• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

celiman80 said:
Toasty, I noticed the same thing too... no white glow at all. From angles, I noticed a slight red glow and green glow on black screens... I thought that was just a property of the IPS panel... Is that the polarizer?
Yes, that's due to the polarizer. Either that or there are two versions of the panel floating around, but the NEC monitors never have the white glow.

celiman80 said:
BLB is almost exactly like yours, but it has a little bit in the middle now. It seems to get worse as you leave it on longer... I think it must be a heating issue as I stated before (similar to the FHD2400)
I think it's a panel mounting issue. It's like the panel is not perfectly flat. There seems to be too much pressure on certain parts of the panel, which causes it to warp slightly. You can see this by pressing on various parts of the panel. Heat will move the warping around, but I don't think it's the cause. I haven't seen it get worse so far.

celiman80 said:
I have one pixel that is shifted slightly, and doesn't block light when black... but the pixel itself functions fine (all colors show up fine... just on darker colors it almost looks like a tiny spec of white dust... cant really be seen from 2 feet away).
I've seen that before. The first one actually had one. It was like there was a tiny hole in the panel that allowed the backlight to shine through. I've also seen that on PVA panels, so I guess it's just another one of those LCD things.



madgun said:
ToastyX where did you get your second doublesight monitor from?
I got both from buy.com. The first one shipped from California. The second one shipped from Tennessee.



verylostindeed said:
Are you sure about that? To be honest, I didn't realize the white glow until a couple of days after I had the panel. If your new model really has a A-TW polarizer, that should increase input lag, no?
I'm positive. I realized something was different within the first few minutes of using the monitor. The subtle red and green glow is a telltale sign of the polarizer. The ones that glow white don't turn red or green.

The polarizer is just a layer in the LCD sandwich that filters light. It doesn't have any effect on lag. The NEC monitors lag due to processing.
 
Yea, my order came from the Memphis, Tennessee warehouse (NewEgg)...

Toasty, the other day I was attempting to see if it was a frame issue, and I noticed the warping as well when I lightly applied pressure to the top right corner of the frame...

I don't have time to mess with it for a few weeks, but I wonder if loosening any screws would help? Perhaps the mounting screws for the stand are too tight? I didn't see any screws for the frame itself...

By the way I tried out Rock Band on this monitor... I set the input lag at 15 ms and it played fine... The FHD2400 had to be set much higher. :D
 
HOLY SHIAT. If i get one with a polarizer I will BE SO FREAKIN HAPPY. That was my only complaint. Holy crap. I just ordered it from buy.com
 
I considered buying one right now as well. The thing is, as far as I can tell, the only people who seem to have gotten the polarizer got their orders shipped from Tennessee. Makes me wonder if those are the only ones with it or not.
 
I just ordered one...I wonder if it's possible to request that your order be shipped from a specific warehouse? Think I'll call Buy.com and find out, unless someone knows with certainty that this isn't possible.

Also got an additional $10 off by using Google checkout.

edited to add: Buy.com rep said that requesting shipment from a specific warehouse isn't possible, so I guess it's luck of the draw here with ordering this monitor from Buy.com.
 
I highly doubt that it has to do with Tennessee specifically... I bought mine from NewEgg and others bought theirs from Buy.com... they aren't shipping from the same warehouse... so it may be a region thing... perhaps the east coast is buying the monitor more, and this is actually a newer revision we are receiving...

Has anyone called DoubleSight to ask about it?
 
or maybe toasty bought one of the first shipments and all the ones currently shipping have the polarizer (crosses fingers).
 
ToastyX is there any pixel shifting on your LCD. If you look at white text on a black background, do you see any flickering or shimmering?
 
celiman80 said:
I highly doubt that it has to do with Tennessee specifically... I bought mine from NewEgg and others bought theirs from Buy.com... they aren't shipping from the same warehouse... so it may be a region thing... perhaps the east coast is buying the monitor more, and this is actually a newer revision we are receiving...
Most online stores use the same few distributors, so they probably did ship from the same warehouse.



madgun said:
ToastyX is there any pixel shifting on your LCD. If you look at white text on a black background, do you see any flickering or shimmering?
I don't see anything like that.
 
ToastyX is there any pixel shifting on your LCD. If you look at white text on a black background, do you see any flickering or shimmering?

Try turning the sharpness down to 40 like Toasty said. The default 50 can cause some very subtle artifacts.

If that doesn't work, try the ClearType tuner on Microsoft's website.
 
Toasty,

How dramatic is the benefit from the polarizer? I have a few days left on my amazon return window, and I'm considering rolling the dice with a return to get one with the polarizer. My current panel has two stuck pixels and I definitely notice the white glow, particularly in the lower left corner. It's slightly annoying, but I'm still happy with the monitor over all; plus, it's got pretty minimal backlight bleed. Just wondering if it's worth it to bother taking a risk at the polarizer lottery but possibly end up with a panel that's worse overall.

Thanks for your contributions to the thread, btw, they've been extremely helpful.
 
with 2 stuck pixels and slight backlight bleed, i would take my chance. Who says its a lottery and not just a newer revision out. Maybe all the old revisions (or most of) are already sold, so all thats left is the newer models.. We just are not sure yet..... I would take the chance since you do not have a perfect panel anyways.....


Has anyone bought one of these monitors within the last WEEK or so and got one with the glow? Since it is a newish monitor though, its really hard to see whats going on here. Why there would be a new revision already.
 
hi.. i ordered my ds-263n from provantage about 2 weeks ago.. not sure which warehouse it came from as they had to ship it to ohio first since i'm in canada.. here's 2 pics of the lcd in the dark.. is this what i should be looking for regarding the polarizer? i see that the bottom left corner is reddish when viewed from the side

head on:

side:

is this what u guys are seeing with your lcd's as well?
 
H-IPS from diagonal angle: dark grey screen in darkness.
my.php
 
Mine's more subtle than that... But it could be thrown off due to the image on your screen.

Use UDPixel or something similar to make the screen solid black and then take the picture.
 
verylostindeed said:
How dramatic is the benefit from the polarizer? I have a few days left on my amazon return window, and I'm considering rolling the dice with a return to get one with the polarizer. My current panel has two stuck pixels and I definitely notice the white glow, particularly in the lower left corner. It's slightly annoying, but I'm still happy with the monitor over all; plus, it's got pretty minimal backlight bleed. Just wondering if it's worth it to bother taking a risk at the polarizer lottery but possibly end up with a panel that's worse overall.
The polarizer helps contrast visually even though it measures about the same. It eliminates the haze. I would rather have some backlight bleeding than the white glow because the white glow is much stronger from a normal viewing distance.



supapuffy said:
That's the white glow. The red glow with the polarizer is much fainter and is actually red, not reddish white.
 
ToastyX is there any pixel shifting on your LCD. If you look at white text on a black background, do you see any flickering or shimmering?

Unfortunately I see this on my monitor.

On the Lagom Inversion (pixel-walk) test I can see very evident and fast paced flickering on image 4A and I also notice slight pixel walk type flickering in solid color images, which is what they describe in the test.

Strong flicker indicates that the voltages in the monitor are misadjusted. Unfortunately, this is probably not something you can adjust by yourself. In practical situations, a visible flicker here means that plain colors show "pixel walk" when watched from close-by.

As the test indicates, I don't think there is anything I can do to fix it (I already have the Sharpness set to 40% and tried the clear type fixer program).

Is anyone else seeing this same defect?
If not, it's probably worth it for me to try a return in the hopes of getting one that doesn't have this issue.
 
I don't see it with white text on black backgrounds... But I do see flickering on some of the so called test images...

If I move the boxes around the screen, at certain points it does flicker where as at others it doesn't. If I get close to the monitor and focus on it with both eyes or a single eye, it disappears. If I view it through my peripheral vision, i see it flicker. I think a lot of it though is due to an optical illusion with the pattern.

The optical illusion I am referring to I cannot find... but here is one very similar...

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/ang_hering/index.html

I've seen this one and the other one I am actually referring to on a crt and it does it too... it's supposed to flicker like that. I think it is due to the slight muscle movements of your eyes and the nature of the pattern.
 
Image 4a or 4b is supposed to flicker on this monitor. That's normal. All LCD monitors have a certain pattern that will cause it to flicker. The point of that test is to trigger the flicker to see how strong it is. Light flicker is normal. If the flicker is very strong, then the voltages are misadjusted, and the inversion pattern would be easy to see in solid colors (pixel-walk). I can see pixel-walk on every LCD monitor, but it should be barely visible on this monitor. If the flicker is very strong and you find the pixel-walk easy to see, then you should get it replaced.

None of that would affect white text on a black background though.
 
I believe I got one with the Polarizer as well. I've had it for a week.

I'm a reseller and order from a HUGE distributor (one of the big 3). I think only one other of the big three have them as well.

I found that pic of the earth on the web last night ToastyX uses. Looked at it full screen on the DoubleSight and an old 17" Acer. Night and day :)

I'll take a pic.

When I move around at extreme angles looking at the pic I can see a slight red and and slight green in areas.
 
Thanks Toasty.

I think the flicker is bad enough on my monitor to get it replaced.
I've been getting some eye strain using my monitor and I think it might be because of this. It reminded me of how I am sensitive to the flicker caused by low refresh rates on CRTs (60 Hz or lower causes eye strain, but 85 Hz is fine for me).

I'm listing what I see in the inversion test incase anyone else has similar issues.

Image 1 and 2b - greenish discoloration in the bottom left of the image, but no noticeable flicker
Image 2a - strong flicker noticeable at any viewing distance
Image 3 and 4b - noticeable pixel walk that looks like waves going up the screen
Image 4a - very strong flicker noticable at any viewing distance
Image 5 - slight flicker
Image 6a - no noticeable flicker or discoloration issues

The flickering is much worse in these test images than on my old 19" TN monitor, and I can notice the pixel walk easily on some single colored areas and slightly on other single colored areas.
I don't notice it with white text on dark backgrounds, however.
 
The greenish discoloration with certain pixel patterns is normal for this panel. I've seen it on the NEC 2690 also. Image 2a or 2b should not have strong flicker though. That's definitely a sign that the voltages are way off on yours. You should get it replaced.

I do see very faint waves on 3 and 4a, but nothing I'd ever encounter during normal use. 5 shouldn't flicker either.
 
Interesting discovery about the polarizer. But how do you guys know this is actually a new revision? There are any number of possibilities:

a) DS made an initial small batch using the polarizer in order to get inflated reviews on a new/unknown monitor.
b) The demand for the cheaper panel was higher so they substituted a higher-end panel (maybe from NEC) until supply catches up.
c) The usual panel lottery that you get on any cheap monitor.
d) Mixup at the factory.
e) etc..

I think those of you with the polarizer should compare serial numbers and/or production dates to see if there is any pattern. Congrats to those that got the better panel!
 
ToastyX,

Did your calibration change much from your original ICC? I'm using the one you posted currently.
 
well the initial batch didnt have the polarizer, so I guess they could of made a bath within last 2 weeks or so with the polarizer for review purposes?

I dont think a lottery would make sense here since they both use the same panel.
 
Well, mine doesn't have the polarizer. Ordered from buy.com and it shipped on 3/11 from a warehouse in Pennsylvania (according to FedEx). My panel is otherwise perfect - no dead pixels, minimal backlight bleed - but I'm disappointed that I didn't one with the polarizer. The white glow is definitely noticeable (to the point of being a bit distracting) when the monitor is viewed from an angle.
 
I am getting a replacement monitor directly from DoubleSight today. I will post later tonight and let everyone know if it has the polarizer. My original monitor did not have it.
 
My replacement DS-263n is here. (No apparent defects!) It doesn't seem to have the white glow anymore, whereas the last one did. Viewed from an angle, it has what I would call a magenta shift on black screens. It's not noticeable in normal use.

My question: how sure can you be that this is because of a polarizing film as opposed to a completely different panel? I would almost expect something like this from a PVA panel, although I don't think this is one. Any way to confirm?

BTW if you pull off the cord-covering panel in the back and look at the back of it, you can see lots of info including date produced and various things like LG HI-121H and CHI MEI PA756. Turns out that this is really just info about the plastic used on this part--not about the panels.
 
My question: how sure can you be that this is because of a polarizing film as opposed to a completely different panel? I would almost expect something like this from a PVA panel, although I don't think this is one. Any way to confirm?

That's a good question. Are there *VA panels in this size?
 
I think VA are 24" and then go to 27". Easy way to confirm though, does the left side of the screen look brighter or different than the rest? This would be noticeable straight on. When you move your head around does the colors change drastically? Feel any input lag? Does it have the same controls as before?

I seriously doubt its anything but a IPS panel with a polarizer. Buy.com says its an IPS panel
 
My replacement DS-263n is here. (No apparent defects!) It doesn't seem to have the white glow anymore, whereas the last one did. Viewed from an angle, it has what I would call a magenta shift on black screens. It's not noticeable in normal use.

If you don't mind me asking, what state are you in and where did the display ship from?
 
If you don't mind me asking, what state are you in and where did the display ship from?

I'm in Colorado. I handled my exchange directly with DoubleSight, not buy.com, so it came straight from them--or rather straight from whatever customer-relations fulfillment outsourcing company they use. I will check the label when I get home tonight and see if it says where it came from geographically.
 
I just called the DoubleSight customer support line and asked about the polarizer. The rep I talked to didn't know anything about it, but he said he would call an engineer to ask about it and get back with me. We'll see what happens.
 
Hey guys I have a quick question, I can easily see the white glow on the apple 23" and the first doublesight that toasty had but thats from an angle. when viewed straight on does the doublesight look the same regardless if it has the polarizer or not. Im just wondering at how much of an angle the white glow really starts to become apparent like that cause it would really seem to bother me too.
 
Back
Top