dual cpu server questions

I am thinking of a nas unit for the house but I will need to bump up the ram it only has 4 gigs right now and freenas requires 8 or more.

I have been waiting because I am going back to pick up some more servers Saturday and don't know the specs for the new ones yet.

I love multiple socket servers. I have 4, quad socket systems in my house running right now. They all run BOINC projects though.

Do you know what you want to run in FreeNAS because 8GB of RAM is the minimum recommendation but 16GB would afford you more in terms of how FreeNAS and ZFS will perform.

A few jails or a VM or two would work just fine on 8GB but if you plan to build it out and run an entire suite of applications the more RAM the merrier.

Do you know what you want to run in FreeNAS because 8GB of RAM is the minimum recommendation but 16GB would afford you more in terms of how FreeNAS and ZFS will perform.

A few jails or a VM or two would work just fine on 8GB but if you plan to build it out and run an entire suite of applications the more RAM the merrier.

Yeah hope to have freemas running I now have 16 gigs installed but I’m unsure how it will do if adding more ram the server currently has 2 -8 gig sticks installed and only one cpu I’m wanting to upgrade to 2 -6 core cpus right now it has a 2.1 ghz 6 core I think something around 3 ghz 6 cores would do best and around 32 gigs ram.

I haven’t really messed with it other than setting up windows server for testing purposes.

I ended up snagging a T610 server for cheap and I sold my other servers newest chipset so far. And made some $$$$$

Back