DSL constantly resetting. Help?!

renji1337

Limp Gawd
Alright so I have a TDS Telecom 15mbps line. Currently my modem is randomly resetting and then when it does this usually the speeds change, it most commonly happens later at night from 6pm onwards where sometimes it will reset immediately every time it recconects.

It will reset and then sync sometimes to speeds like 2-5mbps, but if i manually reset sometimes itll sync back to 16383/895kbps (this is what the line speed normally is)

So far what we have tried is

3 different modems
having a TDS tech running a direct phone line from our box outside
TDS resetting there equipment
TDS swapping some of there equipment

I see alot of of crc/fec errors and right before my modem ever disconnects my snr will drop to 0-2db.

Normally my speed is 16383/895kbps with 29.5db attenuation and 12-13db snr.

I have attached a log if anyone would like to see what ive dealt with today

http://gyazo.com/3c12795f375847902989a6b83b8aa274

When we first upgraded to the 15mbps speed last month, this didn't happen for the first couple days, but then slowly after that every day it has gotten worse. as you can see sometimes I can get 3 hours out of it, maybe more, but later in the day im lucky if i get 10-20minutes. after midnight i'm usually stable for up to 14 hours, then this process repeats..

Last edited:
Looks like there is a problem with the cable pair from the DSLAM to the demark on the house. Have they checked that out? Do you have phone service? Is there any static on your phone line? Are your phones filtered? I assume they are if they ran a station wire from your demark to the modem.

I have phone service and there isn't any static when he checked it, we have a really old house phone that has static because it's so old though (this phone is those corded ones from like 20 years ago). I have it unplugged currently,my dad's heart monitor is on the line and has a filter on it. We have these issues with everything unplugged though as well. I don't understand why it gets so much worse at 5pm onwards. Idk if they checked what you mentioned though

There may be some sort of electronic interference with the DSL signal. Like an electric motor or fan or something of the sort. My DSL modem would lose sync anytime my wife used the treadmill. I had to get a fancy surge protector to plug the treadmill into to fix it. Maybe power is being introduced into the line from somewhere during that time of day.

Hmm, idk where though. Nothing that's on really changes, I turned all the lights and tv off but no dice

I am a DSL tech with att.

Just because you cant hear it doesn't mean you don't have line interference.

Unplug all your POTS phones and test.

Have they changed the card at the DSLAM?

Down to the smallest and most insignificant thing what electronics are with in feet of the modem?

What is a pots phone. There is a tv, home theater system receiver and printer and another router, and the corded phone within 2 to 5 ft of the modem, the front 3 speakers are 6 to 7 ft away, subwoofer 10ft away

No clue on dslam they said they reset equipment and when that didn't work they swapped "equipment" out. I told him at 5 that didn't work either and he said hed be back out on monday

POTs is analog phone.

oh, i've had all phones in the house unplugged for 2 days now.

I went to movies and my line reset 17 times since then. It synced to speeds as low as 1.5mbps and it still reset, it's syncing to 13-15mbps right now but still resetting every 10min or so. The SNR is fluctuating wildly for both download and upload

I tried my internet with it being the only thing on the line, i even took my dads heart monitor off. I moved it another feet away from those electronics and no dice :/

my attenuation also changes between 29 and 31.5 db aswell. power always shows 0 unless during restart where it shows 20dbm for a second

it seems like whatever is happening gets SUPER worse at night, i don't see my snr fluctuate like this during the day

Last edited:
I've seen things you would not believe.... like the guy who's service went out whenever the neighbor watered his lawn. (really and truly - cracked conduit under the neighbor's lawn)

The TV, has a fluorescent light (unless it is an LED type or CRT) which can cause interference with the CPE (customer premise equipment).

Your data cable (cpe to wall jack) does it have a filter on it? Is it coiled, tied, go over or near any power cords? When was the building built?

Any dimmer switches in the room? Please note ALL fluorescent and halogen lights in the room. Do you have a microcell? Pls note anything you can think of within 10' that could possibly create EMI (electromagnetic interference). Please note anything on the same circuit breaker that could cause noise on the power line, such as a wall air conditioner, small (or full sized) fridge, etc.

Your fathers heart monitor is, of course HIGHLY important but please at least consider the possibility it is adding intermittent noise to the line, does it have an alternative method to send in data that can be used in the short term? Do you have a monitored alarm system? Does it use the phone lines? Are you for sure (if you do have one) that it is filtered?

Have you talked to your provider about putting in an external filter?

Depending on the local infrastructure your lines may simply not be able to handle the current speed and you may need to consider lowering the speed to remove errors.

Is your NID (network interface device - demark - box on the outside of the house) accessible? If so have you tried plugging the CPE direct to the NID to eliminate local wiring from being the cause?

Start keeping a log and look for patterns, DONT second guess anything, just write down everything (see neighbor's lawn example above - anything could be the right clue).

I'm gonna try and go back to sleep now - so pardon my middle of the night typing and thinking.

Oh and POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service.

If you havnt already taking a look at the Wiki articles on DSL and Filters might help too.

-edit typos and likely not the only one

I've seen things you would not believe.... like the guy who's service went out whenever the neighbor watered his lawn. (really and truly - cracked conduit under the neighbor's lawn)

The TV, has a fluorescent light (unless it is an LED type or CRT) which can cause interference with the CPE (customer premise equipment).

Your data cable (cpe to wall jack) does it have a filter on it? Is it coiled, tied, go over or near any power cords? When was the building built?

Any dimmer switches in the room? Please note ALL fluorescent and halogen lights in the room. Do you have a microcell? Pls note anything you can think of within 10' that could possibly create EMI (electromagnetic interference). Please note anything on the same circuit breaker that could cause noise on the power line, such as a wall air conditioner, small (or full sized) fridge, etc.

Your fathers heart monitor is, of course HIGHLY important but please at least consider the possibility it is adding intermittent noise to the line, does it have an alternative method to send in data that can be used in the short term? Do you have a monitored alarm system? Does it use the phone lines? Are you for sure (if you do have one) that it is filtered?

Depending on the local infrastructure your lines may simply not be able to handle the current speed and you may need to consider lowering the speed to remove errors.

Is your NID (network interface device - demark - box on the outside of the house) accessible? If so have you tried plugging the CPE direct to the NID to eliminate local wiring from being the cause?

Start keeping a log and look for patterns, DONT second guess anything, just write down everything (see neighbor's lawn example above - anything could be the right clue).

I'm gonna try and go back to sleep now - so pardon my middle of the night typing and thinking.

If you havnt already taking a look at the Wiki articles on DSL and Filters might help too.

I've tried with everything unhooked from the line and this issue still occurs, so I don't think its anything plugged into the line. I've attached some pictures of our run. Also I don't know if it would be a speed issue as we the modem even resyncs when its at 2mbs(sometimes it syncs THAT low, it doesn't have many errors when its this low though until the SNR drops, and wont sync any higher when these issues are happening). For the first week this really didn't happen. Although when we had 3mb dsl this happened sometimes, just not so bad, and when we upgraded it dissapeared for a week then came with a roar.

Here is a picture of our run from where it starts, and ends, and where I currently have the modem. I've tried moving it everywhere with no good results

this run was just made a couple days ago by our tech guy

http://gyazo.com/1c514bb52c2c1e6297ce470063f9f4b7
http://gyazo.com/52d613e2aa0b282053aecb5e369ac5ec
http://gyazo.com/41123355af684867dcd2fcdffc85abe7
http://gyazo.com/34037633ec2cd3d64c5231b8b30f3215
http://gyazo.com/56427c98d6fed0fc833f6dbe0d19f693
https://gyazo.com/e4223c64186352e9441371b351b09570
http://gyazo.com/fe7067b18b4163fbd0ea989afbd74629
http://gyazo.com/d15f806e9a4e5c046ac1c9093e67930a

Last edited:
I've tried with everything unhooked from the line and this issue still occurs, so I don't think its anything plugged into the line. I've attached some pictures of our run. Also I don't know if it would be a speed issue as we the modem even resyncs when its at 2mbs(sometimes it syncs THAT low, it doesn't have many errors when its this low though until the SNR drops, and wont sync any higher when these issues are happening). For the first week this really didn't happen. Although when we had 3mb dsl this happened sometimes, just not so bad, and when we upgraded it dissapeared for a week then came with a roar.

Here is a picture of our run from where it starts, and ends, and where I currently have the modem. I've tried moving it everywhere with no good results

this run was just made a couple days ago by our tech guy

http://gyazo.com/1c514bb52c2c1e6297ce470063f9f4b7
http://gyazo.com/52d613e2aa0b282053aecb5e369ac5ec
http://gyazo.com/41123355af684867dcd2fcdffc85abe7
http://gyazo.com/34037633ec2cd3d64c5231b8b30f3215
http://gyazo.com/56427c98d6fed0fc833f6dbe0d19f693
https://gyazo.com/e4223c64186352e9441371b351b09570
http://gyazo.com/d15f806e9a4e5c046ac1c9093e67930a

The second to last picture is an uber major super bad.

Remove ALL splitters from the line.

Use only a single filter per jack and do not nest them. If you need more jacks then have an external filter installed professionally and have real jacks appropriately installed.

Shoot, my parents DSL was unreliable as snot for a while. Techs crawled up the telephone pole and the house and looked at the lines and drop....squirrels had chewed through them.

The second to last picture is an uber major super bad.

Remove ALL splitters from the line.

Use only a single filter per jack and do not nest them. If you need more jacks then have an external filter installed professionally and have real jacks appropriately installed.

i've been running with all those splitters unhooked so right now its just the two boxes and the issue still exists :/

the only reason they were like that is we had one plugged into the tv, house phone, and house phone so we needed 3, but now on the second box only one line is plugged into it and thats the house phone because i found out the others dont need them plugged in. right now everything is still
unplugged though.

what should I do next?

Last edited:
what should I do next?

That wiring is horrible. I've dealt with shit like this before (my parents house). The box on the side of the house will have a customer accessible RJ11 jack, plug directly into that and run a line direct to the modem and see how it works.

For temporary testing, you can just do it with a six foot cable and drop an extension cable out the window. This will let you see if this helps resolve your issues (but given your previous description, I doubt this is your only issue). If it resolves the issue, run a new line directly to the modem.

That wiring is horrible. I've dealt with shit like this before (my parents house). The box on the side of the house will have a customer accessible RJ11 jack, plug directly into that and run a line direct to the modem and see how it works.

For temporary testing, you can just do it with a six foot cable and drop an extension cable out the window. This will let you see if this helps resolve your issues (but given your previous description, I doubt this is your only issue). If it resolves the issue, run a new line directly to the modem.

Yup!

Remember ethernet can go 100 meters. Your CPE needs to be very close to the jack, you can stick a router anywhere with a long enough ethernet cable.

I dont see anything on the box i can plug into unless I open the box. We just got the box upgraded and it used to have a lock(the old box did) but theres no lock now. Idk if i'm allowed to open it o_o

Yup!

Remember ethernet can go 100 meters. Your CPE needs to be very close to the jack, you can stick a router anywhere with a long enough ethernet cable.

The cable running from the box outside is CAT5, its not a flat phone cable

This for sure. Run a new cable from the customer access side of the telco box directly to the DSL modem. If it still has an issue, contact the phone company and explain to them it still fails with a direct connection. It sounds like they already did this though? So it should be on them to fix.

Then clean up your rat nest wiring...

Alright so I opened it up and saw this. I unplugged both the black phone cords, and plugged in a flat type phone cable thats about 10ft long since i didn't have any cat5 with phone ends. It didn't get a connection on the bottom one but it did on the top one. I ran a 50ft ethernet cord after, there both temp exposed to the elements. My attenuation is the same but my SNR seems worse, it usually goes to 12 or 13 and now its going to 10-12. I'll see if any disconnects/errors occur.

3VRtjZFh.jpg

Why are there two sets of wiring connected to the left taps in the box? Disconnect the wiring not going to the modem as well.

Also the left green connection looks like it could be sitting on the cable wiring and not the copper.

Why are there two sets of wiring connected to the left taps in the box? Disconnect the wiring not going to the modem as well.

both the black ones are unplugged, just the modem is plugged in currently. the left side of the box has something plugged into it but it says TDS ONLY on that side. my snr right now is sitting at 9-10. usually sits at 12-13 until it drops, I am using a plain phone cord thats really old now though.

Having extra unplugged wiring can still cause an issue if that wiring is picking up feedback or some other electric gremlins

Having extra unplugged wiring can still cause an issue if that wiring is picking up feedback or some other electric gremlins

I don't know if I want to take that off though since thats what the TDS Tech did and he's coming back out on monday o_o, If i take off what he did I won't be able to put it back on. I have limited understanding of wiring. I'm a CIS major thats almost done with associates but i've never touched wiring before, other than inside a computer.

right now if i want to put it back to the way the tds tech had it I just unplug my cord and plug those 2 black ones back in. So far I haven't had a discconect but my snr is fluctuating between 8-11db. Prime time for disconnects is coming soon.

STILL NO ERRORS OR DISCONNECTS YAY! but there's two other outlets in the house that need a phone line. one for the heart monitor, one for the house phone and answering machine. is there a way to get these results and get those phone lines up and running?

Last edited:
There needs to be a filter in the protector on the side of the house. And a direct line ran to the modem. The filter will filter out the DSL signal from the rest of the wiring in the house. With the direct line to the modem being unfiltered. Your phone company should have done this when they ran the line to the modem. This usually solves 99% of DSL problems I run into.

There needs to be a filter in the protector on the side of the house. And a direct line ran to the modem. The filter will filter out the DSL signal from the rest of the wiring in the house. With the direct line to the modem being unfiltered. Your phone company should have done this when they ran the line to the modem. This usually solves 99% of DSL problems I run into.

I put the wiring back the way it was when the tds guy had it to see if the line instabilities come back. So far nothing yet.

I'm guessing you have VDSL, given the two circuits in the NID and not ADSL2+?

TDS tech should have a test meter, like a brown meter (resistance tests) or a Sidekick T&N which can do Stress, Resistance, and Leakage testing of the inside wire. That would be the best troubleshooting method to verify if the IW is good or bad. Stress on a good IW (with no phones/devices/cpe plugged in) should be near 0, infinite leakage and minimal resistance. Same goes for both of the street pairs. The TDS tech would have a CO tech temporarily lift the coil at the CO and then run his Sidekick in Stress (verify good ground at NID), Leakage, and Kick tests to verify each circuit is good. If there are any issues like high stress or leakage, he'd either identify the issue (bad bridge module or protector, bad aerial/underground drop wire from NID to pole, etc) and fix (commonly a bridge tap is the issue and would be cut out) or find a new unused pair to swap and call in a cable pair change to the CO tech.

Next step would be installing a whole house POTS filter. Again TDS should install that given the amount of jacks you have. A dedicated non-filtered home run from the jack where the DSL modem is plugged into, all the way back to the POTS filter, then crosswired to the bridge module in the NID.
edit: I think this is the NID you have. And the manufacturer makes an integrated POTS splitter bridge module, so TDS should be able to get them. I know the LEC in my area uses POTS splitter bridge modules.

Jacks shouldn't be floating. They should be screwed down to the wall or baseboard. And don't cut corners by using the cheap double-sided tape either.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you have VDSL, given the two circuits in the NID and not ADSL2+?

TDS tech should have a test meter, like a brown meter (resistance tests) or a Sidekick T&N which can do Stress, Resistance, and Leakage testing of the inside wire. That would be the best troubleshooting method to verify if the IW is good or bad. Stress on a good IW should be near 0, infinite leakage and minimal resistance. Same goes for both of the street pairs. The TDS tech would have a CO tech temporarily lift the coil at the CO and then run his Sidekick in Stress (verify good ground at NID), Leakage, and Kick tests to verify each circuit is good. If there are any issues like high stress or leakage, he'd either identify the issue (bad bridge module or protector, bad aerial/underground drop wire from NID to pole, etc) and fix (commonly a bridge tap is the issue and would be cut out) or find a new unused pair to swap and call in a cable pair change to the CO tech.

Next step would be installing a whole house POTS filter. Again TDS should install that given the amount of jacks you have. A dedicated non-filtered home run from the jack where the DSL modem is plugged into, all the way back to the POTS filter, then crosswired to the bridge module in the NID.

Jacks shouldn't be floating. They should be screwed down to the wall or baseboard. And don't cut corners by using the cheap double-sided tape either.

I have ADSL2+ I honestly don't know how he's cabling it or whats going on. I switched back to his cabling instead of mine and so far there's been no issues. Seems strange that last night the internet was going nuts at this time. I'm continuing to watch it though.

I have ADSL2+ I honestly don't know how he's cabling it or whats going on. I switched back to his cabling instead of mine and so far there's been no issues. Seems strange that last night the internet was going nuts at this time. I'm continuing to watch it though.

Okay. Looking at the photos, the grey CAT5 that feeds the two jacks next to each other, blue and orange pairs, appears to be a homerun back to the NID. Blue pair is connected to the jack that the DSL modem plugs into, correct? If so, then the DSL modem appears to be on its own circuit, so the filters on the house phones aren't needed.

Okay. Looking at the photos, the grey CAT5 that feeds the two jacks next to each other, blue and orange pairs, appears to be a homerun back to the NID. Blue pair is connected to the jack that the DSL modem plugs into, correct? If so, then the DSL modem appears to be on its own circuit, so the filters on the house phones aren't needed.

yeah. If i use TDS's run you can see here that the blue and white go to the dsl modem

I dont see anything on the box i can plug into unless I open the box. We just got the box upgraded and it used to have a lock(the old box did) but theres no lock now. Idk if i'm allowed to open it o_o

The cable running from the box outside is CAT5, its not a flat phone cable

I get that. It still isnt ethernet or an ethernet signal.

Alright so I opened it up and saw this. I unplugged both the black phone cords, and plugged in a flat type phone cable thats about 10ft long since i didn't have any cat5 with phone ends. It didn't get a connection on the bottom one but it did on the top one. I ran a 50ft ethernet cord after, there both temp exposed to the elements. My attenuation is the same but my SNR seems worse, it usually goes to 12 or 13 and now its going to 10-12. I'll see if any disconnects/errors occur.

3VRtjZFh.jpg

Is the modem in between the 10 foot phone cord and the 50 foot ethernet cord?

What brand and model # is your modem?

the way i hooked it up is 10ft phone cord into one of the phone jacks on the NID, then 50ft ethernet cord from modem to router.

I have two GT784WN's and a GT701D (by actiontec) as modems that i've been using.

Right now I'm back to TDS's setup (and wiring)and for some reason my connection is now super solid with only 1123 30 minute near end FEC's in 9hours.

If the disconnections start im gonna switch back to my wiring to see if a difference is made

http://gyazo.com/0644292369cb4cdde602f1beafd148e2

30 min near end FEC is increasing though, otherwise i've been stable for the last 14hours which is weird because I haven't really done anything...I hooked TDS's cabling backup and just pushed there cords in more lol

Last edited:
the way i hooked it up is 10ft phone cord into one of the phone jacks on the NID, then 50ft ethernet cord from modem to router.

I have two GT784WN's and a GT701D (by actiontec) as modems that i've been using.

Right now I'm back to TDS's setup (and wiring)and for some reason my connection is now super solid with only 1123 30 minute near end FEC's in 9hours.

If the disconnections start im gonna switch back to my wiring to see if a difference is made

http://gyazo.com/0644292369cb4cdde602f1beafd148e2

30 min near end FEC is increasing though, otherwise i've been stable for the last 14hours which is weird because I haven't really done anything...I hooked TDS's cabling backup and just pushed there cords in more lol

Some forward error corrections are normal and acceptable.

Lower is, of course, better.

I would not agree that you have done nothing. DSL is very sensitive to wiring issues and some have been cleared up.

A common mistake I see made frequently troubleshooting is assuming there is just one problem. You find X, fix it and if that doesnt get it to 100% it had nothing to do with X.

I frequently see multiple issues having a dysergistic effect.

Worse, smaller or less noticable issues are often masked by larger ones (like wiring).

I know it is really easy to think "I checked that" or "It cant be that," better to assume nothing and suspect everything.

Some forward error corrections are normal and acceptable.

Lower is, of course, better.

I would not agree that you have done nothing. DSL is very sensitive to wiring issues and some have been cleared up.

A common mistake I see made frequently troubleshooting is assuming there is just one problem. You find X, fix it and if that doesnt get it to 100% it had nothing to do with X.

I frequently see multiple issues having a dysergistic effect.

Worse, smaller or less noticable issues are often masked by larger ones (like wiring).

I know it is really easy to think "I checked that" or "It cant be that," better to assume nothing and suspect everything.

I see what you mean. So far i've been stable for 21hours, but at one point the downstream snr dropped to -1?! look at this, both of these happened today, and both happened for what it looks like near 10minutes each time

http://gyazo.com/f512c645fc15550fbe12d8fff7d5d3c2
https://gyazo.com/8affdaf148157a124f33183c199fd794

all these errors here occured from those two above drops
http://gyazo.com/762375458312b370a6c965eebf7705c9

upstream is green, downstream is blue, notice on how the 2nd one went to -1 yet somehow my modem never lost sync lol

The only thing on wiring I truely did since i started this thread was push TDS cables in more, and I bend there wires a tad bit in more for neatness. Other than that everything on the phone line has always been unplugged and I'm still not using the line I made currently as I haven't dc'd yet on tds's line. I also haven't switched back over to my line since I have routerstats running.

also my download attenuation is 29.5 but my upload attenuation is 14.8, why are they different

*update - the line slowly went down and then dropped.
http://gyazo.com/908788dad787e998f0fc98ebb1790479

you can see above where it went back up and the modem synced to 3.5mbps 566kbps upload. I manually reset the modem, and it only went to 4.7mbps. I plugged my line back in and it went up to 16mbps and back to full SNR although the upload is still zigzagging between 16 and 17

Last edited:
You dont have a micro-cell, do you?

what do you have within 10' on the cpe that could create emi/rfi?

Once you have eliminated inside wiring from the cause it is back to your ISP to resolve.

Start thinking of things that coincide with the spikes your seeing. Any automatic timers for lighting? Someone get home from work at that same time always? Neighbor watering the lawn? Street lights coming on, etc

How old are the modems? Is their firmware currant? Have you tried a non-alcatel brand?

You dont have a micro-cell, do you?

what do you have within 10' on the cpe that could create emi/rfi?

Once you have eliminated inside wiring from the cause it is back to your ISP to resolve.

Start thinking of things that coincide with the spikes your seeing. Any automatic timers for lighting? Someone get home from work at that same time always? Neighbor watering the lawn? Street lights coming on, etc

both gt784wns are new, with different firmware, GT701D is 1 year old. All use ISP specific firmware that is up to date. During those 10minute time spans nothing is really happening at the house, only I was home :/ we don't have anything that really turns on automatically.

have not tried a non actiontec brand as I dont have one

Also, for the 10ft run, theres nothing near it other than a water run that runs water out of our washer (I tried moving this already too lol) it goes right from the nid into my modem via a window, and then the cat5 ethernet runs from modem to basement back to other router

Last edited:
Back