Dragon Age Origins discussion...

Anyone take the option to kill Flemeth when you could? I got beat down pretty hard. I decided to wait for another playthrough to deal with her.

Anyone take the option to kill Flemeth when you could? I got beat down pretty hard. I decided to wait for another playthrough to deal with her.

Took her down on the first try, Had Wynne, Alastair and Leiliana, had her doing Ranged and I was chugging the crap out of health pots, what made her go down I think was my poison blades. Had poison at level 3 at this point.

Last edited:
Flemmeth was easy for me. All it took was my high paralyze proc daggers, high stun proc poison, momentum talent and a swift salve pot. Usually I have Morrigan with me doing CC but she had to sit out and I subbed Ogren in which I believe spent most of the battle on his ass. Either way dragons die quickly when they're paralyzed, it's fun.

Cone of Cold works well too, and with it's short cooldown you can keep popping it over and over. ;)

I've done 2 complete playthroughs now, and am debating a 3rd as I am still unemployed and this game has helped a lot to take my mind off things. Things like all the friends I used to have at my job not talking to me anymore. :(

Found some stuff on the 2nd playthrough I didn't find the first time. Still wondering what I've missed, though I did get the achievement finally for "Sidetracked" on my 2nd run. :D

Shale is by far one of the best characters though. Best tank out of everyone. With him as our tank, Wynne as our healer/mage Leliana set up as a ranged rogue, and me as a melee rogue. Love the conversation Shale has with Leliana about shoes.

Thanks for the hints everyone. I haven't put in ANY points into poison making for the rogues. Am I missing out on a lot? What loot does Flemeth drop? If I came back to the hut with Morrigan, will Flemeth still be there?

My main character is a mage, but I haven't put points past the initial frost spell. I guess cone of cold is worth putting in 2 more points for. My only character with cone of cold is morrigan, who I obviously didn't have with me.

Wow... i think I need to explore the spell trees a little more. I don't even have forcefield. Are there any other must have spells?

The whole spirit tree, pretty much.

The exploding plague line is all good and ends in Animate Dead, which gives you a zombie pet that can tank a bit. It can also run around by itself (you control it) and open doors and pull for you. If you get those four spells you end up with the pet, two exploding DoTs (like Unstable Affliction from WoW) and a mana regen that feeds on corpses.

The Crippling Prison line (includes the force field and the ae stun) is versatile and powerful. One tactic I use now...'If enemy has high armor, enable mode 'telekinetic weapons'.

The sustainable spell I'm forgetting the name of, but it makes your spells more powerful and cost more, is needed for several powerful combos. Like that + animate dead gives a stronger undead.

So i'm in the middle of a playthrough right now, and I will admit I got fed up and hacked the difficulty some, but holy shit. playing morrigan is sooo much more fricking fun than a dual wield warrior. I might play through twice now... heh *wants arcane warrior*

The whole spirit tree, pretty much.

The exploding plague line is all good and ends in Animate Dead, which gives you a zombie pet that can tank a bit. It can also run around by itself (you control it) and open doors and pull for you. If you get those four spells you end up with the pet, two exploding DoTs (like Unstable Affliction from WoW) and a mana regen that feeds on corpses.

The Crippling Prison line (includes the force field and the ae stun) is versatile and powerful. One tactic I use now...'If enemy has high armor, enable mode 'telekinetic weapons'.

The sustainable spell I'm forgetting the name of, but it makes your spells more powerful and cost more, is needed for several powerful combos. Like that + animate dead gives a stronger undead.

My main character has the entire exploding plague line, but I have rarely ever used the animate dead. Didn't have a great first experience with it I guess. Using it to pull for me is a great idea.

I also have the crippling prison on morrigan and up to FF on my main.

I'll have to look into that sustainable spell that you speak of that makes animate dead stronger. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the hints everyone. I haven't put in ANY points into poison making for the rogues. Am I missing out on a lot? What loot does Flemeth drop? If I came back to the hut with Morrigan, will Flemeth still be there?

My main character is a mage, but I haven't put points past the initial frost spell. I guess cone of cold is worth putting in 2 more points for. My only character with cone of cold is morrigan, who I obviously didn't have with me.

Yes, you're missing out on a lot with poisons if you're not playing the rogue yourself. If you're letting the AI play it then it probably won't use poison unless told to. Only the higher end poisons are worth it since extra damage or a change to slow the target is rather blah.

For me Flemeth dropped upgraded robes for Morrigan (same model/texture, better stats) and some other junk. And no, Flemeth doesn't appear at her hut with Morrigan in your party. Sucked for me since she's usually my secondary DPS with CC in the party.

Oh and I just finished my first play-through and achieved sidetracked as well, lol. My current party is Alistair as MT (full dragonbone Warden's Commander armor), me as primary DPS DW dagger rogue, Morrigan as ranged DPS/CC, and Wynne as Spirit/Arcane Warrior healer in full superior dragonscale medium armor.

I think my favorite character's so far in this game are Alistar and then Wade and Herren in Wade's shop in Denerim. Wade and Herren have the most ridiculous relationship it's hilarious.

anyone do the juggernaut armor quest where you gotta do like 4 rev encounters, I did two and I'm running out of pots to chug man.

Yes, you're missing out on a lot with poisons if you're not playing the rogue yourself. If you're letting the AI play it then it probably won't use poison unless told to. Only the higher end poisons are worth it since extra damage or a change to slow the target is rather blah.]

For me Flemeth dropped upgraded robes for Morrigan (same model/texture, better stats) and some other junk. And no, Flemeth doesn't appear at her hut with Morrigan in your party. Sucked for me since she's usually my secondary DPS with CC in the party.

That was my first group through. Two mages champed it with CC, prison, healing, etc. Rarely ever used health poltices. Alistar and my dwarf warrior using dual weapons. I never had too many probs. The Archdemon was very easy, I was a little disappointed tbh.

anyone do the juggernaut armor quest where you gotta do like 4 rev encounters, I did two and I'm running out of pots to chug man.

I would try it with Morrigan (with the ability to heal)/Wynne. Set their tactics to heal if it get they get below 75% also use CC, if you can.

Yeah, it's a really good armor set until you realize that you can just sell the Warden Commander's armor to the vendor at Soldier's Peak and come back after a conversation or two with him and buy it all back completely upgraded to dragonbone quality.

As for the Revenants, some have said that they are easy-mode when attacked at range. Not too positive on those claims but I went in at around 15 or so and trucked them with my team. It's all about CC. Stuff like paralyze or sleep or whatever other nonsense is in the entropy tree of spells, those help a lot.

Oh and if no one has said it yet... setup a tactic for those who matter: WHEN health = <50% THEN use lowest health poultice

Just beat the game as a male human noble warrior. Very fun.

Going through it again as a male city elf rogue.

Yeah, it's a really good armor set until you realize that you can just sell the Warden Commander's armor to the vendor at Soldier's Peak and come back after a conversation or two with him and buy it all back completely upgraded to dragonbone quality.

As for the Revenants, some have said that they are easy-mode when attacked at range. Not too positive on those claims but I went in at around 15 or so and trucked them with my team. It's all about CC. Stuff like paralyze or sleep or whatever other nonsense is in the entropy tree of spells, those help a lot.

Oh and if no one has said it yet... setup a tactic for those who matter: WHEN health = <50% THEN use lowest health poultice

paralyze doesn't work on it, problem is the other stuff thats attacking that probably needs to be killed off first. CC works well as long as I aim it correctly, however i notice after a couple of those, the stupid rev would come after my mage even with Alistair using threaten. the mages goes down in a second against that thing. Did I get the arcane warrior, wondering if I should use it with my main or Wynne, is it any good?

Allistair, Sten, Wynne, and main Mage. I did all of them, but it was especially problematic because both mages had ice based staffs that they were all immune to.

Waking Nightmare + Sleep + Horror killed off most of the adds, then it was just a matter of keeping Sten and Allistair alive while they pounded on the Rev. One of the fights got down to Sten taking berserked two handed swings and chugging pots while everyone else was dead.

I've been playing for 22 hours now, according to the stats, and not once have I experienced a hell-yeah moment.

In Risen I was experieincing hell-yeah moments every five mintues. In Fallout 3 the whole game was a hell-yeah moment. Here, there are no such moments.

Did anybody here listen the PC Gamer podcast with Desslock? His opinion was that the beginning (at Ostegar) was the weakest part of the game. Well, I've done that section, obviously, but I've also done The Circle of Magi quest, which, in my opinion, was even weaker. The Fade is easily the blandest area I've ever visited in an RPG. My origin story, as a mage, took me into The Fade, and I immediately hated it - the landscape is monolithic, not to mention that the screen goes all blurry, making it difficult to see. It almost made me sick - literally.

So what happens right away in The Circle of Magi quest? - yeah, they send me back into the Fade. This time I'm in there for a good three hours, wandering around corridors that all look exactly alike, trying to find my way through, and alternately having to transform myself into a mouse, a guy who suddenly bursts into flames, an evil spirit demon, and a giant stone man. Wow. How exciting. This whole sequence was a massive anti-hell-yeah moment and made me want to puke.

But here's the funny thing:

Before I took on The Circle of Magi quest, I was at Redcliff. This kid was possessed by a demon, and I agreed that I would go to the mages and seek help (hence The Circle of Magi quest). This meant I had to endure 3 hours in The Fade. Finally, when I was finished with all that nonsense, I returned to Redcliff only to discover that in order to save the boy somebody would have to enter The Fade again.

Screw that.

The reason I chose to slit the boy's throat instead was simply because I didn't want to have to go in there again. That's great role-playing, boy! Let's force people to endure torture! Honestly, I would've rather slit my own throat than have experienced that nonsense again. Just kill the stupid kid and let's get on with it.

Anyhow, I'm going to solidier on in the hope that this thing gets better. I'm at 14% completion. (And by the way, it shocks me that a person with a job and a family could have finished this game by now? I'm seeing that most people are finishing the game already. How could that be?)

Are you just epic flame or what, bro?

Please stop playing the game. If you don't enjoy it, there is no reason to keep playing it.

Before reading the above WabeWalker post I'm going to make the following assumption:
He's complaining about some aspect of the game that didn't live up to his expectations but either Risen or Oblivion did it so much better.

How close am I?

Don't tell me to stop playing the game, and don't tell me to stop posting my thoughts about it... bro.

Thank you.

Before reading the above WabeWalker post I'm going to make the following assumption:
He's complaining about some aspect of the game that didn't live up to his expectations but either Risen or Oblivion did it so much better.

How close am I?

Sub in Fallout 3 for Oblivion and you nailed it.

How close am I?

Yeah, I suppose you could 'make assumptions' about what I wrote, and then ask somebody else to interpret the post for you.

Alternatively, you could actually read it yourself.

he did read it, like the first 20 times you posted it. I would consider it spamming at this point almost.

he did read it, like the first 20 times you posted it. I would consider it spamming at this point almost.

What are you talking about?

The post that I just wrote was based on my experiences from last night - how could I previously have written about something that I hadn't experienced yet?

My last post was about The Circle of Magi Quest, AND about Redcliff, which I just completed last night. I was commenting on how ridiculous and tedious it was that I was having to enter The Fade for both quests, especially after having endured The Fade in my origin story.

Sheesh, talk about having blinders on. Some people only see what they want to see. It's not my fault that you can't read properly. Ah well, it's just a game, no need to get your curls in an uproar over this. Maybe you ought to get back to work or something?

Wabe, I think you need to be a little more open-minded. The reason you're getting such a negative reaction here is because the vast majority of people playing it are absolutely enjoying it.

I personally think this game's a masterpiece. And yes, this includes comparisons to games like Baldur's Gate, Oblivion, Risen, and Gothic.

The voice acting is superb and the script is very well thought out. The seemingless endless number of interaction opportunities are amazing. The detail they put into the writing the lore for this game makes me want to read everything in the game.

I've never cared to in any other RPG.

Wabe, I think you need to be a little more open-minded. The reason you're getting such a negative reaction here is because the vast majority of people playing it are absolutely enjoying it.

I personally think this game's a masterpiece. And yes, this includes comparisons to games like Baldur's Gate, Oblivion, Risen, and Gothic.

The voice acting is superb and the script is very well thought out. The seemingless endless number of interaction opportunities are amazing.

What's the point in having a forum if everyone has to agree about everything? I'm playing the game and posting about it.

The simple truth is that if you visit a gaming forum, and post a comment about a game, and that comment goes against the grain of what others are saying, then virtually every time you'll be called a 'troll'. I had this happen to me one time when I liked a game and everyone else didn't. I was literally called a troll because I liked the game.

Think about that: I was accussed of being a troll (somebody who is deliberately attempting to promote discord) because I LIKED the game. That is rich!

Anyhow, I'm at 14%, and am still playing. I don't see any reason why I can't continue to play the game and post about it? So I'm going to be doing that. If you see my name, and you don't like what I write, then don't read it.

Okay, thanks.

The reason you're getting such a negative reaction here is because the vast majority of people playing it are absolutely enjoying it.

More because he keeps posting how much he hates it, but then says "well, imma keep playing." Over and over and over. It's "so ridiculous and tedious" that he keeps on playing it? Then, he makes comments about how long it was people with "jobs and families," but he keeps on playing it? The Fade levels made him physically ill, so he keeps on playing it?

He's flame.

If he wants to start an "I hate Dragon Age" thread, by all means. His coming into this thread where people are discussing the game just to shit on it is flame.

Gah I want my copy now. A friend of mine got us all copies from the EA store and we just paid for shipping. Includes all the extra content too. He screwed up my address but should be here tonight. It is killing me. Go for the eyes booo, go for the eyes!!!!

Wabe, the game made you want to puke and slit your wrists...? Seriously bud, you're a little bit too emo.

More because he keeps posting how much he hates it, but then says "well, imma keep playing." Over and over and over. It's "so ridiculous and tedious" that he keeps on playing it? Then, he makes comments about how long it was people with "jobs and families," but he keeps on playing it? The Fade levels made him physically ill, so he keeps on playing it?

He's flame.

If he wants to start an "I hate Dragon Age" thread, by all means. His coming into this thread where people are discussing the game just to shit on it is flame.

Excuse me, but this thread is titled 'Dragon Age Origins Discussion'.

That's what I was doing. I was discussing Dragon Age.

Whether or not I choose to continue playing a game that isn't, at present, working for me, in the hope that it will eventually get better, is purely my own decision, and has nothing to do with you.

Your own 'interpretation' of what I have written previously, by the way, is just that - it's YOUR interpretation. I've posted very specific reasons as to why this game isn't working for me. If you want to ignore all of that then fine. But don't call me a troll for writing about a game at a forum, which is exactly what forums are for.

Okay, thanks.

The Fade level only made 2 appearances that I enountered in my game and from what I gather there's one more during the Mage origin story. They're not that bad really. I can understand the physically ill part coming into play as I am a victim of motion sickness in poor FOV FPS games but the main Fade level in the Circle of the Magi quest line is the longest and mostly just an elaborate puzzle. The other one was in Redcliffe (I think?) and it was really short. Regardless, like everyone else has pointed out, including yourself, perhaps you stacked the game against yourself, I'd consider not playing anymore.

Wabe, the game made you want to puke and slit your wrists...? Seriously bud, you're a little bit too emo.

Do you actually believe that I meant that literally? (Also... slit my wrists? Say what? Where did I write that? Talk about being a bit too 'emo'. In the future, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth like that.)

Last edited:
The Fade level only made 2 appearances that I enountered in my game and from what I gather there's one more during the Mage origin story. They're not that bad really. I can understand the physically ill part coming into play as I am a victim of motion sickness in poor FOV FPS games but the main Fade level in the Circle of the Magi quest line is the longest and mostly just an elaborate puzzle. The other one was in Redcliffe (I think?) and it was really short. Regardless, like everyone else has pointed out, including yourself, perhaps you stacked the game against yourself, I'd consider not playing anymore.

But did you enjoy your time in The Fade?

Like I said, I'm at 14%, and I've been forced into the The Fade 3 times in a row now. It seems that I've spent the majority of my time in The Fade. This is the reason I'm continuing in the game. I can only assume that it's going to get better.

And as Desslock said, the part at Ostegar, he felt, was linear, and one of the weakest parts of the game.

I'm just wondering if, at present, I've experienced the worst 14% of the game? Maybe the game is now going to open up? How can I tell unless I continue? Doesn't mean I liked the first 14% though, because I didn't.

What's the point in having a forum if everyone has to agree about everything? I'm playing the game and posting about it.

The simple truth is that if you visit a gaming forum, and post a comment about a game, and that comment goes against the grain of what others are saying, then virtually every time you'll be called a 'troll'. I had this happen to me one time when I liked a game and everyone else didn't. I was literally called a troll because I liked the game.

Think about that: I was accussed of being a troll (somebody who is deliberately attempting to promote discord) because I LIKED the game. That is rich!

Anyhow, I'm at 14%, and am still playing. I don't see any reason why I can't continue to play the game and post about it? So I'm going to be doing that. If you see my name, and you don't like what I write, then don't read it.

Okay, thanks.

Hey man, just trying to help you out...

No, I'm just playing the game, and posting my thoughts about it. If you don't like what I write then don't read it.

Thanks.

Honestly, it's like watching somebody detailing their experience with flaying their own skin.

It's obviously a painful experience for you and it's a painful experience for us to read about.

Anyway, it's still a free world so do as you will, but you're really going around in circles.

Do you actually believe that I meant that literally? (Also... slit my wrists? Say what? Where did I write that? Talk about being a bit too 'emo'. In the future, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth like that.)

My fault, it wasn't your wrists, you said throat!

No, I know you weren't being literal, you were being overly dramatic, which was my point in the first place.

I thought the Fade part of the mage tower quest was very interesting. I liked being able to switch to Burning Man, toss out a fireball, switch to golem, hurl a rock, and use the fist smash and stomping abilities in close quarters, and use crushing prison with the spirit form. Or when one of those mages starts casting fireball at you, pause really quick then switch to Burning Man, and it does no damage to you...that saved my ass a couple times. You also get a shitload of stat bonuses from the quest. It's a long section of the game and the backtracking was a bit tedious, but I found it satisfying to rescue all my companions then kick some Sloth Demon ass at the end.

I thought the Fade part of the mage tower quest was very interesting. I liked being able to switch to Burning Man, toss out a fireball, switch to golem, hurl a rock, and use the fist smash and stomping abilities in close quarters, and use crushing prison with the spirit form. Or when one of those mages starts casting fireball at you, pause really quick then switch to Burning Man, and it does no damage to you...that saved my ass a couple times. You also get a shitload of stat bonuses from the quest. It's a long section of the game and the backtracking was a bit tedious, but I found it satisfying to rescue all my companions then kick some Sloth Demon ass at the end.

You see, this right here is how you respond to a post. That's more like it. I don't agree with this, but at least it's a comment about the actual game.

Back