Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide

kinson said:
sigh... how do I get to that directory in cmd ?

go to Start -> Run...
type cmd (press enter and it will bring up the dos prompt)
cd\ (enter at the end of every line ;) )
cd program files
cd lineage ii
cd system
(should say c:\program files\lineage ii\system)

Then type imagecfg.exe -a 0x1 l2.exe

But before you do that, copy your l2.exe file to your desktop or something like that in case it doesn't work.

yeah... been a long time since I've played with cmd :) lemme test this stuff out real quick

kinson said:
ok I was doing it right... but it says unable to map and load l2.exe

Hm...you know let me play around with it and I'll post back here tomorrow or something.

:) we're like jumping posts lol... you post one while I'm posting one makes things geeked up... but I think i got it... it says now "process affinity mask: 00000001"

so hopefully this will fix this problem... and I guess for anyone else that might have been too scurred to ask can get help from this lol, or am I the only noob in here :)...

but if I run a shortcut from the desktop will Ihave to do anything for it... its a shortcut so I dont see why but doesnt hurt to ask :)

kinson said:
:) we're like jumping posts lol... you post one while I'm posting one makes things geeked up... but I think i got it... it says now "process affinity mask: 00000001"

so hopefully this will fix this problem... and I guess for anyone else that might have been too scurred to ask can get help from this lol, or am I the only noob in here :)...

but if I run a shortcut from the desktop will Ihave to do anything for it... its a shortcut so I dont see why but doesnt hurt to ask :)

change your shortcut back to normal. I was misreading how to use the program. You're exe is now patched to run only on one core.

I never really changed anything with the shortcut I was still reading other things :) so we caught we kinda caught each other at the right moment I guess...

but one question... I have this set, lineage 2 is working aight now, when I minimize it doesnt lock up and give a negative delta error... but I looked at my cpu usage... didnt you suggest to run the games on the second core ??

kinson said:
I never really changed anything with the shortcut I was still reading other things :) so we caught we kinda caught each other at the right moment I guess...

but one question... I have this set, lineage 2 is working aight now, when I minimize it doesnt lock up and give a negative delta error... but I looked at my cpu usage... didnt you suggest to run the games on the second core ??

No, the first core. I've found that when you run on the 2nd core, you still have problems every once in a while since programs are designed to run off the first core naturally.

hrmm... ok so all this stuff I just did will still allow programs to start on the core using the least programs right ?? cause heh... my first core is stuck at 100% at the present :mad: and second is floating around 40... <l2 running in the background>

kinson said:
hrmm... ok so all this stuff I just did will still allow programs to start on the core using the least programs right ?? cause heh... my first core is stuck at 100% at the present :mad: and second is floating around 40... <l2 running in the background>

Yeah, the only thing that patch changes is the core on which l2.exe is allowed to run (only on core 1 ;) ).

ketamine said:
Setting affinity to CPU 0 (NOT 1) fixed my stuttering in NFS Most Wanted.

Well, yes, Core 1=CPU 0...that's what I meant, but good clarification :). The way that imageCFG works though 0x1 is CPU 0 and 0x2 is CPU 1

I knew what he meant :)...

just weird seeing this thing hit 100% cpu usage... kinda scurrey :)

kinson said:
I knew what he meant :)...

just weird seeing this thing hit 100% cpu usage... kinda scurrey :)

Some of it is the Alt-tab while gaming. Program runs "hot" ;). So it works now?

yes it seems to be working now :) thank you for all your help, between those 3 methods I'll be somewhat set on the game side of the specturm :)

I just recently used this guide. I did steps 1, 2, and 4. It fixed all my problems.

I was running HL2 perfectly fine without any of the fixes though. :confused:

Doing these steps fixed NFS:MW and Serious Sam 2

edit: This seriously needs to be stickied.

I feel left out. I haven't had any of these problems that require me to set processor affinity. Except with Battlefront II. I had to because it crashed all the time. But the "Benny Hill" effect isn't something I've ever experienced.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I feel left out. I haven't had any of these problems that require me to set processor affinity. Except with Battlefront II. I had to because it crashed all the time. But the "Benny Hill" effect isn't something I've ever experienced.

Did you install the hotfix? I haven't had any problems with games I play after

1. Fresh reformat/install
2. Install hotfix immediately

Granted I'm not a huge gamer, but the games I play don't experience problems, although I did have to so some fixing with some games before fresh format.

Anyone else having problems with Lineage 2? I'm talking to another guy in PM's that the ImageCFG fix just discussed doesn't work for :mad: .

lee63 said:
I heard you dont need the MS hotfix if your running XP 64 is this true ?
:confused:

yes, that is correct AFAIK...in the documentation of the hotfix, it says...

Microsoft.com said:
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, when used with:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

• Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

Lineage 2 is the new problem...if you have fixes for this game, post here.

I did all of the things, I did the drivers hotfix and then set the affinity like you said... it works perfect for me now...

but its not just lineage 2... its any game based on the unreal engine...

what did the guy say l2 is doing to him... cause the only thing it ever did to me was give me a negative delta time error resulting in a game crash...

I have however seen a decrease in performance... but I'm sure theres something I need to do to fix it :)

kirbyrj said:
Well, yes, Core 1=CPU 0...that's what I meant, but good clarification :). The way that imageCFG works though 0x1 is CPU 0 and 0x2 is CPU 1

Like you said, I just wanted to clarify. A lot of people set the affinity manually in the Task Manager. I've read of people often checking "CPU 1" rather than "CPU 0" and continuing to have problems and they have no idea why.

kinson said:
I did all of the things, I did the drivers hotfix and then set the affinity like you said... it works perfect for me now...

but its not just lineage 2... its any game based on the unreal engine...

what did the guy say l2 is doing to him... cause the only thing it ever did to me was give me a negative delta time error resulting in a game crash...

I have however seen a decrease in performance... but I'm sure theres something I need to do to fix it :)

The imageCFG patch works for him, but when he tries to run the program, it resets his computer instead of giving him the negative delta error message.

ketamine said:
Like you said, I just wanted to clarify. A lot of people set the affinity manually in the Task Manager. I've read of people often checking "CPU 1" rather than "CPU 0" and continuing to have problems and they have no idea why.

Yeah, I'll see about adjusting the OP to note this...when I get some time ;).

I'm posting this for another guy who is running a dual core cpu. His question is do you think this is CPU or GPU related?

1-screen023.jpg

1-screen009.jpg

That looks like a graphics driver issue. What driver is he using?

These are the specs and no it has not been o/clocked at all never.

AMD Athalon 64x2 Dual 4400+ @ 2.21ghz
2.00Gb TwinX2048-3200
GeForce 6600GT PCIe 256MB Ram
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MOBO
120gb H/Drive SATA
Logitech Wireless with MX Laser Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback Joystick
Sennheiser PC160 Headphones
Phillips 21" CRT Flat screen

The other link shows some more screen shots. Also one more to show that it happens on most maps ?

Thanks for any help

This is what he is runnin.. I'll find out the driver version...

for the lineage 2... you say the imagecfg works for him but he's still having troubles, or the trouble he was having is that the game just shut his computer down... <I also had that happen to me a few times, but I believe it was still because of the ndt, just caused my computer to freak and die...>

as for bf:2 it looks like to me thats video errors... what all has the guy done to try and solve it ?

Just started working with him on it.. Going to try and get him on TS when I get home...

I just thought Id post my opinions on this matter. I recently bought an X2 3800, and was fearing all of the problems mentioned in this thread. I found that I had no issues with any games(BF2, SWBF 1 & 2, HL2, CS:S, DOD:S, DOD, CS, UT99, UT2k4,Painkiller, Doom3,NFS:MW, to name a few). Even w/o the hotfix or even the AMD driver. I installed the hotfix and AMD driver anyways, and still have no issues. Ive never had to set the affinity, and it appears in task manager as if many games are using both cores. That seems a little odd, but oh well.

Just wanted to post this so as not to scare away people from dual core.....

kinson said:
for the lineage 2... you say the imagecfg works for him but he's still having troubles, or the trouble he was having is that the game just shut his computer down... <I also had that happen to me a few times, but I believe it was still because of the ndt, just caused my computer to freak and die...>

as for bf:2 it looks like to me thats video errors... what all has the guy done to try and solve it ?

His computer just keeps shutting down on him when he tries it. I think he's going to reformat/reinstall his whole computer and see what happens then. It seems that there are a lot less problems with games if you reformat and reinstall.

Standpoint said:
I just thought Id post my opinions on this matter. I recently bought an X2 3800, and was fearing all of the problems mentioned in this thread. I found that I had no issues with any games(BF2, SWBF 1 & 2, HL2, CS:S, DOD:S, DOD, CS, UT99, UT2k4,Painkiller, Doom3,NFS:MW, to name a few). Even w/o the hotfix or even the AMD driver. I installed the hotfix and AMD driver anyways, and still have no issues. Ive never had to set the affinity, and it appears in task manager as if many games are using both cores. That seems a little odd, but oh well.

Just wanted to post this so as not to scare away people from dual core.....

Did you do a fresh format/reinstall? Just wondering if people aren't having these problems after doing the whole thing fresh vs. repair install, etc.

kirbyrj said:
Did you do a fresh format/reinstall? Just wondering if people aren't having these problems after doing the whole thing fresh vs. repair install, etc.
FYI after I did a fresh format/install the NeedForSpeed MW game still had issues without applying the fixes (or setting affinity)

kirbyrj said:

I did a fresh install. I would recommend always doing a fresh install, especially when replacing hardware. Yea it can be a bit of a pain, but it eliminates so many possible problems.

kirbyrj said:
His computer just keeps shutting down on him when he tries it. I think he's going to reformat/reinstall his whole computer and see what happens then. It seems that there are a lot less problems with games if you reformat and reinstall.

I think I know what this is. There is a problem with configurations like his, and mine (see sig.) Riptide_NVN and I have been discussing it here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=975231 and here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=966318&page=6

If he hasn't set Windows to show blue-screens instead of resetting, that's why it shuts down instead of blue-screening. You can right click on My Computer, Advanced tab, select Settings under Startup and Recovery, and uncheck Automatically Restart.

If you have him do this, he should start seeing a blue-screen entailing problems with some NV4 drivers.

This tends to happen on a lot of NF4 (A8N SLI in particular) board when using the 81.XX Nvidia drivers. He can either go back to 78.XX (and lose some dual core optimizations,) or there's a trick that I did to get it to work with the 81.XX drivers. (doesn't seem to work for everyone though)

Tell him to go into the BIOS, find the option for "PEG Link" and change it to "Normal" It is probably set to "Auto" by default. When I switched from Auto to Normal, my blue-screens/restarts went away completely. I haven't yet tried the latest drivers. (I'm still using the 81.85s, so it's possible that the newer ones fix this.) A couple of emails have been sent to Nvidia about this, so we'll see what happens.

Trying to fix WCIII. It works sometimes, then other times it does not. It will slow down as if I had an fps of 1 or something. I'm using the most up-to-date drivers for my 7800GT and this only happens once in a while. Usually a restart fixes it for a few hours then it will happen again. Do you think it's CPU, GPU, or maybe RAM related?

I'm assuming you used the dual core fix? That issue sounds like the cores coming out of sync. I could be wrong, though.

fiewtoid said:
Trying to fix WCIII. It works sometimes, then other times it does not. It will slow down as if I had an fps of 1 or something. I'm using the most up-to-date drivers for my 7800GT and this only happens once in a while. Usually a restart fixes it for a few hours then it will happen again. Do you think it's CPU, GPU, or maybe RAM related?

Warcraft 3 works fine for me if you use one of the affinity programs. I haven't tried it in a while to know if it was fixed with the hotfix.

Back