Duel graphics on Desktop PC in order to retain hardware video decode?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
Consider the situation where you have very weak integrated graphics built into a CPU, that can do HEVC hardware decoding, but has poor 3D performance.
If you bought one of those new AMD RX 6400 graphics cards to increase the 3D performance, would it disable the igpu's HEVC decoding from kicking in?
I'm considering this card for my HTPC, but don't want to loose my HEVC decoding by upgrading the gpu.

Well Windows can let you choose which GPU a software application can use. I have a few AIO machines with Intel integrated and a separate AMD GPU and I can tell the photo editing to use the AMD and stuff like Adobe reader to use the integrated etc. etc.

AFAIK dynamically switchable graphics only work if the video data from the discrete card is piped through the integrated card's display engines. I'm not sure if its possible to decode/encode on the iGPU while running the displays through the dGPU, it was possible eons ago with Lucid's (I think that's what they were called) technology but I'm not sure if it still works. The 6400 is targeted at the laptop market, I think, where you expect to use the iGPUs decoder via switchable graphics (at this point I think all current iGPUs can decode HEVC).

I've never seen graphics cards fight in a case before over decoding. Be sure to post the pics.

Now if you're talking about DUAL graphics cards, I think if you enable the IGP in bios (some motherboards disable it when not in use), you can probably configure the software to use the IGP. Worst case, might have to use a dummy plug to enable it?

Back