downloading and SMB sharing computer

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Some more parameters needed:
- Two 3.5" or 2.5" hard drives?
- Budget?
- Any care about how big the case for this download and file server will be?

I am wanting to make a computer specifically for downloading (torrents) and for sharing files via SMB to other computers in my house. This computer would need to use as little power as possible and ideally have room for at least 2 internal hard drives (or have 4 USB ports). It will be on all day and all night, so hardware stability is very important. Also it will be running Ubuntu as opposed to windows if that makes a difference.

Now with those parameters what would you guys recommend picking up for parts, with low power usage being #1 (so no tri-sli 280's lol)

edit - below is some more information i forgot to include in the original post
- 3.5" hard drives (1 TB each)
- i was intending to spend around $300 in total on the project (i already have the hard drives and ram) , but depending on how much power can be saved i'd be willing to go as high as $550
- a small case would be nice, but if a big case is more power efficient then i will roll with that

Some more parameters needed:
- Two 3.5" or 2.5" hard drives?
- Budget?
- Any care about how big the case for this download and file server will be?
- 3.5" hard drives (1 TB each)
- i was intending to spend around $300 in total on the project (i already have the hard drives and ram) , but depending on how much power can be saved i'd be willing to go as high as $550
- below is the link to the case that i was thinking about, being small is a good thing, but not essential by any means
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX17082(ME).aspx

also i apologize for being so vauge in my opening post and i will add this post to the 1st one as well :p

Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 CPU Intel 945GC m-ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - $105 CAD
Seasonic SS-350ET 350W 80Plus PSU - $45
Thermaltake VF6000BNS LANBOX Lite - $90 CAD
----
Total: $240 CAD plus tax and shipping

That case is actually one of the few mATX cases that I could find that supported mITX motherboards. The Seasonic PSU is very efficient and is more than enough power for a Atom and two hard drive setup. As mentioned earlier, the Atom Dual Core CPU is a very very low power CPU and is more than enough for file serving duties.

I'd go with an Apex MI-100 and a PCI slot cooler rather than the LBL. For 2 hard drives you don't have to worry about using too much power. This case is way smaller and has an included 250w PSU.

You'll need a 5.25" to 3.5" bracket if you're using a PATA drive, I found it impossible to route the cable when using the lower slot. If you're using SATA, pick up a molex-SATA adapter, the PSU on this unit has only one SATA power connector.

Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 CPU Intel 945GC m-ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - $105 CAD
Seasonic SS-350ET 350W 80Plus PSU - $45
Thermaltake VF6000BNS LANBOX Lite - $90 CAD
----
Total: $240 CAD plus tax and shipping

That case is actually one of the few mATX cases that I could find that supported mITX motherboards. The Seasonic PSU is very efficient and is more than enough power for a Atom and two hard drive setup. As mentioned earlier, the Atom Dual Core CPU is a very very low power CPU and is more than enough for file serving duties.
I really like that setup, and according to Fudzilla that mobo is actually quite powerful (enough to play 720p videos!) so your exact setup will be the one that i will use :)
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?o...k=view&id=9775&Itemid=40&limit=1&limitstart=2
if your interested^^^

Thank you for your help

I'd go with an Apex MI-100 and a PCI slot cooler rather than the LBL. For 2 hard drives you don't have to worry about using too much power. This case is way smaller and has an included 250w PSU.

You'll need a 5.25" to 3.5" bracket if you're using a PATA drive, I found it impossible to route the cable when using the lower slot. If you're using SATA, pick up a molex-SATA adapter, the PSU on this unit has only one SATA power connector.
damn that case is smaller, and will take a good $45 off of the project, but the thermaltake one looks cooler IMO, so for such a small difference i will go for that one. Also I have never heared of a PCI slot cooler, so if cooling is a problem i'll pick one up :)

damn that case is smaller, and will take a good $45 off of the project, but the thermaltake one looks cooler IMO, so for such a small difference i will go for that one.
That Apex case is smaller and cheaper but it comes with a very very low quality PSU. Since you want stable hardware and plan on running this rig 24/7, I would not recommend getting that Apex case/PSU combo.

That Apex case is smaller and cheaper but it comes with a very very low quality PSU. Since you want stable hardware and plan on running this rig 24/7, I would not recommend getting that Apex case/PSU combo.

Not trying to argue with you or anything but I've never had any problems with this PSU. Uptime on my Atom server is at 3 weeks because I had to switch out one of the hard drives. I use it as a Counter-Strike server. It's not like he's trying to run a Quad-core with 8GB of RAM and a 9800GX2.

Either case should work fine for you. I'd say go for the Apex if you want to save some money and space, the Lanbox if space doesn't bother you.

Oh, and here's a link on Newegg for it. Are you in Canada? This one is $69.99 USD after MIR. I'm not sure if that's cheaper than the one Danny posted, but Newegg does Canada now, and I've never heard of Memoryexpress.

I have both, and I love both. Happy building!

Not trying to argue with you or anything but I've never had any problems with this PSU. Uptime on my Atom server is at 3 weeks because I had to switch out one of the hard drives. I use it as a Counter-Strike server. It's not like he's trying to run a Quad-core with 8GB of RAM and a 9800GX2.

While yes the Atom setup would be very low powered compared to a quad-core with 8GB of RAM and 9800GX2, it's just that Allied, the maker of that PSU, is well known for making low-quality and almost absolute shit PSUs. Hence my hesitation on recommending it. Until I see some legitimate PSU testing on that PSU, I cannot recommend it.

Oh and you might want to take a look at this:
Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Atom 330 CPU Intel 945GC m-ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - $80

Low power and more than enough for file serving duties.

Any word on the Linux capabilities of this board? Specifically, the Realtek RTL8102E LAN chip. I was looking at this board for a pfSense build (BSD based, so this may be totally different for Ubuntu) and there was some problems with getting drivers to work for this chip. Just something you may want to look into before buying that board.

Also, a bit out of your price range, but I recently build a small file server using this case. It is pretty cool, but also a bit pricey. You can see pictures of my build here.

Oh, and Ubuntu is nice for a home server. If you want any advise on setting it up, you can ask me. I am not an expert, but I recently set up my box to do almost exactly what you are doing so I may be able to answer some questions.

Any word on the Linux capabilities of this board? Specifically, the Realtek RTL8102E LAN chip. I was looking at this board for a pfSense build (BSD based, so this may be totally different for Ubuntu) and there was some problems with getting drivers to work for this chip. Just something you may want to look into before buying that board.

Also, a bit out of your price range, but I recently build a small file server using this case. It is pretty cool, but also a bit pricey. You can see pictures of my build here.

Oh, and Ubuntu is nice for a home server. If you want any advise on setting it up, you can ask me. I am not an expert, but I recently set up my box to do almost exactly what you are doing so I may be able to answer some questions.
When i get it i'll update this thread with information about ubuntu compatability and pictures :eek: , also it appears as if your setup is for much more intenceive needs than mine. All mine will be used for is downloading and sharing files between computers in my house (like 10 computers). Also yours doesnt look very power efficient, however if i do have any questions i will definatly be sure to send you a message :p

also nice setup BTW

When i get it i'll update this thread with information about ubuntu compatability and pictures :eek:

I definitely want pics :D Speaking of which, what parts are you going to get?

@ ilikecake
Haven't heard too much about Linux and that mobo.

Back