Dragon Age Inquisition Performance Thread

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
Thought this might be handy to post benchmarks, tweaks, tips, etc.

Sapphire 290 Tri-X @ 1150/1600 - Mantle - All settings at high - 59.6 FPS average on the benchmark @ 1440p

Cutscenes are have a choppy feel no matter the settings.

where did you get your copy? I preordered on Origin and it's still saying not yet released

I've yet to get access to my copy, but I'm curious what should I expect on a 970 @ 1440p?

I've yet to get access to my copy, but I'm curious what should I expect on a 970 @ 1440p?

If you are overclocked to ~1500 core, I would expect the same as my 290 give or take a few frames. No idea how efficient Mantle is in this case.

Ok so I set my GTX 980 and i7 4790k to "stock" settings, to get a base line run of the benchmark.

GTX980 - i7 4790k @4.0Ghz
1920X1080, 2x MSAA, Ultra across the board, "Fade Touched" Textures:

DirectX API: 63.7 fps avg, 52.6 min

Ok so I set my GTX 980 and i7 4790k to "stock" settings, to get a base line run of the benchmark.

GTX980 - i7 4790k @4.0Ghz
1920X1080, 2x MSAA, Ultra across the board, "Fade Touched" Textures:

DirectX API: 63.7 fps avg, 52.6 min

That's pretty solid, that's with no overclock on the 980?

Those 980 numbers are VERY encouraging and exactly where I want to be.

Those 980 numbers are VERY encouraging and exactly where I want to be.

After seeing some of the number posted for Tri 290x's and other cards @ 1080p I was concerned. Not so much anymore.

With SLI 970s, I'm getting a smooth experience at 1440p with everything on ultra. I'm not sure of the exact fps, so I'll have to come back with that info later.

Is SLI even working right now?

With SLI 970s, I'm getting a smooth experience at 1440p with everything on ultra. I'm not sure of the exact fps, so I'll have to come back with that info later.

Is SLI even working right now?

Yes its working, though utilization on the GPU's could be better.

GTX 970 SLI 1516MHz Core Benchmarks:

2560x1440, 2X MSAA, Ultra, High Post Process, "Fade Touched" Textures:
DirectX API = 72fps avg, 55.8fps min

2560x1440, 4X MSAA Ultra, High Post Process, "Fade Touched" Textures:
DirectX API: 61.9fps avg, 45.7fps min

Absolutely gorgeous. The only issue I am having is the ingame cut scenes being locked at 30fps, which seems to be making them jumpy.

Why do these devs continue to use low res video for cut scenes? Wouldn't it be easier to just render those cut scenes with the game engine?

Why do these devs continue to use low res video for cut scenes?

Because lowest common denominator - they prerender a video once for all platforms (consoles). And duplicate videos in multiple resolutions would only bloat the game installation.

Wouldn't it be easier to just render those cut scenes with the game engine?

No. If it was easier they'd be doing it.

The cut scenes are definitely not low res. Just locked at 30fps.

Why do these devs continue to use low res video for cut scenes? Wouldn't it be easier to just render those cut scenes with the game engine?

It will give an inconsistent experience dependent on your machines performance.
By not rendering, they can increase visual effects without impact, even beyond the capability of the fastest machines and maintain a known constant framerate.

High res 60fps video at 1080p takes a lot of space, especially if you want to make full use of the resolution (less compression artefacts = more space needed).
ie my camera records 1080p @ 60fps and in high quality mode it uses approx 270MB per minute with only 4:2:0 colour encoding!
This is why 30fps is used.

I always watch my TV and movie videos at 60fps using SVP.
After doing this, normal broadcast TV doesnt look smooth any more.
So its probably not down to lack of motion blur, its what you are used to.

The cutscenes are very jarring and make my eyes hurt. I'm guessing there's no way around that yet but hopefully someone is working on it. As of now, they might as well not be there since I look away and just listen.

I haven't run the in game benchmark, but my 980 is killing it at 1080p, ultra everything, fade textures, 4xMSAA. Typically seeing around 80-90fps when I stop and look. I'm sure it drops in combat and I've not noticed... but that means it should be hanging in at or above 60, which is really all that matters. I've noticed no slowdown.

Cutscenes capped at 30fps is really annoying. Anyone know the technical reason for this? Thus far, that's my only complaint. The game looks stunning and performs wonderfully.

Somewhat related, IGN has been caught using lower settings on the PC version to compare to consoles.
The video has been made PRIVATE within the last few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H_p6MRIBos

You can find comparison screenshots here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2mmb7h/ign_proven_to_use_lower_settings_on_pc_when_doing/

Here's a direct link to the image:
http://i.imgur.com/TFkblxo.jpg

The video did claim to use the Ultra preset.

Check the replies on reddit. An editor for IGN PC game forward and said that someone fucked up and put console footage in place of the PC footage. It was a mistake, nothing more. He seems to be pretty open about answering peoples questions and providing details beyond just a canned PR statement. I see nothing that suggests his story shouldn't be believed. Here's the short version:

Hey guys - this was an honest mistake. It appears as though either Xbox One or PlayStation 4 footage was accidentally mislabeled as PC footage. We pulled the video down and are investigating how the wrong video footage was used in this comparison.

Cutscenes capped at 30fps is really annoying. Anyone know the technical reason for this? Thus far, that's my only complaint. The game looks stunning and performs wonderfully.

Probably because the facial animations only have 30 frames per second of movement. There was a similar limitation in LA Noir in which the performance capture data was only 30fps, when you unlock the frame rate on stuff then animation can get fairly out of whack (the effect is sort of hard to describe, sort of like you get a double play of that frames animation data). It's only in cut scenes though so at least it won't impact the game play.

Probably because the facial animations only have 30 frames per second of movement. There was a similar limitation in LA Noir in which the performance capture data was only 30fps, when you unlock the frame rate on stuff then animation can get fairly out of whack (the effect is sort of hard to describe, sort of like you get a double play of that frames animation data). It's only in cut scenes though so at least it won't impact the game play.

Makes sense. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but it is very noticeable when the game is running along at 60+ fps the rest of the time. I suppose the reality is, us PC plebs are the only group that is even going to see the difference.

Everything else about the game is wonderful anyway. It really does look and perform admirably, and it's fun as hell. I tipped 8 hours today, and finally had to walk away. I cannot think of a single other complaint than the cut scenes. If only I could say that about every game :D

So that's why LA noir looked so terrible. I never did put my finger on it until now. It always reminded me of a live mouth sticking through a cardboard cutout face.

I'm going to wait and see what happens tomorrow but if this cutscene problem is set in stone then I'm going to exercise the origin return policy.

Are the consoles (xbone/ps4) really stuck at this 30fps for the whole game? I don't know how people play that without headaches.

GTX 970 stock, 3770k stock
1080p, Max settings, 2xMSAA
Avg - 39.2
Min - 30.1

And what I've been running the game on:
Max settings but one step down on: Tesselation, Post Process Qualtiy, HBAO. MSAA turned off

Avg - 55.0
Min - 41.8

Some screenshots:
aF3sojP.jpg

PTAR9aq.jpg

ya8VHyX.jpg

mARuo9O.jpg

The textures and tesselation are excellent and the game looks great even with MSAA off. And waterfalls are usually a moment where videocards tend to chug but I was reading 55fps solid in that last shot, haha. I'll try to get some screenshots in combat

Screenshots simply don't do this game justice. I'm running it on mix of High/Ultra (no MSAA) and the game still looks absolutely fantastic. The only downside is I'm only able to get around 30fps at those settings with a single HD6950. Looks like this might finally be the game that makes me pull the trigger on an upgrade.

Great looking game - feels clunky with the keyboard and mouse, I will need to look at the controls.

I ran the in game benchmark with everything on Ultra at 1920x1080 and I had results in the teens - as in 16 and 18 so something is wrong. Perhaps its my card and drivers and something to do with the dual gpus

Screenshots simply don't do this game justice. I'm running it on mix of High/Ultra (no MSAA) and the game still looks absolutely fantastic.

I hope not .. because looking at Business6's screenshots of the character models and particularly the faces, they look kinda flat, like PS2 era.

Scenery looks nice though. But overall its like the polygon count seems very low. Will have to see it for myself tomorrow.

Great looking game - feels clunky with the keyboard and mouse, I will need to look at the controls.

I ran the in game benchmark with everything on Ultra at 1920x1080 and I had results in the teens - as in 16 and 18 so something is wrong. Perhaps its my card and drivers and something to do with the dual gpus

Did you get the new AMD drivers for the game? 14.11.2 Beta is the DA:I driver of choice.

I hope not .. because looking at Business6's screenshots of the character models and particularly the faces, they look kinda flat, like PS2 era.

Scenery looks nice though. But overall its like the polygon count seems very low. Will have to see it for myself tomorrow.

I will say that the most disappointing part, graphically, is in fact the skin/faces. The faces are fine, and I don't mind them, but the hands are pretty bad. Luckily, my guy is always wearing gloves, so I don't see them.

As for polygon count, I'm not seeing any real problems there. I actually have that set to Medium, and it's fine for me. I'm sure it's much better on High/Ultra.

Well I'm having a hard time with any game's facial animations and models after playing AC Unity, that's for damn sure. Otherwise I've been extremely impressed with the graphic quality of the game.

I installed the 14.11.2 beta drivers and forced crossfire and it seems to run a lot better but I'm still having some hitching and pausing during the cutscenes where the cutscene seems to get jerky or jittery and then the npc catches up and repeats the words rapidly. The game is great but it definitely needs a patch and driver update.

Im experimenting with the different character classes so hopefully by the time I really get into playing it will run more smoothly.

i might shelve this until theres a performance patch. i cant deal with the stuttering in the cut scenes.

0-5 seconds to load the cut scene at the start, and then anywhere from 1-30 fps during. and then 90 once im back in the game.

i might shelve this until theres a performance patch. i cant deal with the stuttering in the cut scenes.

0-5 seconds to load the cut scene at the start, and then anywhere from 1-30 fps during. and then 90 once im back in the game.

There are multiple fixes out there. All it consists of is adding some commands to the properties on the .exe, and it removes the 30fps cap. Worked for me, at least.

i dont mind the actual 30fps hard cap in the scenes, if it would actually maintain the 30fps. its the 30fps one moment, 2 fps the next that i cant stand.

Back