• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Drunk with Credit Cards, DOH!!!

Leadman584

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
448
Recently had a minor back injury. Half a bottle of Canadian Mist, and no more back pain :D . Sitting at my computer, entirely too close to my credit cards, I go looking for a mini pci based diagnostic card, I'd seen in a catalog. TigerDirect has 'em for 30 buck apiece, I order 2.

Here's where the story takes a sick turn. I figured I'd look around a bit :rolleyes: . Go to the barebones section, and find a deal too good to pass on. Case, PSU, A8V Deluxe, Athlon64 3400+, with HSF, keyboard, mouse, and cheapo speakers. After $100 rebate, the package comes to 299.99. In my inebriated state, I start figuring out needed additions. If you're gonna screw up, don't be half assed about it. Find a Plextor 16x DVD burner (love Plextor and Plextools Pro) for $103 after rebate. Since they're RAM Prices were a little out of hand, head to the EGG. Two sticks of 256MB OCX PC3200, sets me back another 95 bucks. Since I've got a spare 36GB Raptor and a 160GB Caviar gathering dust, I need a floppy drive. $8 takes care of that. Don't even bother to order a graphics card for this concoction, the alcohol has finally got me.

This morning, after the mental fog lifts a bit, I realize what I have done :( . How do I explain the need for 3 desktop systems in my bedroom? The only cryptic answer I could muster was "Mayhem".

If anyone is interested in taking a look, the link to the "Great Deal" is

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1133509&Sku=A455-2110 B

Looks like it's back to doing in home service, on folks rigs. On the upside, maybe I can borg a few of 'em :D .


 
Leadman584 said:
Recently had a minor back injury. Half a bottle of Canadian Mist, and no more back pain :D . Sitting at my computer, entirely too close to my credit cards, I go looking for a mini pci based diagnostic card, I'd seen in a catalog. TigerDirect has 'em for 30 buck apiece, I order 2.

Here's where the story takes a sick turn. I figured I'd look around a bit :rolleyes: . Go to the barebones section, and find a deal too good to pass on. Case, PSU, A8V Deluxe, Athlon64 3400+, with HSF, keyboard, mouse, and cheapo speakers. After $100 rebate, the package comes to 299.99. In my inebriated state, I start figuring out needed additions. If you're gonna screw up, don't be half assed about it. Find a Plextor 16x DVD burner (love Plextor and Plextools Pro) for $103 after rebate. Since they're RAM Prices were a little out of hand, head to the EGG. Two sticks of 256MB OCX PC3200, sets me back another 95 bucks. Since I've got a spare 36GB Raptor and a 160GB Caviar gathering dust, I need a floppy drive. $8 takes care of that. Don't even bother to order a graphics card for this concoction, the alcohol has finally got me.

This morning, after the mental fog lifts a bit, I realize what I have done :( . How do I explain the need for 3 desktop systems in my bedroom? The only cryptic answer I could muster was "Mayhem".

If anyone is interested in taking a look, the link to the "Great Deal" is

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1133509&Sku=A455-2110 B

Looks like it's back to doing in home service, on folks rigs. On the upside, maybe I can borg a few of 'em :D .

That is a great price though....Don't tempt me.
 
but dell has systems + flat screen for 399 right now and server systems for 299.

maybe not better, but comparable at the last :)

 
This is one of the many reasons I quit Drinking, but if you are only getting Drunk and buying computers, more power to ya./


 
DR_K13 said:
This is one of the many reasons I quit Drinking, but if you are only getting Drunk and buying computers, more power to ya./




congrats in advance, (by 30 mins or so), in reaching 50k :)

l
 
Dang, that is pretty sweet, especially considering the street price of all that stuff separately is around $460 ($250 for cpu, $125 for mobo, $50 for case, and $35 for the rest of the stuff). The case is even kinda saixy!
 
DR_K13 said:
This is one of the many reasons I quit Drinking, but if you are only getting Drunk and buying computers, more power to ya./




Yea, when I bought my truck I was too drunk to do a test drive. They only let me drive it around their lot.

One of many reasons I don't drink either....
 
Leadman584 said:
This morning, after the mental fog lifts a bit, I realize what I have done . How do I explain the need for 3 desktop systems in my bedroom? The only cryptic answer I could muster was "Mayhem".

Atta boy Leadman! :D
Its been a good bout so far and thanks for the warning!
Besides who do you have to explain it to anyway? It can always be justified as "because im a geek!"
Well it works for me anyway when trying to explain the whirring hum that comes from my office.

Today I gave the boxen to my Mom, have to see how that goes! So I wont be able to count on too much production out of that one. Here is your chance to pass, it will take a little bit to replace that box.
Good job and fold on!

 
Where the heck is Relic, when you need a little sympathy? Obviously I don't get that drunk often, or I'd be folding with 50 or 60 boxen. Fortunately, this rig looks good sober too. Now to pay the credit card bills :rolleyes: . Thank goodness I used the carry over card (Capital One). I clear the balances on all others every month.


 
Leadman584 said:
Where the heck is Relic, when you need a little sympathy? Obviously I don't get that drunk often, or I'd be folding with 50 or 60 boxen. Fortunately, this rig looks good sober too. Now to pay the credit card bills :rolleyes: . Thank goodness I used the carry over card (Capital One). I clear the balances on all others every month.



Now dont beat yourself up.
buttkick.gif

Be happy!
dancing_banana.gif


 
Fujiwara Takumi said:
but dell has systems + flat screen for 399 right now and server systems for 299.

maybe not better, but comparable at the last :)


But it's a Dell......

really though I wish Dell would start selling AMD.
 
Fujiwara Takumi said:
but dell has systems + flat screen for 399 right now and server systems for 299.

maybe not better, but comparable at the last :)

Yeah, man, and a Dell, especially with a flat monitor, is going to screw you over horribly ass bad. My parents-in-law got a Dell (one of the cheap-o ones youre talking about) and, let me tell you, I almost murdered them both for doing that. The damn Dells that are that cheap don't even come with enough RAM to run Windows XP home, and goes SLLLOOOOWWWW AS FUUUUCCKK! (that would be super duper slow in non-cursing language) And the idiot technician that they called said "well, the partitions look like they've been messed with, so that's what's causing the slowdown" ok, they claimed to have "fixed" the messed up drive partitions and said its all good. Their computer ran like absolute shit for the next few months. I kept telling them about this thing called "MORE FREAKIN RAM" but they kept swearing that they have viruses and that someone keeps on getting into their den to put them on the computer. Well, one day, I decide to take a little peek inside their computer while they're at work, and find out that there is one 128mb stick of cheesball-ass RAM that's just barely enough to run windows xp home SLOWLY. Good god, I am pissed. Then I go and do a decent thing and get some new RAM for them (512mb of it), secretly place it into their computer, they get home, use the computer, and say comments like "wow, the computers running sooo good today!" And I'm like, "no...it's running normal today". Well, all in all, Dell....I don't know about them, man. They try to get these slow ass computers out, that seem fast to old people who've never used a computer before...and sad thing is...ITS WORKING!
 
lesman said:
Yeah, man, and a Dell, especially with a flat monitor, is going to screw you over horribly ass bad. My parents-in-law got a Dell (one of the cheap-o ones youre talking about) and, let me tell you, I almost murdered them both for doing that. The damn Dells that are that cheap don't even come with enough RAM to run Windows XP home, and goes SLLLOOOOWWWW AS FUUUUCCKK! (that would be super duper slow in non-cursing language) And the idiot technician that they called said "well, the partitions look like they've been messed with, so that's what's causing the slowdown" ok, they claimed to have "fixed" the messed up drive partitions and said its all good. Their computer ran like absolute shit for the next few months. I kept telling them about this thing called "MORE FREAKIN RAM" but they kept swearing that they have viruses and that someone keeps on getting into their den to put them on the computer. Well, one day, I decide to take a little peek inside their computer while they're at work, and find out that there is one 128mb stick of cheesball-ass RAM that's just barely enough to run windows xp home SLOWLY. Good god, I am pissed. Then I go and do a decent thing and get some new RAM for them (512mb of it), secretly place it into their computer, they get home, use the computer, and say comments like "wow, the computers running sooo good today!" And I'm like, "no...it's running normal today". Well, all in all, Dell....I don't know about them, man. They try to get these slow ass computers out, that seem fast to old people who've never used a computer before...and sad thing is...ITS WORKING!

Lesman,

Time to join a anti-Dell support group...


 
lol!

I dont wanna get another pc cos of the electricity, my housemates would probably make me pay 2 shares :(
 
Leadman584 said:
How do I explain the need for 3 desktop systems in my bedroom? The only cryptic answer I could muster was "Mayhem".
The same way I explain the need for 5 monitors for 2 computers.

I'm doing my best to resist the temptation to skip upgrading our fileserver and go get one of these... thankfully I'm not a drinker (or a credit card holder!), or I'd have about a jillion of these lying around (and a thousand jillion in debt).

Just Say No to dell.
 
Well, went and got a cheapo 9250 vid card (for now) for new monster, almost criminal putting a crap vid card in the fastest system in my garden. For 42 bucks it will do for now. May have to swap cards around in my bedroom rigs. Since I don't really use the 2-74GB Raptors I have in my encoding box, may have to move them to a new home as well. In RAID0 on the new box, kinda curious about performance. Asus saw fit to integrate wi-fi, but not graphics on this board. I'm liking it already. Fortunately, all bedroom rigs run ATI vid cards. No driver conflicts. Now for the pesky OS problem. I guess oldest(slowest) system runs mandrake full time. Have retail XP Pro on that box now. Really a shame M$ doesn't have enough money to grant a tad of leniency, to those who have already paid 5 or 6 hundred bucks for OS's.


 
That's a right decent price on that stuff. Mobo and processor alone would set you back at least $300.
 
Damn you..............I just bought a new rig last week. But that is such a damn good deal......ordering mine on monday......and I am going in for my tattoo on monday, Ill be broke by the end of the week, hahaha.


Chris
 
here's why it was cheap:
Process Technology 0.13 Micron, SOI
they're trying to rid themselves of the older core 939 chips. it probably won't overclock very far.

it'll still be fast, though.

hey, as long as it'll fold, right?
 
Well, I figured I'd try and make up for building a computer, I don't need, by selling the Lightspeed that's gathering dust. Got caught by gf taking pics to post in the FS forum. In no uncertain terms, I have been required to use this unit, on the rig I'm building. Thank goodness she makes a lot more money than I do. I'm positive the woman wants to see me suffer from my own stupidity. This is on of those life lessons, you gotta learn the hard way, I guess.

On the plus side. This chip may overclock pretty well at sub-zero temps. Just looking for the silver lining in the storm clouds I've encountered.


 
Probably kill a person, and end their ability to use a credit card. Not an experiment I'm willing to undertake.


 
I don't know, I've drank a fifth of Jack Daniels in one sitting several times before and didn't have any problems other than the fact that driving wasn't a good idea. It was probably a good thing that I didn't have any credit cards at the time. I wouldn't have had a problem with internet buying sprees since there really wasn't the chance of that at the time. But a Computer Shopper magazine would probably have been the end of me.

 
Back
Top