dreamcast almost lived on?

They should have done it, Sega would have sold more games here and if they had just called the xbox dreamcast in japan it would have done way better over there.

Still got my Dreamcast. I think Sonic Adventure was the best 3D Sonic. I felt like I was in an actual world. I didn't really get a chance to play Shenmue. I'll have to dig it out of my moving boxes and try to play it again. I need to replace my memory battery in my system though. It's dead.

I was always kinda peeved because I ordered a year subscription and like after six months it just kinda didn't show up anymore. I didn't get a notification or anything. That magazine got me so hyped about so many games that never materialized. Sega had so many big ideas. seriously makes me sad.

Don't forget, the DC was also easy as hell to play pirated games. Anyone remember the BootDisk? I had linux running on my DC, playing MP3s and watching VCDs. I had more fun making it do things that it wasn't supposed to do.

Don't forget, the DC was also easy as hell to play pirated games. Anyone remember the BootDisk? I had linux running on my DC, playing MP3s and watching VCDs. I had more fun making it do things that it wasn't supposed to do.

Yes. I have about 50 DC games now, ~40 of them are on CDROMs. :D

Yeah, that system was way ahead of its time. Plus the splash screen was simple yet beautiful. The system was sleek, great design. The controllers were another thing, far inferior to the Playstation controller especially for games like Jet Set Radio. Really broke the pirating movement on consoles as well if I remember right. They had GDRs that could be burned onto regular cd-rs.Most of that happened after the system was dying/dead anyway so I never really felt bad about it.

Final Fantasy X, GTA: San Andreas, and Gran Turismo do.

All of those were mid life games. The Bouncer was Square's first PS2 game (absolutely horrible, MAYBE 1 hour of gameplay in the entire thing), San Andreas was the third installment of the 3D GTA series and was released LONG after the DC died, and GT was constantly promised but constantly delayed. I'm not saying your point is wrong, just your examples aren't very good.

The Dreamcast failed because of the Sega CD, Sega VR, Sega Neptune, Sega Nomad, Sega 32X, Sega Genesis v2 + v3, Sega CD v.2, Sega Visions, Sega NET, and finally the Sega Saturns horrible performance compared to the Playstation.

Piss poor R&D and Bernie Stolar brought the company to it's knees.

American CEO's of SEGA

Bruce Lowry: President SOA (1986 – 1988)
Michael Katz: President SOA (1989–1991)
Tom Kalinske: President SOA (1991–1996)
Bernie Stolar: Fired from Sony, President SOA (1996 – 1999)
Peter Moore: President SOA (1999–2003)
Simon Jeffery: President SOA (2003–2009)

Tom Kalinske started screwing up big time esspecially because the 32X was an American venture. It still could have been turned around but bringing Bernie Stolar on board and the Saturn buisness model was what sealed the deal.

Even though Peter Moore and the guys in Japan turned things around with the Dreamcast, SEGA's fate was already sealed.

Epic necrothread is epic, but I'll still add that you are correct. Sega had such a huge backlog of epic fails starting from SegaCD and up already that what little fanbase Dreamcasts managed to build was not enough for Sega to bother continuing on console business.

Now that I mentioned SegaCD I think I should watch AVGN SegaCD and 32x episodes, AGAIN... :p

I loved playing Shadow Man on Dreamcast, easily one of the creepiest games of its time.

I just bought a power chord and AV cables for my dreamcast. Time for some Shenmue, Sonic, and Power Stone \m/

Dreamcast was great. I remember Shenmue, Soul caliber 2, Power Stone and Phantasy Star Online. I remember getting the broadband adapter to work with Phantasy Star Online so I could play with friends. Dreamcast looked pretty good with the vga box too.

Yeah, that system was way ahead of its time. Plus the splash screen was simple yet beautiful. The system was sleek, great design. The controllers were another thing, far inferior to the Playstation controller especially for games like Jet Set Radio. Really broke the pirating movement on consoles as well if I remember right. They had GDRs that could be burned onto regular cd-rs.Most of that happened after the system was dying/dead anyway so I never really felt bad about it.

Well it took time, but it was extremely easy to do.

Basically you used the GD-ROM on the Dreamcast to read the game disc, then connected the DC to a computer via the serial port and made an exact duplicate of the game disc. Burn it to a CD-ROM since the DC can read CD-ROMs and it would play the game just fine. Once Sega realized this mistake, they tried to prevent it.. hence why some games require a boot disc and so do not.

The release of the BBA made copying the games a LOT faster, since the serial port took forever. GD-ROMs were also a little larger than CD-ROMs, so some of the games copied lost content due to it not fitting on the CD-ROM.

I personally was a huge fan of the Shining Force (SF) series on the Genesis. Sadly, I was a young kid when the DC existed and I never had the money to buy a DC so I've never gotten the chance to play through SF3. That's one of my regrets to this day. I also am fearful that if I tried playing it today with a DC emulator or buying a DC + SF3 off eBay, I'd be terribly disappointed only because the gameplay and graphical standards of games have improved/increased so much since then.

I personally was a huge fan of the Shining Force (SF) series on the Genesis. Sadly, I was a young kid when the DC existed and I never had the money to buy a DC so I've never gotten the chance to play through SF3. That's one of my regrets to this day. I also am fearful that if I tried playing it today with a DC emulator or buying a DC + SF3 off eBay, I'd be terribly disappointed only because the gameplay and graphical standards of games have improved/increased so much since then.

Classics never disappoint.

I, to this day, still enjoy playing the old classics of my childhood. Games such as Starfox 64, Mario 64, Pokemon Red/Blue, Zelda: OOT, etc...

I still have a DC as well that I setup occasionally to play old games on as well. Got lots of love for Crazy Taxi.

Speaking of Taxi games, my favorite as a kid was Quarantine! A taxi driver in a post-apocalyptic world, picking up passengers and completing missions in a fully upgradable car with mini-guns and chainsaw bumper bars :p

quaran1.gif

It's actually out on 3DO now :)

If the dreamcast had lived on, sega probably wouldn't be around today...

What? SEGA was fine. Unlike other games consoles makers SEGA had a ton of original IP they could keep making games on. Plus they are a major arcade hardware maker. Arcades are still insanely popular in Asia and virtually all arcades are made on hardware that is either a buffed up version of a SEGA console or SEGA propriertary, stock Sony Console, or some custom PCB. SEGA dominates the arcade market hard enough there's no way you're getting them out of that.

What's funny is while the Dreamcast got eaten by the PS2 on the console side it's arcade brother (Naomi) crushed the PS2's (system 256) something scary.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not buying a Dreamcast at launch. What was I thinking.

I was too, I wouldnt feel too bad, I had SF III for the Saturn and I never even finished it to be honest, it wasnt that great. I think you have the wrong console as well there...maybe?

I was too, I wouldnt feel too bad, I had SF III for the Saturn and I never even finished it to be honest, it wasnt that great. I think you have the wrong console as well there...maybe?

You mean DC? SF III was pretty weak. Third Strike was a massive improvement from what I remember. Lots of fixing and more characters. I imported SFIII and 2nd impact for DC when it first came out was very disappointed.

FYI OP DC is very much alive at my house.

You mean DC? SF III was pretty weak. Third Strike was a massive improvement from what I remember. Lots of fixing and more characters. I imported SFIII and 2nd impact for DC when it first came out was very disappointed.

FYI OP DC is very much alive at my house.

So confused, I just double checked and Shining Force 3 was on the Saturn, are we talking about the same thing?

Now I'm confused because he said SFIII and a DC emulator. Well no then I disagree SFIII was awesome also for any one who cares. You can play SFIII part 2 and 3 in english now

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/

urgggg!!! Just knowing I can hook a controller up to my tv and play this is pretty tempting. The length of the game is off putting though. Im putting this on my list but I dont know if I'll ever get to play it. Its weird getting older, if you really wanted to you can make the time but the guilt from spending 100 hours playing through a 3 part series would be overwhelming....

Soul Calibur is still my favorite fighing game of all time. Graphics were amazing for it's time - and are still good now!

I've tried a couple of the newer SC games, they just don't have the same feel.

Soul Calibur is still my favorite fighing game of all time. Graphics were amazing for it's time - and are still good now!

I loaded up Soul Caliber V last night, the last one I'd played was II. I was like

markey_mark_wtf.gif

and then I turned off the xbox and left the room.

SC3 >>> Soul caliber. What "feel" are you talking about? Having less stuff to do, less characters, worse looks and a worse fighting system? Then isn't soul blade the best one ever? :p

Sadly my stuff got stolen, and had yet to beat Record of Lodoss War. :(

Well as you technically still own it (it's still yours, just someone else is illegally holding onto the physical copy), getting a "backup" would be morally just.

I keep this vmu at my desk as a reminder that gaming was once actually fun.
VMUs were the best shitty idea ever.

2r25i7b.jpg

I liked RE2 on my PS1, but the PAL DC 50@60Hz 480p version is a better way to retro game :) Then you have Nemseis and RECV or Biohazrd (J) with added cut scenes and english. I'm still rocking that system and finishing my way through Grandia 2.Sega GT with a modded Supra, doing the drag races tweaking all six gears and final gear, getting times down (it's so exciting actually if your a gear head car lover) and top speed rings is also alot of retro fun. Crazi Taxi 2 (good balance of characters + I like that Offspring soundtrack). Love my atari 2600, 5600, 7200, MSX and collecovision discs. SMS/Genesis discs. That's not even everything, but it provides tons of perfect retro gaming for the price. You can find dreamcasts for like 20 dollars I've seen.

I bought it initially for SCalibur 1 and GT2 bleem! which was upscaled with higher PS1 res and the DC's AA helped that games glitchy graphics. GT2 had the best car selection, and still is amazing. But GT3 GT5 and F3 F4 are definetly better now days. For it's time it was doing some amazing things. People should check it out, and that VGA Box was soooo ahead of it's competitors, you can run it on a PC monitor or HD set. Nice.

SC3 >>> Soul caliber. What "feel" are you talking about? Having less stuff to do, less characters, worse looks and a worse fighting system? Then isn't soul blade the best one ever? :p

So you're saying just because SC3 has a few more characters and some better graphics (it damn well should being 6 years newer) it's automatically better??? I disagree. Played them both, I'll stick with SC1. SC3 is all yours.

Really though, there's nothing to argue here, it's just personal preference I guess.

Back