Dropbox Changing Plans/Pricing

Wow, I've saved a to of money by not using their service.
3TB for $200 bux a year??
You ger 20TB for that with Google One.

Personally I stick with the 15GB free with your Google account. ;)

20T is $200/month on google. 2T is $10/month which is pretty on par with this.

I prefer the Dropbox model of work across my mobiles/PC`s/NAS , also i read somewhere its block based sync vs google file base
but the bummer is that i only use like 200gb so now i wasting even more space for more money , great.

That's a nice little upgrade, but as others have mentioned competitors offer similar services and value. Among "standard" cloud storage setups, Google seems to be one of the better in terms of value, but the vast majority of them have privacy implications - Dropbox included.

Those with an interest in privacy/security who still choose/need to use big name/standard type Dropbox/Google/Microsoft/Box etc... cloud storage, I suggest using Cryptomator - https://cryptomator.org/ - which is free and open source, adding client-side encryption to files in cloud storage

There are also other cloud storage providers out there with privacy/security in mind to some degree, such as Mega ( https://mega.nz/ ) and SpiderOak ( https://spideroak.com/ ) are by default encrypted and also have elements of their platform (ie clients etc) open sourced.

Those seeking the utmost privacy/security/control of cloud storage may want to look into NextCloud ( https://nextcloud.com/ ) a fully open source platform for providing cloud services. You can host it yourself if you wish, or you can buy a pre-hosted instance that meets your needs. It is quite full featured catering to many "cloud" needs, all while maintaining server and/or client side/zero knowledge encryption if you enable it.

Well played drop box, you just screwed a bunch of people out of an extra 20 bucks to give them more space that you were going to give them anyway. Note that all cloud storage must offer significantly more than office 365 or it looks like a joke since o365 is 100 per year for 5 users and 1 tb plus you get all of Microsoft office. Therefore if you want a decent cloud solution at the $100 price point it only makes sense you must offer 1.5 TB or more.

And you can clearly see that most of the other competitors are sitting at 2tb or more for their $100 price point. You could even argue that at $50 you have the same problem because of the office 365 personal which is also 1tb.

Last edited:
mega , 50 gig free for each email account ;)

Buddy of mine use to teach at ITT Tech. When dropbox first came out he was showing his classes and got everybody to sign up and put his email in as a referral. He got several TB free piled up over the years!

DropBox is pretty friendly with 3 letter agencies.
Are they? I should have researched it more.

Note that all cloud storage must offer significantly more than office 365 or it looks like a joke since o365 is 100 per year for 5 users and 1 tb plus you get all of Microsoft office.
...and you have to trust Microsoft not to hand your information over to the government. No thanks.

Among "standard" cloud storage setups, Google seems to be one of the better in terms of value, but the vast majority of them have privacy implications - Dropbox included.
Those with an interest in privacy/security who still choose/need to use big name/standard type Dropbox/Google/Microsoft/Box etc... cloud storage, I suggest using Cryptomator - https://cryptomator.org/ - which is free and open source, adding client-side encryption to files in cloud storage

There are also other cloud storage providers out there with privacy/security in mind to some degree, such as Mega ( https://mega.nz/ ) and SpiderOak ( https://spideroak.com/ ) are by default encrypted and also have elements of their platform (ie clients etc) open sourced.

Those seeking the utmost privacy/security/control of cloud storage may want to look into NextCloud ( https://nextcloud.com/ ) a fully open source platform for providing cloud services. You can host it yourself if you wish, or you can buy a pre-hosted instance that meets your needs. It is quite full featured catering to many "cloud" needs, all while maintaining server and/or client side/zero knowledge encryption if you enable it.
Didn't Mega get raided by the Feds? Can I trust my data there?

Last edited:

...and you have to trust Microsoft not to hand your information over to the government. No thanks.

Microsoft has been fighting the Feds to high hell to not give them data and really holding the US gov’t to task on the validity of warrants. If you are a US citizen and your data is held on a server in the US and they are handed a valid warrant for that information then they will hand it over, not just Microsoft but Google, Apple, Dropbox, the whole bunch. But if your data is say in Canada or Ireland then Microsoft’s legal team has a long track history of making the US file warrants in the countries where said data is located and follow long international procedures.

Mega didn't. The previous company around a decade ago "MegaUpload" got hit during the "file locker DMCA crackdown" phase, particularly because they're owned by "KimDotcom". After all that, the next iteration of Mega has client side encryption and is set up in a different way legally and technically. Its still not fully open source, but especially when KimDotcom knows what its like for the gov't to come knocking and is generally antagonistic, its probably a better locale than most common backup/hosting setups.

I'm kinda surprised no one has bought up Backblaze. Unlimited data (though I know that word seems meaningless in many industries) for $60/year.

I'll admit I haven't scoured the fine print but this pricing seems disruptive, and I believe there are competing products with identical pricing.

Every one of these cloud players is going to hand your data over to the government if they are compelled to, get out of here with selective bias arguments. That is not even relevant to the discussion if you have some data that is so risky you can't trust Microsoft then you are a very niche person and you need a very special solution. That has nothing to do with the people who are using google drive, icloud, dropbox or any major cloud solution.

I run nextcloud....Only thing I pay is my normal ISP Bill. It's just another VM on my sandy/ivy huge-ram VM server.

I have been meaning to try this out. As I have a home media server with lots of extra room that runs 24/7 anyway and a fiber connection at home.

So nextcloud is a "self hosting" cloud service where you can host the data on YOUR servers?

Synology NAS units has a good file sharing app built in, self expiring links and all that

I prefer cloud drives that don't require me to store the entire drive on every computer I want to sync.

Google Drive File Stream emulates a G: drive and doesn't store any of the contents locally until you try to access a file, then it caches it temporarily.
OneDrive operates out of a folder like most other cloud drives, but also doesn't download anything until you need the data.

I can't even imagine syncing 1+ TB to every computer linked to my dropbox account. What a waste of space!

So nextcloud is a "self hosting" cloud service where you can host the data on YOUR servers?

Or 'private cloud' if you want to use buzzwords. I've been running nextcloud for a couple years now. AD integrated w/ MFA. App on my phone auto syncs all my pics to the server, plus any other files I manually sync so I don't lose them with my phone. Also store my keepassXC database there to sync between all my devices. I do not trust storing my personal data on anyone else's 'cloud' services due to the constant data leaks/security issues/snooping. Same reason I run my own exchange server at home.

Google/apple/MS/dropbox, I don't believe for a second when they tell me they care about my privacy and are absolutely definitely not selling our data or sharing with government entities *wink wink*.

I use www.time4vps.com/storage-

Ive been there a while and have 500 GB for $22/year granfathered in.

Everything is pre-encrypted before transfer. Not doing anything wrong, just me being paranoid secure. The only way you are getting my data is if *I* lose the keys.

Think I might need to look into setting up nextcloud on my NAS then. Been wanting a personal cloud setup to backup my phone pictures and everything remotely, easily. How are the phone apps? Easy to setup? What about sharing stuff with others who have their own account?

Think I might need to look into setting up nextcloud on my NAS then. Been wanting a personal cloud setup to backup my phone pictures and everything remotely, easily. How are the phone apps? Easy to setup? What about sharing stuff with others who have their own account?
It's not really backup if it's not offsite, preferably out of region. If your house burns down and your PC and NAS go up in smoke, not much good is it? Interface like owncloud doesn't really matter.

I have 2 Backups. Local on NAS. Remote on a storage server thousands of miles away.

Microsoft has been fighting the Feds to high hell to not give them data and really holding the US gov’t to task on the validity of warrants. If you are a US citizen and your data is held on a server in the US and they are handed a valid warrant for that information then they will hand it over, not just Microsoft but Google, Apple, Dropbox, the whole bunch. But if your data is say in Canada or Ireland then Microsoft’s legal team has a long track history of making the US file warrants in the countries where said data is located and follow long international procedures.

Also its a pretty safe bet there are NSA people on site at Microsoft, unbeknownst to Microsoft. Paid as Microsoft employees.

An absolute certainty, I would say.

It's not really backup if it's not offsite, preferably out of region. If your house burns down and your PC and NAS go up in smoke, not much good is it? Interface like owncloud doesn't really matter.

I have 2 Backups. Local on NAS. Remote on a storage server thousands of miles away.

This is just a backup for if I lose my phone, drop it in water, etc... not my other data. ;)

I'm lazy. I tried to use the various Open Office products over the years, but they kept hair-balling very simple page layout stuff. I finally signed on for a subscription to Office 365, and I am much happier. And .. and .. *sniff* .. since I had Office 365, and since Office 365 kept bugging me about it, I broke down and started using Microsoft's OneDrive, and I feel awful, but it seems to work fine.

Also its a pretty safe bet there are NSA people on site at Microsoft, unbeknownst to Microsoft. Paid as Microsoft employees.

An absolute certainty, I would say.
Probably true for all of them. I mean if they are going to do it at MS, why stop there?

I'm lazy. I tried to use the various Open Office products over the years, but they kept hair-balling very simple page layout stuff. I finally signed on for a subscription to Office 365, and I am much happier. And .. and .. *sniff* .. since I had Office 365, and since Office 365 kept bugging me about it, I broke down and started using Microsoft's OneDrive, and I feel awful, but it seems to work fine.
It really does, and god forbid you start using Teams.... or SharePoint online... and once you are there it is only a tiny step to Dynamics then your soul is forever lost to the Microsoft Machines. All hail the Omnissiah.

It really does, and god forbid you start using Teams.... or SharePoint online... and once you are there it is only a tiny step to Dynamics then your soul is forever lost to the Microsoft Machines. All hail the Omnissiah.

Yes. Microsoft is like a rowboat, but it only rows you further out to sea. At first it's fun, but then you realize, "Hey, you bastards! I'm headed out to sea on a rowboat, you shit-heads, and I don't even know where land is anymore!" It seems dumb to leave the rowboat, which is still rowing further out to sea.

Then one day you realize it's a pretty nice ocean.

P.S. Sometimes you will meet other rowboats. Sometimes there will be dead people in those rowboats, which will be sad. Sometimes people will show up in newer boats and say, "Hey, you're in the middle of the ocean on a rowboat, do you need help?" But it's a nice ocean, and you will say, "No."

P.P.S. Sometimes, at night, you'll have nightmares about Internet Explorer 6.

Yes. Microsoft is like a rowboat, but it only rows you further out to sea. At first it's fun, but then you realize, "Hey, you bastards! I'm headed out to sea on a rowboat, you shit-heads, and I don't even know where land is anymore!" It seems dumb to leave the rowboat, which is still rowing further out to sea.

Then one day you realize it's a pretty nice ocean.

P.S. Sometimes you will meet other rowboats. Sometimes there will be dead people in those rowboats, which will be sad. Sometimes people will show up in newer boats and say, "Hey, you're in the middle of the ocean on a rowboat, do you need help?" But it's a nice ocean, and you will say, "No."

P.P.S. Sometimes, at night, you'll have nightmares about Internet Explorer 6.
/like this post x500 times if the forum would let me.

So 1 backup.

I always aim for the $60/yr promotion that happens around Black Friday/Cyber Monday from Dell. Now that 2TB is $60/yr, I really can't complain (other than lack of full encryption).

Back