Down to my last piece on Upgrade 09! (GPU)

x y u

Limp Gawd
I just laid down some cash and picked up:
Intel i7,
Asus P6T Deluxe v2,
6GB ocz tripple channel memory
Corsair HX450W PSU (was an emergency purchase as my previous burned out)

And now i'm down to my final piece of hardware and I'm at a loss.

Since my PSU is only 450W I really can't go SLI / CF. The ancient card in my system right now is a 7600GS.

I run a 24" monitor but I really want to get that big Three OH 25x16 in the near future but one thing at a time.

My budget is around 450$ but we don't HAVE to go that high unless it's recommended i do.

I play CoD:5, 4, Dawn of War 2, WoW, and that new batman game looks fun but my old system couldn't handle the demo. Anyway, i love all kinds of games and would like something that could handle the games coming in the near future as well as a possible monitor upgrade!

I've found a decent price on a MSI GTX285 Superpipe OC 2gig version for 360USD.

Should i go for a 295? :D

The Corsair 450HX will not be enough for a GTX 280 or GTX 295. At most, the 450HX will only be able to handle a GTX 260 if Nvidia or HD4890 if ATI assuming no overclocking of the CPU.

i have a 500 watt PSU with +12V 44amps and i have ALOT running in this computer. GTX 285 OC+, phenom II 940BE running at 3.8GHz, 4HDs, 2 120MM fans and i get no problems at all.

i have a 500 watt PSU with +12V 44amps and i have ALOT running in this computer. GTX 285 OC+, phenom II 940BE running at 3.8GHz, 4HDs, 2 120MM fans and i get no problems at all.

Something seriously wrong with your statement: 44A is 528W. That would be that your PSU cannot be a 500W.

What PSU do you have?

The Corsair 450HX will not be enough for a GTX 280 or GTX 295. At most, the 450HX will only be able to handle a GTX 260 if Nvidia or HD4890 if ATI assuming no overclocking of the CPU.

I thought the 285's were supposed to be pretty good on power. At least that's what i was hoping. hehe. I could get a new PSU i suppose. Although this 450HX is brand new. It was my fault for not foreseeing the power needed. It's hard to shop for PSU's here because where i live in Taiwan the PSU market is flooded with chinese, no name brand PSU's. Sure it says it's 850W or 1000W but the things look so cheaply made. I finally found a corsair and bit on it.

I'm sure i can find a brand named PSU here though, i just didn't really check hard last time.

I definitely want to go with nvidia as I never really liked catalyst but i suppose i'll go with a more inexpensive GPU so i can fit a new PSU in with the purchase. As long as they can run the games as well as keep up with my monitor upgrade.

Yeah stick to Antec, Corsair, or PC P&C. Make sure that the PSU has at least 50A on the +12V rail (your PSU has 33A) if you want to OC the Core i7 and use a GTX 285. However, like I said earlier, you can use the GTX 260 with that PSU as long as you don't OC. The GTX 260 will be enough for a 24" monitor.

Back