IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A OK
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832 OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831 OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller OK
IRQ 21 Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835 OK
IRQ 22 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830 OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836 OK

So it appears the guys at Gigabyte thought it would be a good idea to put the ethernet controller on the same IRQ as the video card in their high end enthusisat board. Oh and lets toss on an USB hub too ! Apparently they all play Doom (the original) off the HD and never heard of on-line gaming.

It had not occured to me before (the above seems to work ok) but it seems that would be a decent argument for disabling the on-board NIC and go with a nice 3Com card in a PCI slot that would offload more of the network processing off of the cpu and you can set the IRQ for the PCI slots in the bios. hmmmm

Thanks Bill,

I thought you'd have the same IRQ sharing, appears to be a *feature* of Gigabyte.

My reasoning for asking, is due to my DS3R sharing the same.

I purchased the board new form the Egg, installed just like I have for years.

OS>Updates>Chipset>Video>Sound

All the components came from my 680i, (which runs flawless) with a clean install of the HD

It's fine on the desktop, but once I go into a game, I get 25% or less of normal my fps.

Board just came back from Gigabyte,before installation I called to find out what the issues were that they had found. I was told an internal jumper was *tripped* (this is the same board I sent in, no problem because they said it's *fixed*)

Install everything again, go to game, same issue, fps are beyond horrible. I call Gigabyte, tell them of the issues and they say they're sorry, and will cross ship me a board Monday.

While I was speaking with the tech, I asked about the IRQ sharing just to hear his response. He tells me it's ok for the USB to share with the video card, but not the Lan, due to conflicts with 2 high speed devices on the same IRQ. I chuckled to myself and asked if this is what is causing me all the problems, and he responed with a yes, this is why you are having all your problems.

Hmm, that sharing is by design, everyone that I have talked to about these boards has had the same IRQ sharing.

From my readings I've seen some with this model have had issues with the pci-e running at 1x instead of 16x.

New board should be here next week, then I can write a follow up.

Than you for that excellent info, I kinda gave up on getting "real" tech info out of Gigabyte. I am also pleased they seem to be trying to take care of you.

I was told an internal jumper was *tripped*

very interesting. do not know quite what to make of that but interesting. Look forward to your comments on the new board.

It's odd that you ask this. Just a couple days ago I moved my xFi to the bottom slot and rebooted and lost my videocard drivers and the sound card. reinstalling the drivers did nothing. When i moved the card back up to the 3rd slot from the bottom all was well.

Although that could also be a Vista64 issue.

Board #3 arrived yesterday, same situation. I'm not sure how much I should say at this point, but my problem has been reproduced in their labs. So I'll leave it at that for today.

Hey Bill, if you decide to turn on your pm, give me a holler ;)

Back