Driver Not Compatible With This Version of Windows

Hello! Just came home with the Asus DUAL 2080. You can see our local pricing and so the reason why I ended up with this one in my post here: https://hardforum.com/threads/poll-...80ti-2080-2070.1966862/page-7#post-1043869504

Anyways, it is not running properly at the moment.... It is showing up as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and strangely enough I am unable to get the GeForce driver to install. That surprised me, because I came from GTX 980 SLI and I have always kept up with NVIDIA drivers. In fact, to prep for the expected purchase, last night I installed 416.16 without a hitch.

Tonight, though, after I got the old cards out and the new card in, and then being somewhat surprised that the driver did not recognise the new card... I tried running the driver installer package again, the same one I downloaded and ran last night, and now got the failure message that "this NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows".

I will admit that my Windows 10 installation has been stuck on 1607, because it was upgraded from Win7 -> Win8 -> Win8.1 -> Win10 and then also cloned from HDD to SSD. So, it is in a strange place that it is using UEFI BIOS but is still on MBR. Hence all new Windows 10 updates fail due to "the disk layout for UEFI firmware isn't supported".

I am increasingly resigned to format my C drive properly in GPT, to get my Windows up to the latest version. I am still wondering, though, since I cannot be the only one with a 2080 and yet un-updated Win10 (and I have heard of many people who do not update on purpose)... is it really simply a Windows version issue, or perhaps something is wrong with the card? After all, the 980 took the driver fine....

----- *edit* loaded from USB disk, format, convert to GPT and then install Windows 10 to 1803 -----

GeForce Driver 411.70 already loaded by Windows after boot, and then 416.16 installed okay and 2080 recognised. So, old Win10 + GTX 980 + 4xx driver = okay, but RTX 2080 NEEDS up-to-date Win10. Hmph.

Yes I have read that Win10 only supports Ray Tracing from now on, but y'know... I have no plan on playing those just yet; I was going to start Fallout 4 GOTY, but now my C Drive has been obliterated, no chance of that tonight :-(

Last edited:
I got that error, but I just did a DDU safe mode uninstall and then tried latest Nvidia driver and it worked.

the newest nv driver requires the newest windows update, otherwise you dont get the new rtx stuff. make sure to move or backup your files, just in case, like you always should before doing a feature update.
if you dont want to do that then update to the spring update and the last nv driver 411.70. you need to get up to at least 1803.
and if you dont want to do that, youre sol.

Been a while, but pretty sure I just made a backup of my kids' boot drive, then used a Microsoft utility to change the drive from MBR to GPT. There was no re-install.

Then I was able to upgrade Windows.

Been a while, but pretty sure I just made a backup of my kids' boot drive, then used a Microsoft utility to change the drive from MBR to GPT. There was no re-install.

Then I was able to upgrade Windows.
Was it MBR2GPT?

Here is the kicker for me....

#1 MBR2GPT converts drive from MBR to GPT without needing to format, and can do so on boot drive and even in full Win10 environment. Perfect!

#2 The tool only comes with and works on Win10 "Anniversary Update" aka Version 1703 or later!

#3 For me to upgrade my Windows 10 to Version 1703, I need to convert from MBR to GPT!

#4 To have access to and run the tool that converts from MBR to GPT, I need to upgrade my Win10 to 1703!

Then it just loops from #3 to #4.

I "pilfered" the EXE from my work computer and brought it home, to try. That did not work. I guess the proper usage is for me to take out my boot disk and hook it up to another computer... but anyways I opted to format.

The time spent doing the reinstall was alright... but my ISP is probably a bit miffed at me for sucking down over 150GB in the span of a few hours. That is just Fallout 4 GOTY + Texture Pack + mods, and Rainbow Six Siege + Texture Pack! I also intend to replay Ghost Recon: Wildlands with the new 2080, but I think I will wait for my billing cycle to flip over before reinstall it.

I don't remember the tool honestly, but I think I ran it from a boot environment that I had on USB stick.

Back