Dual Screen Issue with Dell U2711...

The_Dark_Abyss

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
444
Hi, I recently replaced my aging Samsung T240HD with a Dell U2711 27" monitor and am pairing it with an existing LG L246WP 24" monitor (system in in the sig). Whenever I attempt to use extended desktop with the two monitors, DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) would crash and I am no longer able to use Aero (I've tried going into services to restart DWM but it doesn't work). This only happens if I'm running the U2711 at the native resolution (2560x1440); if I lower it to say 1920x1200, then I can run extended desktop with no issue. This error also doesn't occur if I'm running my LG with a rotated desktop (so that the resolution is 1200x1920) or if I'm just using the U2711 by itself. Closing Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) with the task manager also fixes the issue.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? It's been irritating me ever since I got my U2711 a couple of weeks ago.
 
Latest nVidia drivers? Are there any settings in the NCP conflicting with it? Otherwise, I could pull out my old w2408h to test with my U2711 tonight.
 
Latest nVidia drivers? Are there any settings in the NCP conflicting with it? Otherwise, I could pull out my old w2408h to test with my U2711 tonight.

I'm using the latest 280.26 drivers, though the same thing happened when I was still using the 275.50 drivers last week. Not sure what settings I would have in nvidia control panel that would conflict with it (part of the reason why I updated my drivers was to see if it would fix the problem).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top