Drone-Powered Parasols Possibly Coming to Japanese Golf Courses in 2019

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The Japanese have finally solved the problem of golfing in the rain and they're using a drone to do it. For the low price of just $275 you will be able to buy a drone-powered parasol that will stay right above your head while you're out on the course. Of course you'll have everyone on the course mad at you because of the noise, but you won't have to hold it up. Seriously, this thing is loud and I don't see a market for this anywhere but in wacky Japan. Check out the quiet video.

Watch the video here.

The prototype in the video weighs about five kilograms (11 pounds) and can fly for about 20 minutes on a single charge. However, it is planned to bring Free Parasol down to one kilo (two pounds) and give it a flight time of one hour by the time it hits the market in 2019.

Everyone is listening to their earbuds anyway. Need this to work for shade outside down here in south Texas.

Once they slim down on the materials used for the umbrella, that should help with noise as less powerful motors could be used at that point.
Still, another interesting way to use a drone.

Either way, sweet! One step closer to what I'd like to see for a nifty gadget....a drone that can follow me around, third person, freely, etc. and be given voice commands to record the area around me.
3 o'clock high, wide or 90 degrees low for example.
Or better yet, track where I'm looking (would need some sort of fixed eye tracking mechanism on my head at this point) and record accordingly.

Rain = storm = wind. I know, let's attach a drone with spinning blades to a large wind catching umbrella and then have it try and hover above a person's head in a rainstorm... What could possibly go wrong?! Idiotic idea. Even if it could maintain position, the downdraft and the freak'n noise would be annoying as all hell. I liked the Bluetooth enabled water bottle idea better- the one that informed you on your phone that you should drink water now because you are thirsty. Just stop already. When will this utter stupidity in tech ideas cease? It's like common rationality/sense decided to take a vacation... and the really sad thing is when crap like this makes it onto funding sites and people out there actually think this is a rational and well thought out idea and supports them... simple physics, science and rational thought be damned.

Last edited:
Rain = storm = wind. I know, let's attach a drone with spinning blades to a large wind catching umbrella and then have it try and hover above a person's head in a rainstorm... What could possibly go wrong?! Idiotic idea. Even if it could maintain position, the downdraft and the freak'n noise would be annoying as all hell...

What I was going to say but not in as many words.

LMAO as a RC Pilot...the first wind gust will be nice to watch..LoL...idiots...no idea what they are really doing. Rain always comes with wind and I wanna see this little thing fighting the wind, with a Parasol attached.

Seriously...NO

The flight time for the prototype is 20 minutes, and the release version will be 1 hour. The average playing time for a round of golf is 4 hours. If they can quadruple the flight time and lower the noise considerably, they might have a chance.

You always hear how the umbrella has never changed. Looks like it's finally evolved.

Lawsuit. First time the drone gets blown down into someone's hair, it's gonna be pain and suffering.

Or the golfer gets sued for using the "automated haircut feature" before paying the $100 licensing fee.

Back