Droid

pdasmartphone.jpg

The $44.99 is for... Someone w/ more info can fill us in. Maybe exchange? I know this phone has that capability. Wow, a bitch if you had to pay an extra $15 bucks for that!

Last I had this type of plan on Verizon (less than a year ago) the 44.99 plan was for Exchange support. Email through an Exchange server was not possible on the $29.99 a month plan.

Then out here I tried Sprint and the Pre because they "roam" on Verizon and get the "same" coverage. Not true. Robot voices, dropped calls, missing voicemails. More frustration in 3 days than 3 months w/ Verizon.

This sort of stuff is far more location dependent than carrier dependent. I'm on Sprint, and I also can't remember the last time I dropped a call.

It may very well have been my Pre too. That thing was a royal POS. It would reset itself if dropped from the couch to the floor, lol.

I just hope verizon doesn't make some high priced plan this specific phone must have. Hopefully it is just a $20 smart phone price like other WinMo phones.

there is going to be a "dumb phone" version, an ENvY Touch competitor if you will that can be had using the 10 , and 20 dollar ala cart megabyte plans or Connect and Premium. It will not be as feature rich.

Haah! I'm going to make fun of every one little tween I see w/ that!

I looked up the specs of the htc hero and motorola droid on wikipedia, assuming the specs are correct.

droid:
550 MHz processor
256 MB RAM

hero:
528 MHz processor
288 MB RAM

so the droid has 22 MHz over the hero, but 32 MB less RAM. How is one faster than the other? I don't see a clear winner.

am I missing something?

I looked up the specs of the htc hero and motorola droid on wikipedia, assuming the specs are correct.

droid:
550 MHz processor
256 MB RAM

hero:
528 MHz processor
288 MB RAM

so the droid has 22 MHz over the hero, but 32 MB less RAM. How is one faster than the other? I don't see a clear winner.

am I missing something?

Droid uses a new TI OMAP (similar if not identical to the chips in the iPhone and Pre) and the Hero uses an old ARM11. You can't directly compare clock speeds.

Droid uses a new TI OMAP (similar if not identical to the chips in the iPhone and Pre) and the Hero uses an old ARM11. You can't directly compare clock speeds.

hmm, i see. its still missing the 32 MB of ram, hopefully the CPU can make up for it.

From what a friend who used to sell verizon contracts as of a month ago, he said you could get a family connect plan and you could use smart phones on that except the blackberries (as they require some special package). On the connect it seems to be $20 additional per line as opposed to the $30.

Does anyone have this sort of plan with their smart phone?

Last edited:
From what a friend who used to sell verizon contracts as of a month ago, he said you could get a family connect plan and you could use smart phones on that except the blackberries (as they require some special package). On the connect it seems to be $20 additional per line as opposed to the $30.

Does anyone have this sort of plan with their smart phone?

Your friend is incorrect and most likely that is why he no longer has a job. The 10 dollar and 20 dollar features are for plans other than Connect and do not apply to smart phones. These features are for phones that are data capable "dumb phones" if you will like the Envy , Rouge etc.

The Connect plan is an all inclusive plan for data capable "dumb phones" that does not require the 10 or 20 dollar feature since data and email is included. Finally, the Premium plan offers the same unlimited data and email for "dumb phones" as the Connect plan but includes VZ Navigator and VCast . Unlimited Pic and Text messaging is also included in both the Connect and Premium plans

All PDA smart phones require a minimum 29.99 unlimited email and data plan or 44.95 for the same with enterprise/exchange support.

In the case of Blackberry there may be a license fee for the enterprise side that is easily eliviated by on going multiple line promotions and or some quick conversation with the correct CS staff member

Last edited:
Last I had this type of plan on Verizon (less than a year ago) the 44.99 plan was for Exchange support. Email through an Exchange server was not possible on the $29.99 a month plan.

It does support it, in a clunky workaround way; if you know the OWA address for your mailserver, and OWA is enabled.

However, only the main inbox is synced; if you need subfolder items delivered you must create a rule in Outlook. It is for this reason i'm looking at the Droid, from what I hear it will have excellent Exchange support.

All PDA smart phones require a minimum 29.99 unlimited email and data plan or 44.95 for the same with enterprise/exchange support.
Ok then. The current plan I am on right now is grandfathered in from alltel where each additional line on our contract is $15. Is that $30 fee you speak of an additional charge to the per line fee ($15 in my case) or is it just $30 for that line? Also, can you add this $30 smart phone plan onto an existing contract that isn't meant for smartphones? The one I am on now doesn't have data so I was wondering if I could just upgrade my phone and pay for a smart phone fee (the $30).

Ok then. The current plan I am on right now is grandfathered in from alltel where each additional line on our contract is $15. Is that $30 fee you speak of an additional charge to the per line fee ($15 in my case) or is it just $30 for that line? Also, can you add this $30 smart phone plan onto an existing contract that isn't meant for smartphones? The one I am on now doesn't have data so I was wondering if I could just upgrade my phone and pay for a smart phone fee (the $30).

It would be 30 dollars for the line utilizing a PDA smart phone. There are no contracts meant for smart phones. Any price plan that envolves the use of a PDA smart phone simply requires the 30 dollar data and email provision on the line using the PDA. Keep in mind that in the case of Connect and Premium plans you would never use a smart phone since you would be paying twice for unlimted data. A customer would simply go the Select plan for unlimited pic and text messages and then the PDA plan and be done. Vcast, Navigator and Music would be ala cart items The Select plan with a 10 or 20 dollar dat feature coupled with email for 5 dollars , the Connect Plan or the Premium plan would apply to your upgrade phone , assuming it is not a PDA but you still wanted email and internet and its data capable ( enhanced multimedia or dumb phone )

So I apologize for asking plan questions again after they were explained a few pages back, but I stopped by a vzw store and picked up the guide brochure. My girlfriend and I are going to be on a shared plan, and I was told the 'select' plans include unlimited text messaging. The base family share under select is $99, which includes 700 minutes and all the texting we need. Add $60 for two data plans and we're at $160/mo + tax and fees. Is this accurate, and is it possible to just add the secondary line to the base single line select plan of $60? Almost everyone we know is on verizon so we need very few minutes.

EDIT: Post above pretty much cleared that up. So I could go with the basic family plan for $70, add two $10 txting plans and the $60 worth of data and come out $10 cheaper than the select. Any downsides to this?

Also, I was told I need to contact their A.O.L dept (assume operator liability) to pull my line off of my parents familyplan and start my own. Anyone have any experience with how much of a PITA this is? They're 1000 miles away and I'm wondering if I should wait until I'm visiting for christmas to make it easy and simply be able to walk into a store together.

Shit, my bad guys.. didn't mean to imply it was mine haha. I ripped it off some other forum. Think it was originally taken by Boy Genius. Looks good though, doesn't it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to picking one up (at the official release time ;))

So I apologize for asking plan questions again after they were explained a few pages back, but I stopped by a vzw store and picked up the guide brochure. My girlfriend and I are going to be on a shared plan, and I was told the 'select' plans include unlimited text messaging. The base family share under select is $99, which includes 700 minutes and all the texting we need. Add $60 for two data plans and we're at $160/mo + tax and fees. Is this accurate, and is it possible to just add the secondary line to the base single line select plan of $60? Almost everyone we know is on verizon so we need very few minutes.

EDIT: Post above pretty much cleared that up. So I could go with the basic family plan for $70, add two $10 txting plans and the $60 worth of data and come out $10 cheaper than the select. Any downsides to this?

Also, I was told I need to contact their A.O.L dept (assume operator liability) to pull my line off of my parents familyplan and start my own. Anyone have any experience with how much of a PITA this is? They're 1000 miles away and I'm wondering if I should wait until I'm visiting for christmas to make it easy and simply be able to walk into a store together.

The basic family share is $ 60 for the primary and $9.99 for the secondary ($69.99 per month total) Add another 30( as you move to the Select Plan) if you want unlimited text on both lines and then yea 60 more if both are to be PDA phones.

You can reduce your cost by going with the basic plan (69.99 ) and then going ala cart with your texting. You may not need unlimited. You could add 5, 10 or 15 dollars to one or both phones for differenct levels of pic and text messageing. $10 per month per line gets you unlimted Verizon to Verizon and 500 out of network text for example.

The point i am trying to make is that since you will have unlimited email (assuming PDA plans), you may find yourself texting less and emailing more.

I hope that helps

Dang I should have read your whole post

Regarding the assumption of liability, It is simple. Your parents need to call CS and state that they give permision to give that line up. Then you have to call , pass credit and then go through a 20 minute disclaimer disertation with them and your done

Awesome, thanks for the info.

So I would assume liability for the line during the call and then have to visit a verizon store to get my new phone? Also, at what point can someone on a verizon family plan break their line off onto a separate plan? For instance, my 2 year phone upgrade is next month, and the actual 2 year day is around December I think, no fees or anything there? Further complicating things is that the gf's phone isn't due to upgrade until february, can she still jump ship onto the new plan and just not upgrade until february or does she have to wait. I don't mean to be dense here, I'm just not sure how all this goes down considering the contracts and upgrade timing.

Back on topic a bit more, I can't wait to get a Droid. I had a samsung double flip and loved the keyboard til it died and have been using a backup razr for 5 months, this is going to be a shocking upgrade.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

So I would assume liability for the line during the call and then have to visit a verizon store to get my new phone? Also, at what point can someone on a verizon family plan break their line off onto a separate plan? For instance, my 2 year phone upgrade is next month, and the actual 2 year day is around December I think, no fees or anything there? Further complicating things is that the gf's phone isn't due to upgrade until february, can she still jump ship onto the new plan and just not upgrade until february or does she have to wait. I don't mean to be dense here, I'm just not sure how all this goes down considering the contracts and upgrade timing.

Back on topic a bit more, I can't wait to get a Droid. I had a samsung double flip and loved the keyboard til it died and have been using a backup razr for 5 months, this is going to be a shocking upgrade.

You would only be able to get a new phone at a good price if you were eligible for an upgrade prior to your assumption of liability. Assuming liability does not entitle you to a new phone.

The answer to the family share "break off " as you call it would be you can do that anytime without penalty or extention of contract but both members of said family share would have to take a stand alone plan. By the way , assumption of liability is one of the few times your requried to extend your contract for a year since technicaly your a new contract.

Regarding your 2 year upgrade question. Changing plans does not negate your upgrade eligibility ( every 12 months for plans $59 dollars or higher, every 20 months for plans lower than $59 or every 10 months for 1 year contracts ) Note that 1 year contracts equate to a considerably higher phone purchase price. Changing plans can and will affect your new every two longevity bonuses in more often that not, a negative way unless your upgrading your phone at the same time.

I hope that helps

man this phone is too attractive, but the fact that it costs that much extra cost each month is just too much to justify picking up this phone for me

the other phone coming to Verizon..Rachael?..looks good also..no keyboard.

Rachel is GSM, so it can't come to Verizon. Sony Ericsson never releases CDMA phones.

Waiting for the ball to drop at midnight haha...if pre-order is available, I might do it.

Question for all you verizon experts. I'm considering the Droid and would have to switch over from Sprint, so I'm not familiar withe Verizons pricing plans. I went on their website and it seems I'd have to get the Select Plan (450mins) + Email/Web for Smartphone. Would this give me 450mins +unlimited text +unlimited data? For $89.99ish? I'm confused if I need a plan that states "Unlimited Data" or if the "Email/Web for Smartphone" added feature does that for me.

Question for all you verizon experts. I'm considering the Droid and would have to switch over from Sprint, so I'm not familiar withe Verizons pricing plans. I went on their website and it seems I'd have to get the Select Plan (450mins) + Email/Web for Smartphone. Would this give me 450mins +unlimited text +unlimited data? For $89.99ish? I'm confused if I need a plan that states "Unlimited Data" or if the "Email/Web for Smartphone" added feature does that for me.

Your with Sprint already ?

Dude why you switching to pay more money for another Android phone ? The HTC-Hero is known as one of the best U.S. Android phones around, and Sprint's new pricing for the Unlimited everything plan is like $70 or so, a totally killer deal, Verizon has nothing even close to a plan that good.

To go to Verizon you will be paying like $130+ for an Unlimited everything plan, plus the new cost of the phone, plus breaking your Spring contract right ? Does not seem worth it for one second, the Moto Droid is not that much better compared to HTC-Hero, plus Sprint will be getting a Snapdragon Android phone in Q1 2010.

Your with Sprint already ?

Dude why you switching to pay more money for another Android phone ? The HTC-Hero is known as one of the best U.S. Android phones around, and Sprint's new pricing for the Unlimited everything plan is like $70 or so, a totally killer deal, Verizon has nothing even close to a plan that good.

To go to Verizon you will be paying like $130+ for an Unlimited everything plan, plus the new cost of the phone, plus breaking your Spring contract right ? Does not seem worth it for one second, the Moto Droid is not that much better compared to HTC-Hero, plus Sprint will be getting a Snapdragon Android phone in Q1 2010.

I'm out of contract with Sprint so I won't be paying any ETFs. Unfortunately the Hero doesn't have a keyboard and I can't really get into typing on a touchscreen. My current phone is pretty much falling apart on me so I'm looking for a phone to pick up in the next week or so.

I'm out of contract with Sprint so I won't be paying any ETFs. Unfortunately the Hero doesn't have a keyboard and I can't really get into typing on a touchscreen. My current phone is pretty much falling apart on me so I'm looking for a phone to pick up in the next week or so.

and good *god* Droid is worlds nicer than the Hero. Verizon plans are definitely very expensive though, so I'm waiting for a GSM version (which they already showed pictures of on Engadget!).

If you go with either Verizon or AT&T, you get a good fuckin' when compared to Sprint or even T-Mobile.

Those are old prices, not showing T-Mobile's latest update, for Unlimited everything plan with contract it is $99, with no contract but paying full retail for phones it is $79 :eek: That's a killer fucking deal, and ATT and Verizon have nothing close to match that. And Sprint is just as good on the full Unlimited package, if not better deal compared to T-Mobile.

What the Fuck are ATT and Verizon smoking , thinking people will pay a $170+ monthly cell phone bill including tax :rolleyes: That's a fucking joke, and even more sad now that T-Mobile redid their pricing. Your a tool if you go with ATT or Verizon for their raping. I think anything over $99 a month for Unlimited minutes, Texting, and Internet is a joke, and total rip off. Thank God for Sprint and T-Mobile

Looks sweet I will have to play with one. But I really am loving my TP2. Almost a nice a screen and looks to have a way better keyboard and speaker phone. To be honest all the devices, even WinMo ones are all very good in one way or another these days.

But the devices coming out next year will blow even this Droid away.

Those are old prices, not showing T-Mobile's latest update, for Unlimited everything plan with contract it is $99, with no contract but paying full retail for phones it is $79 :eek: That's a killer fucking deal, and ATT and Verizon have nothing close to match that. And Sprint is just as good on the full Unlimited package, if not better deal compared to T-Mobile.
[snip]

yeah.. my tmob bill (for G1 service) with unlimited calling (49.99), unlimited data + 400 texts (24.99) and insurance + taxes and other misc fees = $84 out the door / month.. pretty nice deal if you ask me..

Looks sweet I will have to play with one. But I really am loving my TP2. Almost a nice a screen and looks to have a way better keyboard and speaker phone. To be honest all the devices, even WinMo ones are all very good in one way or another these days.

But the devices coming out next year will blow even this Droid away.
Hater. :p

Agree w/ you about the keyboard though. For me though, this phone's got Android 2.0, the tasty OMAP + VR whatever GPU, and that good old fashioned Moto sound quality. The other issue I had w/ the TP2 would have to be the looks. It just screamed, "I'm fatty." :D

Back