Dragon Age Origins discussion...

Got it yesterday! I am not blown away by any means. The first hours of The Witcher was more impressive. combat is really lame so far and the environments and music doesn´t impress much. But rpgs generally need some time to get into so I am not that worried. Voice acting is really good so far though and there seem to be some humour in here apart from Mass Effect :)

Dead certain it will beat Mass Effect but I doubt it will touch KOTOR if we go with Biowares own rpgs. They do nothing new with this it seems like but if that means they spent all the resources with the quests and limit those collect 5xxx to a minimum great :)

btw I am wondering if I am really running it maxed out? The configuration tool just crashes on me is every setting for video, audio available in game or just some of them?

I'm starting to see a pattern here. Dragon Age. Bit of a disappointment, yeah? Not the great game we were expecting. Tolerating it rather than loving it. Wow.

Nope, not tolerating at all. LOVE Dragon Age. See, even though I may get flamed for this, I hated Baldurs Gate. After I bought it, I played it for about 2 hours, uninstalled it and took it back to EB to trade it in on something else.

Totally disagree with Wabe on most of his points, for me, this is game of the year material.That's my opinion of the game.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...........

been struggle with an encounter anyone got any tips. I'm in the Brecilian forest eastern part where there is a gravestone, I touch the wards and this revenant, a yellow skeleton and other undeads pop up, tried this 5 times last night but can't get it done. My part is Alistair, Leliana, main (mage) and Wynne as healing.

been struggle with an encounter anyone got any tips. I'm in the Brecilian forest eastern part where there is a gravestone, I touch the wards and this revenant, a yellow skeleton and other undeads pop up, tried this 5 times last night but can't get it done. My part is Alistair, Leliana, main (mage) and Wynne as healing.

Any spells that hinder or impair movement will help here.

Cone of cold is a good spell for this as it has a short cooldown, but you gotta be careful not to hit your own party with it. :D

Keep the Rev frozen while you take out the small stuff, then keep him frozen while you beat the tar outta him. Could also use Crushing Prison or Mass Paralysis to keep everyone locked down.

What level are you? I got party wiped real fast at about level 6/7 with a similar party so have decided to go back later for a rematch. When you go hunt for the werewolves, there's another revenant down there like that.

just picked this up off steam and cant wait to play it. i played baulders gate when i was younger but thought it was too hard. i was like 8 or 9 when i played it so tactical thinking and pausing just wasn't my thing at that age

What I don't like is that I find myself staring at my party's health meters for most of the battle and just let them fight, waiting for the right time to pause and heal them. But I'm still pretty early in the game, and I guess I'll be able to setup tactics later on that will take care of that.

What level are you? I got party wiped real fast at about level 6/7 with a similar party so have decided to go back later for a rematch. When you go hunt for the werewolves, there's another revenant down there like that.

I may skip it and come back for a rematch, my guys are around 9/10 tho and most of the encounters so far were cake and this one jumped up and bit me hard. I have cone of cold and blizzard, the blizzard unfortunately seems to have a lower chance of freezing the rev than cone of cold. and these things are immune to cold dmg also, they'll freeze sometimes but not take damage yuck yuck

I may skip it and come back for a rematch, my guys are around 9/10 tho and most of the encounters so far were cake and this one jumped up and bit me hard. I have cone of cold and blizzard, the blizzard unfortunately seems to have a lower chance of freezing the rev than cone of cold. and these things are immune to cold dmg also, they'll freeze sometimes but not take damage yuck yuck

Just did the rematch at a level 10/11 party. It was tough. Cleared out his 3 or 4 minions right away and kited the revenant around in circles. Took me 10-15 minutes. Felt pretty cheap but I don't see a way to tank this guy when he's hitting for 50 each time.

My main is a mage, I also had Morrigan, Alistar, and that one sister rogue.

Just did the rematch at a level 10/11 party. It was tough. Cleared out his 3 or 4 minions right away and kited the revenant around in circles. Took me 10-15 minutes. Felt pretty cheap but I don't see a way to tank this guy when he's hitting for 50 each time.

My main is a mage, I also had Morrigan, Alistar, and that one sister rogue.

I've found the best way to tank those big hitters (with the exception of just freezing them) is using the forcefield method. I have FF on Morrigan and Wynne and once Alistar has agro I just keep him shielded so he takes no damage while I backstab the hell out of the mob. Works great for the most part.

I've found the best way to tank those big hitters (with the exception of just freezing them) is using the forcefield method. I have FF on Morrigan and Wynne and once Alistar has agro I just keep him shielded so he takes no damage while I backstab the hell out of the mob. Works great for the most part.

Wow... i think I need to explore the spell trees a little more. I don't even have forcefield. Are there any other must have spells?

Nope, not tolerating at all. LOVE Dragon Age. See, even though I may get flamed for this, I hated Baldurs Gate. After I bought it, I played it for about 2 hours, uninstalled it and took it back to EB to trade it in on something else.

Totally disagree with Wabe on most of his points, for me, this is game of the year material.That's my opinion of the game.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...........

Forums are about exchanging ideas and opinions. You're not going to find people agreeing 100% with one another at a gaming forum.

Ever.

Me, personally, I've never called somebody an asshole at a forum simply because I disagreed with the guy, which is what you basically just did to me. That's okay, though - I've seen this sort of thing hundreds of times. It's still not necessary though.

Forums are about exchanging ideas and opinions. You're not going to find people agreeing 100% with one another at a gaming forum.

Ever.

Me, personally, I've never called somebody an asshole at a forum simply because I disagreed with the guy, which is what you basically just did to me. That's okay, though - I've seen this sort of thing hundreds of times. It's still not necessary though.

Didn't call you an asshole, said opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. :rolleyes:

Right now this game is pissing me right the f*&K off. I let the assassin live at the beginning and now I'm in Denerim and he and a bunch of other assassins are trying to kill me again.

I just haven't been able toget past them no matter how hard I try.

It's really pissing me off.

Right now this game is pissing me right the f*&K off. I let the assassin live at the beginning and now I'm in Denerim and he and a bunch of other assassins are trying to kill me again.

I just haven't been able toget past them no matter how hard I try.

It's really pissing me off.

The way I dealt with him was focus fire on hm and let my party deal with his fellows. Once I had him dead he begged for mercy, I let him live then join me.

The way I dealt with him was focus fire on hm and let my party deal with his fellows. Once I had him dead he begged for mercy, I let him live then join me.

SPOILER ALERT:

I'm talking about much later in the game after you've had him around for a while as a "friend" . . . (spoiler alert).

Just wait until later in the game

Some of the "boss" fights like the revenants in the forest are quite hard, you need at least one mage with some decent CC, theres a big number of spells that will lock down one person from being able to attack or move, the frost tree is an absolute necessity for me, the cone frost attack is almost a guranteed freeze and can last almost long enough to use it again, in fact 2 mages with this can keep a whole group of people frozen until their mana runs out.

the revenant in the forest is pretty easy to abuse assuming you're able to keep him CCed while killing all his friends

he's even easier if you have a tank that can actually tank him. if not, just make sure the tank gets aggro then start running with the tank while everyone else just uses a ranged weapon and no special abilities. the revenant seems to stop using his pull ability for some reason unless hit by a special ability so I can just run around with the tank while everyone slowly whittles the revenant's health down with ranged attacks.

if you only have 1 CC ability available, you can also CC the revenant then start running away from it ASAP with his friends chasing. he will stay where he is at once he gets out of CC if you can get away far enough. this only worked for the revenants in the east forest.

Last edited:
Holy shit @ DW dagger + Momentum + Swift Salve

Together with Quiet Death poison, Mark of Death, and The Tainted Blade... quick work of many elites.

SPOILER ALERT:

I'm talking about much later in the game after you've had him around for a while as a "friend" . . . (spoiler alert).

Just wait until later in the game.

Finished my first run through of the game last night, never experienced what happened to you with him, odd.

Well im close to finishing the game...Just did the dirty with Morrigan. :D :D :D

I plan on playing through again. So, Shale and Warden's Keep will be already finished quests or am I going to have go through them again?

Didn't call you an asshole, said opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. :rolleyes:

The first time I heard someone say this it was mildly amusing. The second time it was already starting to get old. It's beyond old now.

I get it. You don't like it when somebody disagrees with you about a game.

how many hours did it take you guys to finish your first run through ? I just bought the game last night off EA downloader

Spoiler request:
Are there any positives to letting Redcliffe get overrun by zombies (other than a few influence points for your evil NPCs)? The way I've worked it out, you get a decent amount of XP preparing for and fighting the battle, as well as the Irregular, Mage, and Chantry quests if the town survives. I was originally playing evil, but the downsides seemed to favor saving the town.

Finished my first run through of the game last night, never experienced what happened to you with him, odd.

Maybe I was too goodie two-shoes for his taste? :).

I finally found out the easy way was to talk to him before I went to that area of the city, ask him to leave and when he said no, I killed him. :).

His buddies never showed up after that.

I keep losing my helmet.. I think it's Bergens Honor.. I lost it a while ago and I rebought it at my camp. Now it's gone aswell as Morrigans staff that I also bought there. Wtf gives?

And now Shale is so bugged he cant even attack, his abilities wont come on and remain sustained.

I keep losing my helmet.. I think it's Bergens Honor.. I lost it a while ago and I rebought it at my camp. Now it's gone aswell as Morrigans staff that I also bought there. Wtf gives?

And now Shale is so bugged he cant even attack, his abilities wont come on and remain sustained.

Special DLC items will disappear if you're not logged into your EA account. This happened to me a few times and thankfully I didn't save my game cause my tank was missing all his cool shit and my rings were missing. Really weird.

Finished my first run through just a few minutes ago. Was a great game!!! Playing through again as the hottest human mage chick I can make. :D

The last battle was pretty easy, just did what I did for all of the other dragons... (SPOILER) Spread out my guys so fire doesnt affect them all, have shale taunt/threaten and then melee the dragon, while everyone else ranged. Then I summoned the Elven Archers. My guy, had 54 dex so he was hitting 40-50's :D

AND...I have no doubt in my mind that there will be a sequel. The ending lays it out for there to be another. Make sure you read the snippets in the end! ;) Shouldn't take as long either since they already have the engine and toolset laid out. Probably just a little longer then the amount of time it took to make/release Mass Effect 2.

Happy DA playing! :)

I finished my first run through last night. I was around 44-45 hours. How on earth are some people hitting 70+ hours on a single play? I tried to do every side quest I could find. Maybe I missed out on content with my party? The only side missions I did with them were for Morrigan and Leliana.

Great game, BTW. I plan to play through again as a mage or a dual wield warrior.

I finished my first run through last night. I was around 44-45 hours. How on earth are some people hitting 70+ hours on a single play? I tried to do every side quest I could find. Maybe I missed out on content with my party? The only side missions I did with them were for Morrigan and Leliana.

Great game, BTW. I plan to play through again as a mage or a dual wield warrior.

70+? Seems a little excessive. 45 is a pretty comprehensive playthrough, can't really miss much with that.

I'm about 60+ right now and I'm going through the battle at Denerim as I write this now.

Anyone else here spend 20 hours this weekend playing this game this weekend? The last non-mmo rpg I spent this much time on was Baldur's Gate 2. Can't get enough of it!

I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those guys spending 60+ hours. I'm at 38 hours now and the statistics show that I've explored only 19% of the game. How is that even possible?? 50% of the world is explored, so there must be a lot more to do. My party is all in the 13/14 range right now. Was running 2 mages, rogue, and alistar for a while. Now I do 3 mages and Alistar.

I forgot to go back to free that guy in the cage (Sten?) and just found out through my completed quests that he's dead. :( Is he a much better tank than Alistar? I'm currently trying to max out his shield category.

Those of you that have beat the game on normal... what level was your party around?

lol, I just pulled up my statistics and I'm at 76 hours, 49% of DA:O complete, 91% of the world explored, and apparently contributing to 46% of my party's damage. i'm level 22 currently.

FInished the game once, now I'm running another try, with different (evil) approach. My city elf hates all the shems and is mean :) I really love this game, different origins means different quest options in different areas - I love how most people react to elf. "Eh you, slave, get over here", also lots of different endings.

Besides, this game proves that even good has its "evil" sides... You don't care which side of conflict you take, as long as you get some troops for your army. Now, all we need is sequel based on the ending, when you accept Morrigan's offer.

If the incoming Old Republic MMO has also such great storyline, then it will be THE MMO I've been waiting for.

btw, anyone else notice that Morrigan is modeled after Morgan Le Fay and Leliana after Joan of Arc (and Orlais=Orleans)?

The first time I heard someone say this it was mildly amusing. The second time it was already starting to get old. It's beyond old now.

I get it. You don't like it when somebody disagrees with you about a game.

I could care less, I love the game, you don't,, that's fine. You have your opinion, I have mine and ... so does everyone else, hence my statement. Lighten up Wabe. You'll live longer methinks. Don't take it so personal.

how many hours did it take you guys to finish your first run through ? I just bought the game last night off EA downloader

Right below 60 Hours, must have missed some things though as game showed 93% of World Explored but only 70 % of game completed ? what the hell ? lol

Back