Drivers Cause GTX 590 To Burn (On Video)?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at SweClockers had a GeForce GTX 590 go up in smoke on video and they seem to think the supplied 267.52 drivers that are shipping with the new cards are to blame.

Looks like 196.75 again. I lost a 9600GT during that. Luckily I was about to buy a new card at that point but it prompted me to go ATI.

You know, say what you will about AMD's crappy drivers....but :p

lol, reminds me of a tech I knew back in the day who used to repair power supplies. If one came in for repair with say a blown 5 amp fuse, he'd replace it with a 20 amp and fire it up. Whichever component blew off the pcb is the one he'd replace...

Actually on that note I've never had driver problems with ATi or nVidia, the only problem I ever had was the "nvlddmkm has stopped responding" thing which was fixed (for me at least) by removing a KB update.

That being said I am tired of nVidia seeming like they are just halfassing it on hardware and not pricing aggressively so I would love to see ATi/AMD beat the snot out of them for a change and wipe that smirk off Jen-Hsun Huang's face. ;)

Wow, I know nvidia wants us to believe this is the hottest card out but Damn! :D

Somebody really has to get to the bottom of this asap!

Is this really a driver issue or do these need to be recalled?

I am starting to think they should just not bother developing these specialty cards.

LOL I was only kidding when i nicknamed this card the BYHD (Burn Your House Down) Edition. I guess putting over 600W through a single graphics card is a bad idea after all. Who would have thought?

I just don't understand how a major company can ship thousands upon thousands of units and have such a glaring and destructive fundamental flaw.. blows me away

One more series card, nVidia will be able to have a 2v2 NBA Jam session and the GTX590 will be "heating up!"

I just don't understand how a major company can ship thousands upon thousands of units and have such a glaring and destructive fundamental flaw.. blows me away

If you'd ended with "... it really burns me up" then you'd be gettin' somewhere... :D

266.58 wont run with my 460GTX....never did, 260.99 work flawlessly, nothing burning up but when gaming it would crash the driver and land me at the desktop with the "nvxxxxxxx driver has recovered" (Windows 7 x64).....switched back to 260.99 and everything is flawless

been a while now since they released a new WHQL driver......i keep waiting but 260.99 is working great for now

I'm wondering what the OC was when these cards went up in smoke. If it was stock or a slight OC, well....

Does this card have protection for what SC2, GTA4 and many other games do - when the framerate in menus and loadscreens goes into the thousands? It's killed Nvidia cards, while AMD ATI ones have had safeguards against burning out on that from the start.

Yeah Amd's drivers must suck.. lol

and we thought the 480 was a hot card lol :)

Am I the only one who noticed that the system seems to be powered off/on when the smoke appears ?
Just look at the CPU and Video fans.
How can this spark be caused by a faulty driver ?

Back