dressing up nvme drives

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I have spent a tidy sum getting my rig up to speed lately. But, I find that the sticker on my Barracuda nvme drive is spoiling the show.

Now I realise that I can remove the sticker but, has anyone here thought to dress it up with a cool head spreader or something?

If so please add a pic to show how you did it.

Cheers!

Attachments

• pcpic.jpg
    pcpic.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 0
They certainly sell M.2 drive heatsinks, which might accomplish your goal. Something like this is available in different colors!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The controllers on the m.2 NVMe drives get pretty hot, was kind of shocked when I pointed an IR thermometer at one with no heatsink, was hitting like 80C working it with CrystalDiskMark. It was like wow, definitely need heat sinks on these.

I removed the stickers and put heatsinks on mine with thermal adhesive tape, it's very thin so better than a pad. I taped a taller aluminum one on my drive above the video card. The one below it doesn't have clearance so I taped a low profile copper one on it. Took about 20C off peak temperatures.

My motherboard did come with an m.2 heatsink, but it uses a thick pad and the mount doesn't put much pressure on it. I tried it and helped a bit, but a proper finned sink mounted with thermal tape works a lot better.

Last edited:
As sinisterdei suggested you could try using decorative heatsinks (ikr, that is what they should be called).
They come in various colors but look carefully that they are not Made in China products or you would end up losing your drive to heat-degradation if these heatsinks turn out to be useless.

Back