Dual G5 for video Editing, need advice

someone just sold me their 4g 20 gb for 183 bucks. still looks brand new but just one scratch on the screen.

ice cream should take care of that if i care :)

Xarthan said:
someone just sold me their 4g 20 gb for 183 bucks. still looks brand new but just one scratch on the screen.

ice cream should take care of that if i care :)
you suck. how do you get so lucky?

i can tell you straight up the shuttle pro 2 kicks ass. im using it, an it is pimp. supports nearly every ap you can think of, pluse make your own. it has a GREAT feel in hand, the buttons can be programmed to anything you want, and you can export your profile and import it into another one if you work on a different station ever. it saves a ton of time and does things you cant even imagine with a mouse.

as for the keyboard, i cant say. what i can tell you is that i love having the shuttle separate cause i find i end up placing one hand on the keyboard at a weird angle to reach stuff that i didnt program onto the shuttle, and i use the other hand to mouse/jog dial. i can whip around like no other now that i have that shuttle. my had hardly has to even leave it when im on the time line. i highly recommend it.

i saw a solution by someone for sata raid that added 4 extra slots into the mac . It was mounted oposite the processors.

I'll keep looking for the link.

JethroXP said:
She already has a copy of Final Cut Pro, she got it as part of the "Production Suite" which I guess normally retails for $1299 but she got it for $499 on a student discount. The company she works for mostly does corporate training videos for Hewlett Packard, but they also do the occasional music video, and they also worked with ABC on the this year's Rose Bowl and some other sporting events. They are based out of Corvalis, OR. I think it's about a 20-30 person shop.

I'm just going to add that I think they're company(having already been named) could get in a lot of trouble for using student software for commercial purposes. Even just ethicly, if companies abuse this then student pricing is going to end.... She can keep it at home, the company should be paying full price for the software.

ProphetSix said:
4 SATA drives in a G5 - I think you're looking for this.
holy crap! they have the g5jam+ that allows you to stick 10 sata drives in your g5!!!!!!!
WICKED!!

bpimmerman said:
I'm just going to add that I think they're company(having already been named) could get in a lot of trouble for using student software for commercial purposes. Even just ethicly, if companies abuse this then student pricing is going to end.... She can keep it at home, the company should be paying full price for the software.

from what i picked up, she is doing freelance work/work at home for them. as a freelance or for taking work home, she can use whatever she wants. if shes a student, pay the student price, not the full deal. thats why apple has academic prices to get the up and comers hooked on their sw from the get go.

i dunno, thats what i got out of the whole thing.

If I have any kind of a student ID from anywhere, I get the educational price. Even if I am taking basket weaving.

actually if you have the student version it is supposed to be used for student purposes...if you are making money on it then that is NOT student/school related and technically they are in breach of the Ts&Cs of the EULA

dude, why WOULDNT you max out the internals drives? have you ever seen a video wrorkstation? there is shit strung everywhere. tapes, cables, notes, jog dials, vtrs, monitors, the list goes on and on. my station looks like a bomb went off. and all i need now is more shit laying around. i alredy have two fw drives hanging off the top of my box. i SO wish that i had my internal hdd space maxed out. that would be two less, noisy, clunky boxes sitting at my station.

Because it's not extensible beyond two drives w/o using ridiculous hacks, there are no satisfactory RAID options, Apple charge lots for disks and you lose all portability. All desirable when you're working out of the home and getting paid for it. Plus you're using one of the drives for your OS / apps. Split that I/O up!

Since she's not working there she won't have a connection to quick, protected storage in massive capacities. She also needs to be able to reliably save/archive work.

I'm not reccomending a shitload of external drives as you seem to be implying. Simply one multiple drive enclosure connected via SATA or FW. It keeps the drive out of the heat of the G5s and vice versa, it's clean and simple and a very common solution.

I'd look at a Kano SureVault, MacAlly Arena Aiby, ADS Pyro, FireFly 4800 and the following generics. Buy the number of bays you need and throw in the largest drives you can.

http://www.macpower.com/productdetails1.cfm?sku=RAID-5-3BAY&cats=&catid=314,312

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=154878&_LOC=US

http://www.directron.com/a1000.html

If you have the budget I'd do external SATA. It's the future and leaves the FW free for convertors.

* If you need a retail copy of FCP. I've got one I'm about to throw on eBay.

addragyn said:
Because it's not extensible beyond two drives w/o using ridiculous hacks, there are no satisfactory RAID options, Apple charge lots for disks and you lose all portability. All desirable when you're working out of the home and getting paid for it. Plus you're using one of the drives for your OS / apps. Split that I/O up!
first of all, no one says you have to get your internal drives from apple. maxtor or any other company producing SATA drives wll be more than happy to provide them to her. and what make you think that you MUST have raid in there anyway? sheesh if they are looking to drop a fortune on this, im sure they could just pick up an Xraid. really though, dropping in 2x 250 gig SATA drives in the machine will give her a good place to start. if she wants to get more involved, then later im sure she would check out any type of raid storage she needed. the only thing the externals have up on the internals is portability, but depending on her setup, she may not need it.

preaching to the chior pal, but honestly, our Xraid has given us WAY more problems than any internal drive we ever used. say what you will, but if you are gonna take work home, first you are gonna have a copy of it at work, and secondly, you are gonna update your project at work when you get back the next day....at least if you are responsible. its not like you are gonna do a mass amount of work, then KABANG, your hdd just goes out and youre left thinking "damn i wish i woulda spent 2 grand on a 60 pound portable raid so this shit wouldnt happen." no, youll be thinking "well, glad that it was just my internal 250 rather than that portable raid i would always be banging around in the car"

i dunno. whatever.

When buying a system like that, especially for such a dynamic field as video editing, you'll have to consider the next year or two into the future as well.

Tiger (10.4) is including serious realtime video effects that take advantage of the video card's horsepower (CoreVideo and CoreImage), and it's very likely the next version of FinalCut Pro will as well. If the company jumps to HD, the better vid card to take advantage of the realtime video effects and better handling of HD content will be MIGHTY nice.
I would not skimp on the vid card.

You might look at an XServe Raid for extra storage as well. My buddy who does a lot of video editing for weddings and stuff got one and loves it. He archives all of his clients stuff to it and it works very fast. Plus with HD content you'll need a raid setup like that.
Just stuff to consider.

I don't know if the G5 tower supports hot-swap SATA bays, but if it does I would suggest configuring the workstation that way. Being able to quickly switch A/V drives really helps my video editing work with Avid-- there is no faster way to move between projects/clients!

thought i'd just bump this old thread for the heck of it, cauz i was just hired today with Take Two :D

Back