• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DSLR Camera Experts / Users please come in!

Jedi

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
1,634
Hi im in the market for a new DSLR and i want some opinions on what to get. Ive been eyeballing the NIkon D200 and the Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I just sold a Canon 10D a few months ago and I just didnt realize how much I used it and miss it. So Help me make the best decision and spend some cash! :D

I do semi professional photography as it is ..shooting cars, real estate and other misc stuff.
You can pick up a Popular Hotrod Magazine and turn to page 20, 21 and you will see my photographic handy work.

Heres an online version of the article.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0704phr_affordable_street_machines/pontiac_trans_am.html

This image is one of a sequence shot when my bud chris was driving by... it looks like hes standing still :)
0704phr_01_z+affordable_cars+pontiac_trans_am.jpg


Even my truck got in the shot ;)
0704phr_04_z+affordable_cars+pontiac_trans_am.jpg
 
What is your budget? I'm totally partial to Canons, and own a 20D. I tried a Nikon D50 and Rebel before I bought the 20D. I find it to be the perfect pro-sumer DSLR that gives you a ton of performance for the money. I've seen some other high-end Nikons though and I think they are very nice.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference, how it feels in your hand, and whether you like the controls. I find the 20D's "ipod" control wheel totally intuitive and useful, but others don't like it from what I've heard.
 
What is your budget? I'm totally partial to Canons, and own a 20D. I tried a Nikon D50 and Rebel before I bought the 20D. I find it to be the perfect pro-sumer DSLR that gives you a ton of performance for the money. I've seen some other high-end Nikons though and I think they are very nice.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference, how it feels in your hand, and whether you like the controls. I find the 20D's "ipod" control wheel totally intuitive and useful, but others don't like it from what I've heard.


Yeah the 20D was the upgraded model from my 10D. Its no different than the 30D thats out now...its a great camera and I know what to expect I was just wondering how the XTi rebel and the D200 Nikon stack up or blow it out of the water. I want the best bang for the buck semi pro DSLR. My budget isnt unlimited but its pretty open for this camera and a nice lense. Thats why i was thinking the D200 they offer some really nice things like the Wireless feature and remote flash controls im sure there are a ton more but those are just a few that i know about.

Oh and Im not sure what " Note325" is saying but if you wanted higher quality pics of these. Im uploading the originals along with some of another car from that shoot for my buddy. they will be at this link
http://www.jeffreycollier.com/ChrisPHR

Heres a link to the original first pic above
http://www.jeffreycollier.com/ChrisPHR/slides/IMG_6811.html
and heres the 2nd one
http://www.jeffreycollier.com/ChrisPHR/slides/IMG_6753.html
I believe they published my images unedited or retouched :D

Oh and these are linked to the High Res images but they are all uploading at about 2mb each so 500 or so mb.
 
IIRC the only difference between the Rebels and the X0D's is the rapid shooting buffer, some of the finer image controls, and the button/lcd layout. If you shoot in auto all the time, I doubt you'll see a difference.

<--- Original Digital Rebel owner
 
IIRC the only difference between the Rebels and the X0D's is the rapid shooting buffer, some of the finer image controls, and the button/lcd layout. If you shoot in auto all the time, I doubt you'll see a difference.

<--- Original Digital Rebel owner

yeah i dont really shoot in auto mode that much

Im curious how the optical quality is between Nikon and Canon Ive always been a canon fan myself but im swaying towards Nikon.
 
The XTi is not even in the same leaugue as the Nikon D200. One is a very small entry level with a cheap plastic body, and the other is at the higher end consumer range with a full metal weather proof body. Nikon and Canon are both great in IQ at this point, what it really comes down to is trying them for yourself in a store, and checking out the lens selection. I can say that Nikon has some amazing prime and wide angle lenses that would better suit taking pictures of cars, while Canon is great for the extremely long telephoto in which they have Nikon beat by far.

I preferred the Nikon D50 body when I was purchasing, and I can say the D80 is also a great choice. It has D200 image quality in a smaller lighter body. Try handing and using them and you will see!
 
In terms of build quality and feel, I felt the D200 was better than the 30D and miles ahead of the XTi. Really only the 5D had a similar heft and feeling of quality as the D200. After playing around with them all, I realized that I found the Nikon control scheme much more usable (for me) than the Canon scheme. Of course I use mostly M and sometimes A mode, so it might be different for someone with a different style. I wanted to like the Canons more, since they have more and cheaper good lenses, and better high ISO output, but I just fell in love with that Nikon.
 
In terms of build quality and feel, I felt the D200 was better than the 30D and miles ahead of the XTi. Really only the 5D had a similar heft and feeling of quality as the D200. After playing around with them all, I realized that I found the Nikon control scheme much more usable (for me) than the Canon scheme. Of course I use mostly M and sometimes A mode, so it might be different for someone with a different style. I wanted to like the Canons more, since they have more and cheaper good lenses, and better high ISO output, but I just fell in love with that Nikon.


yeah see thats exactly my issue... the canons have great quality and lenses galore for cheap but i dunno from what im reading the nikon just offers more professional quality and upgrade options I just was wondering how they compared between each other so thanks for that info!

I always felt that your paying more for the name Nikon so who knows... i gota few more days and to make a decision so hopefully some more people will post up their feelings on this.
 
I have a Canon 5D and a 20D as a backup/sports shooter.
Regarding the issue of optics, it's not the camera, it's the lens. Or more like, the lens system. On that point, Canon has the widest and most complete range of lenses. However, Nikon is no slouch either and one cannot say that all Canon lenses are superior to all Nikons, or vice versa. Nikon has some lenses that are optically superior to Canon, and vice versa.
As far as the sensor quality, the two are very close in terms of image quality. Canon pulls ahead significantly as the ISO is increased and all of the Canon DSLR's are superior at 800 ISO and above.
Most people would not be able to tell the difference between two images of the same subject taken with competing Nikon or Canon models. (at less than 800 ISO)
It does come down to personal preference and what you do with your camera. If you've already invested in lenses, then it makes sense to stay within the brand.
Perhaps we could narrow things down a bit for you if you told us what you'll be shooting, and which focal lengths you need.
 
What's your budget? If getting the XTi would let you spend more on lenses, I'd go that way. The D200 is a much better body, but the lenses will make more of a difference in image quality.

If you already have more than a few hundred bucks invested in Nikon or Canon lenses, stick with the system you're using.

If you're starting from scratch again, you also might want to check out a 20D or 30D, it'll be nicer than the XTi in terms of user interface and closer to your 10D in terms of feel. They're still not as nice as the D200, but they're great cameras.
 
I have an original rebel (300D) and my uncle uses the D200. I also have played with the D70 and Rebel XT.

Personally I like the feel of my 300D the best as it has a bigger grip (although I wish it was a bit heavier like the metal pro cameras), the XT (same as XTI) has a smaller grip that can be hard if you have bigger hands (me :p ). The D200 is a really nice camera, but I am a Canon guy and I like Canon's button and software layout/control better. I also get really screwed up by the reversed (for me at least) direction for lenses screwing on (but that is something you easily get used to with use).

Most photographers agree the Canon L glass is the best in the world. That being said it is very pricey and Nikon also has some great lenses. Really Canon and Nikon are very similar in quality/performance. You have to go on a model by model basis to compare and most of the time you will be able to match anything from one to something of the others.

The thing I would recommend most is going and holding both in your hands at a store if you haven't already. For me a camera's feel is a big deal as well and that is totally personal preference.

If you want the better between the D200 and XTI though, the D200 is better as it is in a different league. You will havel more manual "pro" features on the D200. Also it is $1400 Body Only vs. XTI $700 Body Only!
 
As the others have mentioned, the D200 and Rebel are two different classes of body. If you use full auto or scene modes the D200 is not for you - look more towards D80
 
You need to hold both cameras to see which one feels better in your hand.
I can't stand the XT since it is so small and I don't like the buttons on the back, I prefer the wheel on the back..
I own a D60 and 10D with the battery grip, and I use a 5D and 20D when I shoot events with a colleague of mine.


Shot from my trusty D60 (works awesome when there is light. :) )
drag01.jpg
 
Back
Top