be buying this in the sale bin in a couple of months. I expect the price to plummet quickly on the retail side. I'll get it for a song off of Amazon or Go Gamer in no time. It just isn't worth $45 or more to me, Duke property or not.

It isn't just the PC gamers voicing dissatisfaction and being less than impressed btw.

But if a license all by itself is enough to get some of you jazzed, honestly? More power to you. Hell, I envy you in some respects I guess.

I think it's a downright remarkable phenomenon to watch around here. This is a game, in and of itself, that I daresay probably at LEAST 90 percent of you...and I mean both PC and console gamers combined... wouldn't shit on six ways to Tuesday normally.

No way. No how. No sir.

And then some of the same people will go into Call of Duty threads bemoaning "sheep mentality" and the rest of it. Yeah, right. The most die hard of Call of Duty fanboys have nothing on the likes of some of this.

But it's Duke so it's all good. I think that's kind of sad myself.

Last edited:
It is a bit like dealing with Halo fanatics.

It is.

That being said: I think the Halo games are better than this. Granted, that's not saying much, but still.

Ohhhhh....now I'm really gonna get it. ;)

Meh, I thought it was fun enough to buy, just not @ the current price point. By the time I do pick it up, the devs or the community may have fixed my biggest beef with it. The two gun limit.

But yeah, they might string you up for that little quip. That, or the Halo fanatics will come in and set both of us straight on the wonders of Halo with the "eleventy bazillion Xbox gamers can't be wrong", spiel.

Meh, I thought it was fun enough to buy, just not @ the current price point. By the time I do pick it up, the devs or the community may have fixed my biggest beef with it. The two gun limit.

Agreed.

But yeah, they might string you up for that little quip. That, or the Halo fanatics will come in and set both of us straight on the wonders of Halo with the "eleventy bazillion Xbox gamers can't be wrong", spiel.

;)

After the roller coaster ride its been on in its development is anyone really surprised? I'm not. Some of you are acting like its supposed to be the next Half Life... I'm still surprised it's actually coming out. If it's on the same level as Serious Sam games then that will be fine with me.

If nothing else I'll get it out of nostalgia reasons but not until its under $30. I read it does have LAN play so if that's fun I'll pick it up sooner. Pretty sad when LAN gamers have to hunt for this feature in PC gamers nowadays. :(

After the roller coaster ride its been on in its development is anyone really surprised? I'm not. Some of you are acting like its supposed to be the next Half Life... I'm still surprised it's actually coming out. If it's on the same level as Serious Sam games then that will be fine with me.

Have you seen the media and footage for the new forthcoming Serious Sam game?

Here's a hint: It's going to blow this thing out of the water with ease.

If nothing else I'll get it out of nostalgia reasons but not until its under $30. I read it does have LAN play so if that's fun I'll pick it up sooner. Pretty sad when LAN gamers have to hunt for this feature in PC gamers nowadays. :(

Agreed.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this restricted BS. I guess it made sense to squeeze more sales out of Borderlands , and get pre-orders ( only for folks to cancel them after playing demo :p). But with some of the bad press the demo is receiving, and not giving other people access to form their own opinion, I'm not seeing this as a wise decision. Meh.

I still want to try it.

Have you seen the media and footage for the new forthcoming Serious Sam game?

Here's a hint: It's going to blow this thing out of the water with ease.

Agreed.

How can you tell? It just shows some action. For all we know it could have a 2 gun limit as well (LOL)

How can you tell? It just shows some action. For all we know it could have a 2 gun limit as well (LOL)

I honestly don't care if it does if everything else kicks ass. Everything last shred that's come out about that game strongly suggests that it's going probably kick ass.

That's another thing: People are nitpicking the hell out of the two gun limit in this but they can't see the forest for the trees, so to speak.

Step back, folks. This isn't a game that should command a $50 price tag based off this demo at least. Being able to carry a dozen guns or so wouldn't change that in the slightest, at least for me.

I honestly don't care if it does if everything else kicks ass. Everything last shred that's come out about that game strongly suggests that it's going probably kick ass.

That's another thing: People are nitpicking the hell out of the two gun limit in this but they can't see the forest for the trees, so to speak.

Step back, folks. This isn't a game that should command a $50 price tag based off this demo at least. Being able to carry a dozen guns or so wouldn't change that in the slightest, at least for me.

You can't see the forest because the demo isn't really expansive enough to see the forest, we've only got a couple of old trees to look at, lol. There's a lot of games that aren't worth $50 that are released at $50. I can look through my steam list of games I own and almost none of them I felt were worth $50.

The 2 gun limit is a very noticable flaw in the demo because clearly in the 2nd demo level they've purposely packed in a fuckload of weapons (I highly doubt in the actual game you'll be given a pistol, shotgun, rail gun, ripper chaingun, shrink ray and RPG all in 1 level).

There's plenty of other gripes going around too... low FOV (hopefully fixable in the final game), quicktime events (fuck you, I'm not pounding the shit out of my space bar, not even for Duke), fucked up post processing that makes the game look worse than if you'd just left it off, level design is a bit shit (though hopefully the full game is better), meaningless "puzzles" (push cart and pull handle to progress).

You can't see the forest because the demo isn't really expansive enough to see the forest, we've only got a couple of old trees to look at, lol.

Then we have at least one of two problems:

1.) The demo has done the final game a serious disservice.

or

2.) The demo represents the final product in which case I would stand by everything I've written.

There's a lot of games that aren't worth $50 that are released at $50. I can look through my steam list of games I own and almost none of them I felt were worth $50.

Sure, I can, too.

But frankly, there's a lot of those same games that I would easily put WELL ahead of what I saw in this demo.

The 2 gun limit is a very noticable flaw in the demo because clearly in the 2nd demo level they've purposely packed in a fuckload of weapons (I highly doubt in the actual game you'll be given a pistol, shotgun, rail gun, ripper chaingun, shrink ray and RPG all in 1 level).

Noted.

There's plenty of other gripes going around too... low FOV (hopefully fixable in the final game), quicktime events (fuck you, I'm not pounding the shit out of my space bar, not even for Duke), fucked up post processing that makes the game look worse than if you'd just left it off, level design is a bit shit (though hopefully the full game is better), meaningless "puzzles" (push cart and pull handle to progress).

I totally agree with all of this, too.

So...what are you and I not agreeing on here? ;)

So...what are you and I not agreeing on here? ;)

Nothing really, we're just having a discussion ;) lol

I'm just hoping things like FOV, level design, post processing, etc are just flaws in the demo, not representative of the final game and not in the final game... but I'm not going to put down money on day 1 to find out, I'll be waiting on some reviews.

Nothing really, we're just having a discussion ;) lol

I'm just hoping things like FOV, level design, post processing, etc are just flaws in the demo, not representative of the final game and not in the final game... but I'm not going to put down money on day 1 to find out, I'll be waiting on some reviews.

We're in the same boat. :)

If a bunch of people come on here and say things like: "The demo can go pound sand. The actual game has this and that and once you get past this area things really open up" etc. etc. and the rest of it then I'll happily turn around and buy. :)

I still haven't been able to find where to download the demo...I got my key in order to download it just can't find this "all access" page.

I still haven't been able to find where to download the demo...I got my key in order to download it just can't find this "all access" page.

You download the demo off of Steam with the key that you get from that early access/all access page of theirs. They even email the key to you.

At least for the PC version.

LOL @ people trying rationalize why someone should or shouldnt buy a game.

people are just going to buy them because they want to and everyone's definition of fun is different.

man you fuckers are batshit crazy sometimes.

AMEN brother! Duke Nukem Forever FTW! I'v played the demo about 9 times now. I love love love love it. I pre ordered it immediately and can guarantee I will be playing this game more than once. Peace!

Back