DS3 Rev 3.3

not quite on topic, but can someone tell me what the difference is between the s3 and the DS3? thanks

Price also went up to 125.88+7 shipping at ClubIT Guaranteed to be v3.3. wish there was a guarantee at newegg. same price, but 1 yr rma with newegg. Never used a gigabye board either. Contimplating between GB and Asus.

Question: I see that there is this VGA connector on the back of the DS3, named VGA/D-Sub out, is that a built-in VGA? If that is so, COOL!

Hi all,

I was at MC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to find the version information on the packaging. Anyone know where this info is?

Thanks.

Question: I see that there is this VGA connector on the back of the DS3, named VGA/D-Sub out, is that a built-in VGA? If that is so, COOL!

they have the 965p DS3 which does not have built in gpu, and they have 965G DS3 which does have the built in gpu; however I think you get better results using the 965P.

Hi all,

I was at MC, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to find the version information on the packaging. Anyone know where this info is?

Thanks.

Top right hand corner of the box, they slapped a sticker on it that looks like this ( the sign wasnt for you)
HPIM6103.jpg

not quite on topic, but can someone tell me what the difference is between the s3 and the DS3? thanks

Price also went up to 125.88+7 shipping at ClubIT Guaranteed to be v3.3. wish there was a guarantee at newegg. same price, but 1 yr rma with newegg. Never used a gigabye board either. Contimplating between GB and Asus.

not to mention the 15 dollar paypal rebate if ya buy at the egg. I got mine :-p

they have the 965p DS3 which does not have built in gpu, and they have 965G DS3 which does have the built in gpu; however I think you get better results using the 965P.

Yeah, my bad, I was looking at the wrong board! I was looking at the 965G and not the 965P. :D :p

I was sitting on the fence trying to determine whats with all the revisions. Looks like I'll be getting mines from ClubIt. Apparently Fry's product descriptions are sparse (no rev info) so I won't be buying from them.

I was sitting on the fence trying to determine whats with all the revisions. Looks like I'll be getting mines from ClubIt. Apparently Fry's product descriptions are sparse (no rev info) so I won't be buying from them.

The Houston Fry's (as of last weekend) had all rev 1 and 2. I'd assume the online store is the same. Most are now saying that Newegg has rev 3. Might be worth going that route if you use paypal, since they give you $15.00 if you use them (or maybe it's deducted from the receipt).

Is yours 3.3?

Yes, dude, theres a pic of it 2 posts above your post. If it says 1333 on the sticker its a 3.3. For now anyways. From what it says in the interview with that guy on that page on some website 2.0 will support 1333 but the bus wont be the same as 3.3 and the multiplier will be different somehow.

I wonder why Gigabyte doesn't use the ICH8R on the DS3. It will make it even more enticing! I read a review at Neoseeker and it says feature for feature and options, the DS3 loses to the MSI P965 Platinum. But I was reading Newegg's feedback on the MSI's and it's got many bad ones. The DS3 got more good ones. So, I guess there's pros and cons for both mobos.

I wonder why Gigabyte doesn't use the ICH8R on the DS3. It will make it even more enticing! I read a review at Neoseeker and it says feature for feature and options, the DS3 loses to the MSI P965 Platinum. But I was reading Newegg's feedback on the MSI's and it's got many bad ones. The DS3 got more good ones. So, I guess there's pros and cons for both mobos.

They do on the 3.3

Are you sure? Can you confirm that? Now, I'm really excited!

In device manager it says in the IDE tab "Intel(R) ICH8 2 port serial ata controller", then below that it says "Intel(R) ICH8 4 port serial ata controller" Then it lists ICH8 5 times in system devices.

That the answer youre looking for?

edit, oooh. I see ICH8R is raid?

In device manager it says in the IDE tab "Intel(R) ICH8 2 port serial ata controller", then below that it says "Intel(R) ICH8 4 port serial ata controller" Then it lists ICH8 5 times in system devices.

Hmm....I wouldn't have any way of telling from that device info page...unless spec changes and Gigabyte adds the ICH8R in the 3.3 revision..it's something to find out for sure.

They do on the 3.3

Hmm....I wouldn't have any way of telling from that device info page...unless spec changes and Gigabyte adds the ICH8R in the 3.3 revision..it's something to find out for sure.

DS3 3.3 DOES NOT have the ICH8R. Only the DS3P/DS4/DQ6 have the ICH8R.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...iew.aspx?ProductID=2456&ModelName=GA-965P-DS3

well do you think this will be a good board.I just pull the submit button for one . I hope it will be a good overclocker at least 400fsb. that would be just fine on my e6400 and the 2 gb of patriot 667 ram.Everyone says the NB gets very hot on these boards so I think I will order a cooler for it also.:D

well do you think this will be a good board.I just pull the submit button for one . I hope it will be a good overclocker at least 400fsb. that would be just fine on my e6400 and the 2 gb of patriot 667 ram.Everyone says the NB gets very hot on these boards so I think I will order a cooler for it also.:D

Or just put a fan up there around the northbridge.

Or just put a fan up there around the northbridge.

Yeah. The stock heatsink is great but its passive. I added a fan and the thing barely feels warm now . I also did it in a way thay if I had to RMA there wouldnt be any glue or marks to give the company an excuse to deny a repair.

In the case of using a fan to blow onto a NB passive HS, I usually tape and secure an 80x80 fan right on the back of my video card and it will blow directly onto the NB cooler. Another option is to use strapties to tie the fan somewhere close by the NB and just directly the air toward the NB cooler. It helps alot in many cases. No warranty to mess with.

Just got my DS3 3.3 in the mail today from ClubIT. It came in the 2.0 box like the picture earlier shows but inside is the REV 3.3 board. Funny thing is the 2.0 is a sticker, guess they didn't bother spending the cash on a new sticker for the box. Pass the savings on.

got my ram in from newegg too, and it went on sale for $5 cheaper than when i bought it so they credited me. thanks newegg..

Good news! :)

I can't say it isn't a bit odd to get a 3.3 inside a 2.0 box :rolleyes: , but as long as the board is a 3.3 that's fine :D

what ram did you get, outspoken? is it working fine with the ds3? what vdimm are u using?

Good luck with your new set!

Doesn't it say "Generation" 2.0; that's different than a revision number; it's a Gen. 2 board.

Doesn't it say "Generation" 2.0; that's different than a revision number; it's a Gen. 2 board.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was kind of strange that the serial number sticker wouldn't reflect the v. 3.3. Not saying that it didn't happen, but it just seemed kind of strange.

Ok, I"m confused. I'm looking at the 965p-ds3 spec page and there's clearly supposed to be 2 1394 ports, but I can't find one on my board anywhere.

There's also not one on the rear panel, which is also supposed to be there.

Am I missing something?

i think you need a special verison of the board that has firewire built in. The P version has what you were looking for.

Ok, I"m confused. I'm looking at the 965p-ds3 spec page and there's clearly supposed to be 2 1394 ports, but I can't find one on my board anywhere.

There's also not one on the rear panel, which is also supposed to be there.

Am I missing something?

Yeah, there's a DS3 and a DS3P. The P isn't available in the US.

Yeah, there's a DS3 and a DS3P. The P isn't available in the US.

That's lame. Talk about a confusing naming system....965P-DS3 965P-DS3P. I really don't get why they don't have at least on e 1394 port on the 965. I wonder if you could just drop a connector in the holes and get it work (wish full thinking, I'm sure)?

At the very least, you'd think they'd send you a back plate that doesn't have a hole for the 1394 port :rolleyes:

That's lame. Talk about a confusing naming system....965P-DS3 965P-DS3P. I really don't get why they don't have at least on e 1394 port on the 965. I wonder if you could just drop a connector in the holes and get it work (wish full thinking, I'm sure)?

At the very least, you'd think they'd send you a back plate that doesn't have a hole for the 1394 port :rolleyes:

Once you have one, it's not hard to get two.. The ds3 is missing the controller for it.

so what the hell is the difference?

i have ver 1 and runs 480+mhz stable..

just wondering why ppl are so anxious to get 3.0 no matter what..

Back