DRM In New Coffee Maker Will Lock Out Refill Market

I was almost concerned. Then I remembered I have been using the same coffee maker for years. Razor blades on the other hand...prices are climbing too high, time to find a single blade again. I am a fan of black coffee. I love that coffee flavor. Love milk too but my insides don't.
I'm on single blade now, is serious fun, got my self a cup, soap and brush too.

As for the coffee pot, I'd still be on my $30 coffee maker if my wife didn't get me some fancy $90 one. My last maker lasted me 6 years, probably should of replaced it anyway.

I like to buy Kauai coffee, they make some great blue mountain coffee, little pricy but I don't go for much fancy stuff anymore.

caffeine a hallucinogenic(fake sugars as also hallucinogenics btw) that fools your brain into thinking it's not as tired as it actually is. Making you dependent on it to stay up as you're always running in deficient mode never getting proper rest. Just stop using caffeine and sleep on a schedule and you'll do fine instead of throwing away money everyday.

You most certainly not in the IT business :)

Hehe I've managed to break away from coffee and caffeine and replace it with tea bags in a mug with electrically hottified water straight from the Keurig. No DRM going to stop me from making my tea with old fashioned tea bags. :D

(unless Keurig 2.0 or future will refuse to dispense even hot water)

Have to love the Gillette model...

I would say a french press(they come in a range of sizes) and an electric kettle is the way to go.(grinder of your choice)

I would say a french press(they come in a range of sizes) and an electric kettle is the way to go.(grinder of your choice)

Yeah, seriously. I use K-cups at work as they're provided to us free of charge, but at home, I only use my french press. It's really not that much work and the coffee has real flavor.

Gotta say WTF at the caffeine talk... Caffeine molecules are not imaginary, Semantics... Personally, I am not even affected much by it. I just like coffee... I drink tea as well, though less.

All I drink is tea anyway. Mostly green tea. I don't understand how people live with being on a caffeine high all the time. Can't stand how I feel after drinking coffee.

Yeah, I'm not understanding this I don't drink coffee because of caffeine, so I drink tea. Maybe they also replaced coffee with Red Bull and Monster...

haha, I would rather replace it with some van winkle ... :D

Oh yea, these: http://vfusionplusenergy.com/

They get their caffeine extract from Green Tea leaves.

I'll have to give the diet versions a shot, they claim no artificial sweeteners, just stevia.

Ugghhh, I tried to like Stevia... just couldn't. Still had a bitter aftertaste, just not as much as the typical artificial sweeteners like Splenda, but still nasty.

For me it's sugar or nothing. My ideal tea? A two-quart pitcher of sun-brewed tea with about a cup of sugar in it ;)

Tea has caffeine
Yeah, I'm not understanding this I don't drink coffee because of caffeine, so I drink tea. Maybe they also replaced coffee with Red Bull and Monster...
I don't eat bread because of the carbs. Instead I only eat pasta.

... Am I seriously seeing this crap on Hard forums? I hope you guys are just trolling. I took you people as the kind of individuals that could do math and not make up absolutely terrible analogies that aren't anywhere near the same thing. Not to mention not understanding what I'm saying at all. Either way:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...n-depth/caffeine/art-20049372?footprints=mine

Take a look at this list. Now compare average caffeine content of green tea to almost anything but decaf coffee. You'll (hopefully) see that the average coffee has twice to four times as much caffeine content as the largest amount green tea could have; at the minimum, it's equal to the absolute highest amount green tea has. As an FYI, the tea I drink has 30 mg in it. It's Kombucha by Yogi. Furthermore, not all tea even has caffeine and I regularly drink herbal teas as well. I don't know if some of you seriously have some mistaken idea that "this has caffeine therefore it's equivalent to anything else that has caffeine", but yeah. If you do, eye opener. They're different. I'm just really surprised I'm even having to explain this on here.

Ugghhh, I tried to like Stevia... just couldn't. Still had a bitter aftertaste, just not as much as the typical artificial sweeteners like Splenda, but still nasty.

For me it's sugar or nothing. My ideal tea? A two-quart pitcher of sun-brewed tea with about a cup of sugar in it ;)

I don't do anything with added sugar, juice is about the only sugary thing I'll drink. I prefer non sweetened ice tea, that's how I drink my coffee too.

Also stevia does have that earthy after taste, but I can get used to that.

All I have to say about Coffee Makers and DRM, THIS FAR, NO FURTHER! :D

Actually...

Craftsman tools aren't anything special anymore. They're made by Apex Tool Group and manufactured over seas. The only good thing about them is their lifetime warranty and giving the recent quality of the tools it's needed. Also warranty replacement are refurb's only.

Ever hear the saying "They don't make 'em like they used to?" well that applies 100% fo Craftsman tools these days.

For the record, my garage is filled with over 90% craftsman hand tools.
Actually they don't even have a great warranty. They told me last time I was in they would give me a different tool and no more warranty. Certainly wasn't life time, only had it 15 years.
Skillz and rudy have it spot on. Ever since the Kmart takeover and the creation of Sears Holding Company, profit was the drive rather than quality and customer service. Prior to the change of manufacture to inferior/foreign manufacturers (previously, SK tools did the a fair amount of craftsmans manufacturing), I had no issue with buying CM products for light duty usage. These days, even the dreaded harbor freight Pittsburgh brand has some superior quality tools (Especially when it comes to ratchets). Ever since SHC, CM has pretty much become my cheap "leave in the car" tools, while VIM, Wiha, Channellock, and Snap-On are the tools for the shop.

After going loose leaf, I'll never go back. Getting a bag of loose tea at a place like David's is better than ANY brand you could buy anywhere. It's fucking amazing.
Even the bulk loose leaf (and by bulk, I mean the stuff you can get for a decent price on a website such as amazon, not the Lipton stuff at Meijer/Walmart/etc.) is superior to the bagged stuff, IMHO. Tea bags are mostly dust from sorting and the lowest grade of leaf. Brewed properly in a glass or ceramic tea pot, a couple of good cups of English or Irish breakfast tea is hard to beat for a good way to start the morning, IMHO.

caffeine a hallucinogenic(fake sugars as also hallucinogenics btw) that fools your brain into thinking it's not as tired as it actually is. Making you dependent on it to stay up as you're always running in deficient mode never getting proper rest. Just stop using caffeine and sleep on a schedule and you'll do fine instead of throwing away money everyday.
You're misusing the term hallucinogenic, even under broad definition/interpretation of the word. Caffeine overdose CAN result in hallucinations, but that's not it's main action and is more related to the fact that caffeine overdose MAY result in a "near death experience". Cyanide, and asphyxiation can also cause hallucinations, but I would hardly classify either as a hallucinogen. Pharmacologically, the proper terminology would be that caffeine is a psychoactive substance.

... Am I seriously seeing this crap on Hard forums? I hope you guys are just trolling. I took you people as the kind of individuals that could do math and not make up absolutely terrible analogies that aren't anywhere near the same thing. Not to mention not understanding what I'm saying at all. Either way:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...n-depth/caffeine/art-20049372?footprints=mine

Take a look at this list. Now compare average caffeine content of green tea to almost anything but decaf coffee. You'll (hopefully) see that the average coffee has twice to four times as much caffeine content as the largest amount green tea could have; at the minimum, it's equal to the absolute highest amount green tea has. As an FYI, the tea I drink has 30 mg in it. It's Kombucha by Yogi. Furthermore, not all tea even has caffeine and I regularly drink herbal teas as well. I don't know if some of you seriously have some mistaken idea that "this has caffeine therefore it's equivalent to anything else that has caffeine", but yeah. If you do, eye opener. They're different. I'm just really surprised I'm even having to explain this on here.
Yes, tea has less caffeine per fluid ounce of final product. Conversely though, tea drinkers tend to drink more tea by volume on average than coffee drinkers drink coffee (in general, this is not a be all end all statement as there are both minimum and maximum extremes with both coffee and tea drinkers). The adverse affects of caffeine are overplayed though, IMHO, although like many things, overuse rather than moderation is when problems start to arise.

Sometimes I wonder if people who whine about snobbery and defend Keurig have ever actually had good coffee. Single serve cup or pod coffee is ok if you're desperate.

The gf was a professional barista for 3 odd years, even did those stupid espresso foam competitions. She really likes a few of the k cups, and the refillable cup is grest too. Where the 100$ keurig shines, is that i can offer my guests like 20 bajillion coffee flavors.

Nespresso is fucking fantastic, though.

Yeah, seriously. I use K-cups at work as they're provided to us free of charge, but at home, I only use my french press. It's really not that much work and the coffee has real flavor.

Gotta say WTF at the caffeine talk... Caffeine molecules are not imaginary, Semantics... Personally, I am not even affected much by it. I just like coffee... I drink tea as well, though less.

I tried a french press once and it just tasted gross. I know a lot of people like them, but I'm not sure I'd ever drink coffee to enjoy the flavor.

Anyhow, there was some study I remember reading like maybe a year or two ago that observed that people who drink a lot of stuff with caffeine in it build up a tolerance for it and then they start needing it not to be more alert than usual, but to just restore a baseline level of alertness that they'd have if they hadn't gotten addicted.

As someone who just attempted to go from drinking like 5-6 cups a day to 1 cup, I think I can say that pretty much described my situation which is why I wanted to cut back. There just wasn't a point in drinking a lot of it since it wasn't ending up being different from just not drinking any of it.

Yes, tea has less caffeine per fluid ounce of final product. Conversely though, tea drinkers tend to drink more tea by volume on average than coffee drinkers drink coffee (in general, this is not a be all end all statement as there are both minimum and maximum extremes with both coffee and tea drinkers). The adverse affects of caffeine are overplayed though, IMHO, although like many things, overuse rather than moderation is when problems start to arise.

I don't see any evidence of the bolded (I personally drink 2-3 cups maximum). Either way, on average you would have to drink three cups of tea per one cup of coffee (generally more) to match caffeine content. Also caffeine in tea is given as "per bag" (generally). That means you won't even necessarily take in all of it. On the other hand. I think for coffee it's "per cup" (correct me if I'm wrong) so suppose you drank any more or less than what is considered a cup (not difficult). You've just taken in more caffeine, too (probably depends on the way it's brewed as well).

So say a person drinks 2 cups of coffee to "get him through the day". I would have to drink six to match caffeine content over the course of the day. Not to mention I never get any large instantaneous intakes of caffeine like he would (unless I chug multiple cups at the same time, which would be pretty silly). I would get it in small doses and it would wear out probably before I even drank the next cup. That was also my entire point. I dislike the feeling after those large caffeine intakes. However, very small ones throughout the day are actually fairly relaxing and do re-energize me a bit, but not to the point where I feel unhealthy and like crap after I get off the buzz (a la coffee).

I tried a french press once and it just tasted gross. I know a lot of people like them, but I'm not sure I'd ever drink coffee to enjoy the flavor.

Anyhow, there was some study I remember reading like maybe a year or two ago that observed that people who drink a lot of stuff with caffeine in it build up a tolerance for it and then they start needing it not to be more alert than usual, but to just restore a baseline level of alertness that they'd have if they hadn't gotten addicted.

As someone who just attempted to go from drinking like 5-6 cups a day to 1 cup, I think I can say that pretty much described my situation which is why I wanted to cut back. There just wasn't a point in drinking a lot of it since it wasn't ending up being different from just not drinking any of it.

It's just part of my daily routine now, coffee doesn't effect me if I drink it or not, sleep is my primary factor in overall function now.

I agree with you, never saw a French press bring that awesome either.

Skillz and rudy have it spot on. Ever since the Kmart takeover and the creation of Sears Holding Company, profit was the drive rather than quality and customer service. Prior to the change of manufacture to inferior/foreign manufacturers (previously, SK tools did the a fair amount of craftsmans manufacturing), I had no issue with buying CM products for light duty usage. These days, even the dreaded harbor freight Pittsburgh brand has some superior quality tools (Especially when it comes to ratchets). Ever since SHC, CM has pretty much become my cheap "leave in the car" tools, while VIM, Wiha, Channellock, and Snap-On are the tools for the shop.

Even the bulk loose leaf (and by bulk, I mean the stuff you can get for a decent price on a website such as amazon, not the Lipton stuff at Meijer/Walmart/etc.) is superior to the bagged stuff, IMHO. Tea bags are mostly dust from sorting and the lowest grade of leaf. Brewed properly in a glass or ceramic tea pot, a couple of good cups of English or Irish breakfast tea is hard to beat for a good way to start the morning, IMHO.

You're misusing the term hallucinogenic, even under broad definition/interpretation of the word. Caffeine overdose CAN result in hallucinations, but that's not it's main action and is more related to the fact that caffeine overdose MAY result in a "near death experience". Cyanide, and asphyxiation can also cause hallucinations, but I would hardly classify either as a hallucinogen. Pharmacologically, the proper terminology would be that caffeine is a psychoactive substance.

Good god, craftsman tools... I'd rather get a ryobi set for cheaper to use as my backup set. My dad, who is still really big into CM keeps asking for them for gifts, which I wish he would just ask for a cheaper set, especially one that didn't require me going to Sears.

I still use a french press ;)
Same here, love my french press. When I've got time and I want a really rich cup of coffee, it's the best way to go.

When I'm rushed and want to fill up my travel mug on the way out the door on my way to work, though... Keurig does do the trick.

I use soak my tea bags in Monster because I gave up coffee.

Back