Downloading a Legit Copy of Windows

stinkboots

n00b
I have a legit CD-Key but no disc. I don't want to have Dell ship me out a stinkin' recovery cd, I just want to be able to install Windows XP SP3 and punch in my legit key and move on. Is there any way I can just download an image that isn't hax0red?

Just gotta look. Theres non altered versions on torrent sites. This happened with me with other stuff also. Should be fine.

Post back if that is in fact actually a Win XP install disc.

Ok, you are right in that it is just an update. But why is it stupid of them to offer a legit copy to download? When it is easier for me to get a pirated copy than a legit copy, what are they gaining?

The only place to get a "legit" copy of XP Professional SP3 is Microsoft, either through an MSDN subscription or through a TechNet subscription.

Any and all other methods regardless of what you as an individual may believe it legit or not are considering piracy and as such should not be discussed here.

/me gets in before the lock...

First, thanks for answering my question, now I know. Second, no is talking about doing anything illegal. In fact, I posted this thread for the exact opposite reason; to avoid doing anything illegal. Third, since my question has been answered, I would like to ask instead WHY Microsoft chooses to go about it this way. I'm sure they have a good reason, but obviously it isn't to prevent people from pirating Windows as millions easily do.

And after looking at the replies again, I just thought I would explicitly state one more time that I HAVE A SERIAL KEY FOR WINDOWS THAT I RECEIVED WHEN I PAYED FOR WINDOWS. There is no *wink wink* implied here, I just am trying to get a fricken' copy of a legit Windows Installation image so that I don't have to wait forever for Dell to send me a new one.

Check with friends/family ..work associates ..see if they have an OEM WinXP install disc that you could borrow .. then give it back when your done.

That's fine that you have a legit Product Key, but... it still doesn't alleviate the fact that getting an ISO of XP Pro SP3 from anywhere but Microsoft (or an actual CD from Dell) isn't a legit way of doing it.

I have no idea why Microsoft doesn't allow casual downloads of XP Pro SP3 ISOs, probably bandwidth related reasons I'd guess, could be a whole world of reasons. Call 'em or write 'em and get a standard boiler plate reply probably.

And just for the record, if this is for a Dell branded machine, and you're waiting for Dell to supply you with a replacement installation CD, that'll be branded as well sooo... it's not like acquiring any old XP Pro SP3 ISO will do here...

And if you bought a retail copy of XP Pro SP3 (or SP2 perhaps), the Dell CD isn't going to work with the Product Key from the retail product, go figure.

It just gets worse... this kind of thread drags on back and forth till an Admin/Mod steps in and basically says the same things then locks it up.

So I'm not trying to butt heads with you on anything - I realize that the only way to download a copy of Windows XP online is to go through one of the portals you described. And we are in agreement with the fact that it doesn't seem like a security measure to prohibit the distribution of Windows XP over the internet. However,

That's fine that you have a legit Product Key, but... it still doesn't alleviate the fact that getting an ISO of XP Pro SP3 from anywhere but Microsoft (or an actual CD from Dell) isn't a legit way of doing it.

That's also fine. I never said "I want to do something unlegit." I said "hey, is this legit because it would conveniant if it was." Also,

It just gets worse... this kind of thread drags on back and forth till an Admin/Mod steps in and basically says the same things then locks it up.

I would be surprised if this thread got shut down at this point for any reason besides for wasting HardForum's webspace. Those other kinds of threads are probably ones that tip-toe around talking about doing something illegal without explicitly stating as much. This clearly isn't that. It's like me asking if borrowing my roommates legit copy of Windows to install with my CD key is legal or not. Then, I get an answer saying it is illegal, and also get patronized for even thinking about doing something illegal, when I had no intentions of doing anything illegal, but in fact was trying to avoid it. So now that I know, thanks, I'm not trying to "alleviate any fact".

I have a legit CD-Key but no disc. I don't want to have Dell ship me out a stinkin' recovery cd, I just want to be able to install Windows XP SP3 and punch in my legit key and move on. Is there any way I can just download an image that isn't hax0red?
Yes, there are clean images everywhere on the net. You just won't be downloading it from Microsoft without an account you have to pay for.
Ok, you are right in that it is just an update. But why is it stupid of them to offer a legit copy to download? When it is easier for me to get a pirated copy than a legit copy, what are they gaining?
Most Windows images that you find on torrent sites are not cracked. Microsoft doesn't offer the ability to download it because it would be an invitation to piracy. That doesn't mean someone who has the ability to download the clean iso's from Microsoft Tech Net is not sharing them on torrent sites.

And just for the record, if this is for a Dell branded machine, and you're waiting for Dell to supply you with a replacement installation CD, that'll be branded as well sooo... it's not like acquiring any old XP Pro SP3 ISO will do here...

Think about what you're saying here - you need a Dell install CD for a Dell computer? No. The only thing special about the Dell install CD is a whole lot of crappy programs and integrated drivers. Just do the regular install from a retail CD and then get the drivers from Dell's website. And god forbid we start talking about corporations here - they sure as hell don't buy their VLKs from Dell lol.

No one is going to care if you download a cracked verion of XP.
No one is going to care if you download an unaltered iso file.
Why was this thread necessary? Go search for "window iso torrent".

For an XP pro versus Home key, you will need a pro CD versus a Home CD respectively.
For an OEM versus Retail Key, you will need an OEM CD versus a Retail CD respectively.
This all changed with Vista where all versions are on the same DVD.

If your computer is still working, you can build your own SP3 install CD.
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

Think about what you're saying here - you need a Dell install CD for a Dell computer? No. The only thing special about the Dell install CD is a whole lot of crappy programs and integrated drivers. Just do the regular install from a retail CD and then get the drivers from Dell's website. And god forbid we start talking about corporations here - they sure as hell don't buy their VLKs from Dell lol.

Wrong, because Dell - unlike most other OEMs like HP and Gateway, etc - don't include a "everything is on this one disc" method of restoration. Dell stands alone in the sense that they include multiple discs and there's always just the one that matters:

Dell Operating System Restoration Disc (XP or older) or Dell Reinstallation DVD (for Vista and soon Windows 7)

aka "your Windows OS, with nothing else on it" aka an exact duplicate of a regular Windows installation disc - the only difference is that disc will contain the additional necessary files that tie it to the branded hardware (the OEMBIOS info for XP, the SLIC and .xrm-ms files ncessary for use with Vista and Windows 7).

VLKs are only available from one source: Microsoft, and nobody else.

OEM branded discs are tied to the BIOS of the branded hardware, it has nothing to do with VLKs. There is a key, commonly referred to as an "OEM Royalty Key" that installs the OS without requiring it be input during the installation process, but it's still not 100% the same as having an actual Volume License Key as well as the necessary edition of Windows (Retail and OEM discs are not the same, there's a big difference in terms of activation and licensing).

As for why this thread was necessary, well... who knows, I'm just around to point out that "just go download it from a torrent" is not an attitude that's favored by the Admins/Mods around here... but whatever...

I have a legit CD-Key but no disc. I don't want to have Dell ship me out a stinkin' recovery cd,
Dell hasn't done recovery CDs in a very long time. There's a recovery partition on the hard drive and most models had a utility that could make backups of that partition and for a while to also burn the *reinstallation CD* from an image on the hard drive. Those systems came with a square card with a blue circle containing the instructions.

If you ordered a WinXP SP2/3 disc for you system, Dell would send you the reinstallation CD. The reinstallation CD is an OEM install disc.

Wrong, because Dell - unlike most other OEMs like HP and Gateway, etc - don't include a "everything is on this one disc" method of restoration. Dell stands alone in the sense that they include multiple discs and there's always just the one that matters:

Dell Operating System Restoration Disc (XP or older) or Dell Reinstallation DVD (for Vista and soon Windows 7)

aka "your Windows OS, with nothing else on it" aka an exact duplicate of a regular Windows installation disc - the only difference is that disc will contain the additional necessary files that tie it to the branded hardware (the OEMBIOS info for XP, the SLIC and .xrm-ms files ncessary for use with Vista and Windows 7).

VLKs are only available from one source: Microsoft, and nobody else.

OEM branded discs are tied to the BIOS of the branded hardware, it has nothing to do with VLKs. There is a key, commonly referred to as an "OEM Royalty Key" that installs the OS without requiring it be input during the installation process, but it's still not 100% the same as having an actual Volume License Key as well as the necessary edition of Windows (Retail and OEM discs are not the same, there's a big difference in terms of activation and licensing).

As for why this thread was necessary, well... who knows, I'm just around to point out that "just go download it from a torrent" is not an attitude that's favored by the Admins/Mods around here... but whatever...

All true but one thing...you can buy VLKs from dell and many other places as they are microsoft resellers. But you still retrieve and download your software through eopen.

And sap has obviously never used a Dell O/S install disc! :eek:

All true but one thing...you can buy VLKs from dell and many other places as they are microsoft resellers. But you still retrieve and download your software through eopen.

And sap has obviously never used a Dell O/S install disc! :eek:

There is a Dell 531s sitting downstairs that started life with Vista. I wiped it and used an OEM CD to install XP. I have no idea what you two are trying to say but I don't think we're talking about the same thing - my point is just that as long as his install CD matches his key (OEM vs. retail), he will have no problems installing.

Back