DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

I've tried placing the monitor anywhere between 3 and 4 feet away as my desk allows, give or take a few inches. It doesn't really seem to matter. I used all the settings suggested here, including the profile at first. I have not applied the profile since having the system built because I don't feel like it gave me an improvement. I may still use it down the road but it is not a factor when it comes to the eye strain. I've varied brightness between 0 and the recommended 12.5. It doesn't appear to be that either. There is something more that I don't understand going on here I think, and given some comments on this thread I am wondering if I am not using a returned monitor that has voltage problems or something along those lines.

I already am talking to newegg about it given the way it shipped, but I want to explore every option and see what the best course of action is before progressing any further.

Are the lagom inversion tests really messed up? It would be too bad to have to return the monitor over something like that, but if it hurts your eyes it can't be the right monitor for you.

What are you viewing when your eyes start hurting? If it's text, there's probably some setting that can be adjusted that will help. If it's images, I wouldn't know what the problem might be. Hopefully someone else gets here because I know very little about eye strain..
 
It is everything in a hard to pin-down way. The inversion test shows a bit of flicker on the #4 images, and 3, 4a and 4b all have a red tint, which maybe is normal. That I don't know. It bears mentioning that those images do not always flicker, but the screen gets more "intense" I guess the longer I leave it on. It has been on now for 7 or so hours and it's flickering, though I did not test it this morning.

On the white saturation test, I can get the last couple boxes to show if I turn the contrast *up*, but that makes all the boxes turn purple the higher contrast goes. Contrast is effectively useless beyond 50%.

I get slight banding on the gradient test, but nothing terrible.

All I can really tell you is that my eyes start getting tired almost immediately upon starting to use this screen for any application. Can any experts point me to a more definitive test lineup, or perhaps diagnose my problem?
 
I'm still selling my brand new DS-263N 26" monitor if anyone is interested It has zero dead pixels and has the polarizing filter built in. There is no "white glow" and the picture is absolutely perfect. There is less than 10 hours of time on it (it's one week old). I will include the color profile I made from my Spyder 3 on disk with purchase. I just decided to keep my SOYO 24" monitor instead to save some money (I'm getting married).

If interested PM me or email me at kirkswanson@hotmail.com. I will include the Newegg invoice as well. Price is: $635 shipped(total) or $610 pickup in Massachusetts.

The monitor was just sold, thanks for everyone's interest.
 
PCNation has this monitor in stock for $695.11 shipped. Anyone bought from there before? Are they shipping monitors with the polarizing filter?
The best price I have found was $680 at buy.com but they are out of stock, so this price doesn't seem too bad. Was $680 the best price this monitor has been sold for?

Thanks,
RCraig
 
I noticed PCNation has them in stock as well. However their return policy looks a little iffy:

** All items being returned for a refund or exchanged for a non-identical item are subject to a 15% return processing fee. Minimum return-processing fee for any refund or credit is $15.00

So that's $104.27 if you choose to return it. Why return it? Who knows but I like to have the option. Apparently you can exchange it and perhaps avoid the fee:

** Most defective products (except computers, printers and software) may be returned for repair or replacement only, at PCNation's discretion, within 30 days of the invoice date. PCNation will not charge a return-processing fee of any kind when a defective item is repaired or replaced with the identical item.

Of course even though that is their written policy, it does not mean they may not make exceptions. I would also like to hear from anyone that has purchased from PCNation.
 
I have an oddity to add to my report/questions... Whenever my computer starts showing a screensaver on my new monitor, Windows begins beeping, not unlike but not identical to the "new hardware detected" sound. When the monitor starts to hibernate, the sound changes to the exact "new hardware detected" sound, and the frequency increases to every 1-4 seconds. I can't tell what is happening, because as soon as I move the mouse to wake my computer up, the sound stops and no sign remains. If I turn off the monitor during either of these phases I've mentioned, the beeping stops completely then as well.

I just now discovered that the monitor resets some of its settings to default (contrast and green offset this time) when it goes into standby mode as well. I'm not sure what to make of this.

I'm now trying setting the contrast much lower to see if that helps the eye strain. While it has some merits for text-use, the problem remains, and feels much like it did while my phase was wrong on the VGA connection, only with about half that intensity. Half intensity is still very challenging to deal with.

Any help?
 
I noticed PCNation has them in stock as well. However their return policy looks a little iffy:

** All items being returned for a refund or exchanged for a non-identical item are subject to a 15% return processing fee. Minimum return-processing fee for any refund or credit is $15.00

So that's $104.27 if you choose to return it. Why return it? Who knows but I like to have the option. Apparently you can exchange it and perhaps avoid the fee:

** Most defective products (except computers, printers and software) may be returned for repair or replacement only, at PCNation's discretion, within 30 days of the invoice date. PCNation will not charge a return-processing fee of any kind when a defective item is repaired or replaced with the identical item.

Of course even though that is their written policy, it does not mean they may not make exceptions. I would also like to hear from anyone that has purchased from PCNation.


Not a bad rating on RSR....

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/PCNation
 
I've purchased non-monitor computer hardware from PCNation some time ago (somewhere 2000-2005). The stuff I bought arrived as expected with no issues, so I didn't try their customer service. I can't give a ringing endorsement, but they've been around a little while and they aren't a rip-off shop or bait-and-switch specialists in my experience.
 
I have an oddity to add to my report/questions... Whenever my computer starts showing a screensaver on my new monitor, Windows begins beeping, not unlike but not identical to the "new hardware detected" sound. When the monitor starts to hibernate, the sound changes to the exact "new hardware detected" sound, and the frequency increases to every 1-4 seconds. I can't tell what is happening, because as soon as I move the mouse to wake my computer up, the sound stops and no sign remains. If I turn off the monitor during either of these phases I've mentioned, the beeping stops completely then as well.

I just now discovered that the monitor resets some of its settings to default (contrast and green offset this time) when it goes into standby mode as well. I'm not sure what to make of this.

I'm now trying setting the contrast much lower to see if that helps the eye strain. While it has some merits for text-use, the problem remains, and feels much like it did while my phase was wrong on the VGA connection, only with about half that intensity. Half intensity is still very challenging to deal with.

Any help?

Contrast is basically useless both above and below 50%.

I don't know what to make of the Windows beeps. Sounds like a Windows problem, but if it's at all related to the monitor it's definitely defective. And if it's resetting options in standby mode, it sounds like it's definitely defective. Bring it up with newegg and get it returned.
 
Have you connected your lcd's usb hub to your PC. The header of the usb cable provided by doublesight is a bit loose so even the slightest of motion can sometimes cause the hub to be disconnected and thus you hear that sound. I wouldn't really worry about it.
 
Have you connected your lcd's usb hub to your PC. The header of the usb cable provided by doublesight is a bit loose so even the slightest of motion can sometimes cause the hub to be disconnected and thus you hear that sound. I wouldn't really worry about it.

I wonder if the monitor is powering off the USB hub, or at least powering it down enough so it looses the connection so it has to reconnect again? If others aren't reporting this though, I would definitely think it is a defect and worry about the longevity of the monitor or it's power supply.
 
I'm not using USB, and nothing ever disconnects until the screen saver pops. Today the noise didn't happen when the screensaver appeared, but yesterday it happened 2 out of 2 times. I didn't get to the point where the system went into standby mode today so I don't know if that too is intermittent.

This is really a secondary problem. I'm running with 25% contrast today to see if that alleviates my visual issues, but it isn't. I am pretty convinced something is wrong with my panel, but I don't have LCD experience to pin down exactly what is wrong, other than that it feels hard to look at in the same way it did when the phase was off.

Colors are good (when contrast is more normal especially), images are crisp, motion seems as it should be... but the screen is just hard to look at. I want to look away or shut my eyes far more than I should, and this all happens within the first 5 or fewer minutes of use.

Here's another possibly meaningless observation... if I look at the glare (from house windows) on the screen when it is off or dark, it is apparent that the monitor pane is not entirely flat. There are sections where the light cuts off as it would when the angle changes on the surface. Normal?

With my daily tests I'm getting more and more confident that my screen is defective... the next question is, do I talk to Newegg about it or Doublesight? If I return to Newegg, won't I run the same risk again? It's odd that everyone was out of stock except for them if you think about it.
 
The beeping issue is definitely coming from the usb. I find it strange that the monitor looks difficult to look at because I have observed that this monitor has been the easiest on my eyes due to the crisp picture and bigger text size.
 
With my daily tests I'm getting more and more confident that my screen is defective... the next question is, do I talk to Newegg about it or Doublesight? If I return to Newegg, won't I run the same risk again? It's odd that everyone was out of stock except for them if you think about it.

It sounds like you do have a bad display. I would exchange it through NewEgg without question if I were having the issues you have described.
 
Ugh, I'm so torn on this monitor. I want to order it, but I'm just so worried that I'm not going to get a good one. For $700, I really don't think I should have to worry about build quality issues or feature lotteries.
 
This might be a $700 display but it's still the IPS equivalent of the 2nd tier brand TN. The price comes down to IPS being significantly harder to make and the economy of scale not being there.
 
It sounds like you do have a bad display. I would exchange it through NewEgg without question if I were having the issues you have described.

Well if the defect is very apparent and you can show it in pictures deal with DS, if not go strait to NewEgg and explain in detail the issues, they were very helpfull to me.

Moto
 
Yeah, I doubt an image would make any difference at all. If you've experienced an out of phase monitor, everything looks right but still hurts... this problem is like that. I plan to see if I can use a friend's LCD for a bit in a couple days to make sure it isn't a personal issue just in case.
 
Has anyone learned more about HDCP snags with this monitor?

If you have had problems, have solutions been found (from DoubleSight tech support, or elsewhere?)

I am looking to order once these get back in stock... original estimates put them in this week, but, now I read it could be longer.

Hoping to hook this up to the computer on one port and a Philips DVDR3575H/3576HDD/DVDR tuner-recorder-burner. Has anyone tried that, by chance?
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic349041.html
 
Can anyone recommend the best way or best solutions to clean this monitor. I got my first look at this monitor yesterday after it arrived for me and at first glance i noticed what may or may not be dead pixels in about 15-20 locations around the monitor but not in any localized area but I'm thinking it might just be dust specs or something. I can only make out definitely one 1 stuck pixel and I've already ran JscreenFix on it for a good hour and it wouldn't go away. Is there any other sort of similar application I could run to get rid of stuck or dead pixels. I'm really not used to inspecting for stuck or dead pixels as this is my first ever LCD display. I called Doublesight tech support and was wondering if they offered cross shipping in case I were to get it replaced and they said no, but I thought someone said they got cross shipping from Doublesight on this monitor or am I mistaken and they meant the retailer offered the cross shipping? Otherwise I love this monitor. I'm using the ToastyX profile with brightness set to 0. The black levels look real good to me personally. I ordered it from buy.com but I'm already past the 14 day return window so I could only go through Doublesight if i wanted to get a replacement right?

Edit: Ok I was able to clean my monitor and now notice just 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel . I've read that it can help to tap or put pressure manually on the defective pixel area to try to get it to return to its normal state http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor Would you guys recommend I do this or is it too much of a risk I might damage the rest of the display.
 
I never ever have gotten a dead or even a stuck pixel to be fixed... I believe DS has a 3 pixel return policy if the pixels are in the center and 4 everywhere else.
 
I never ever have gotten a dead or even a stuck pixel to be fixed... I believe DS has a 3 pixel return policy if the pixels are in the center and 4 everywhere else.

The policy is actually seven or more defective pixels.

http://www.doublesight.com/support/returnpolicy.php


I just received my new replacement unit, and this one only has one defective pixel. The first one i ordered from Newegg had none at first but within a four week period about 12 pixels had become defective. Doublesight swiftly sent me a new unit after receiving my defective LCD. Doublesight has great customer service, and a great RMA process.
 
The policy is actually seven or more defective pixels.

http://www.doublesight.com/support/returnpolicy.php


I just received my new replacement unit, and this one only has one defective pixel. The first one i ordered from Newegg had none at first but within a four week period about 12 pixels had become defective. Doublesight swiftly sent me a new unit after receiving my defective LCD. Doublesight has great customer service, and a great RMA process.

Thx for letting us know thats good to hear. The 2 bad pixels dont seem to bother me much at all. Now that I've used this monitor for a full day now its the 500cd/m^2 brightness that really seems to be its biggest weakness even with the brightness set to 0. Like many here have said before its burning my retinas i can only use it for 2-3 hours at a time before i need to take a short break. I wish the planar/doublesight panels had the 400cd/m^2 brightness the NEC 2690 has.
 
All I can say is to make sure your eye fatigue is brightness-based. You can turn down the contrast to reduce the brightness basically to test this out. That's what I did, and it made absolutely no difference in fatigue levels.
 
Hi on day 2 with my 263n. Love the size the view angles and have a stuck pixel in the center but i don't care. Problem is this was a newegg open box and i think for a reason. In all photos and movies everything is muddy and blotchy. It is this grey/green muddyness in dark areas of the pictures. I have tried different computers, dvi and vga, and have used every combination of monitor settings and computer calibration settings and its always the same..........mud.
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1803.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
any input is helpful.
 
They used to have a great RMA policy... With no cross shipping on this model now, replacement takes a while.

I shipped my defective monitor back to them last Tuesday, 22 April, after a couple days waiting to hear from them about my pics and RMA approval. They received the monitor Friday morning. The replacement didn't ship until Tuesday this week, it's supposed to be delivered this Friday. From the first contact, this has taken three weeks.

If they offered cross shipping, I'd have had my replacement by last Friday easily even with ground shipping.

With this computer build, I had a bad eVGA vid card, and a bad Zalman fan controller in addition to the monitor issue. I had my replacement eVGA card in four days, and Newegg replaced the fan controller in a week turnaround.

Though doublesight support was polite and professional, I'm a little disappointed they wouldn't cross ship as I sent them pictures for RMA approval, so they knew it was a legitimate issue. Having to secure another monitor for the time being is also a hassle.
 
Sometimes tiny dust particles stick to the screen and people might consider them as red stuck pixels. Make sure you clean that area first before presuming that the Lcd has a dead pixel.
 
A quick note on PCNation (someone asked a couple of pages ago about how they are as a vendor) - I bought a Garmin NUVI GPS unit from them last summer and it arrived in short order, but turned out to be DOA. They would not cross-ship, but otherwise the RMA was pain free and they took care of the identical unit replacement without any additional expense to me. That's my only experience with them, but from it I feel comfortable recommending them.
 
@ patohi -

I ordered and received a DS-263N from Newegg back in mid April, fully aware of their less than stellar return policy in regards to LCDs. Box arrived in great condition, but when I pulled the LCD out of the packaging I immediatly noticed that there seemed to be fit/finish issue. The plastic rear shell housing was not completly sealed to the front bezel piece. When looking at the top joint seam (about 4-6 inches right from center) it appeared as though the internal clips were not lined up. This created a good 1/8" bulge in the casing, tapering over about 8 inches or so, and also creating a gap in that section. It looked like one might be able to "pop" it back into place, but I decided to test the monitor first.

After power up I found one stuck green sub-pixel pretty much dead center. I mention these QC issues because I ended up RMAing the panel to Newegg, and I'm a bit suspicious that you might have gotten my return...

Mainly because the biggest problem I had was the awful gamma/contrast/brightness issue (I'm no LCD expert) that was redily apparent in movies, games, and still photos. The problem looked a whole lot like your posted pics, where the darks washed out in gradiants almost ending up similar to photogaphic negatives. I fiddled with both of the DVI inputs, checked all the OSD menues, checked this thread for clues, loaded ToastyX's ICC profile, tried a myriad of brightness/contrast settings, but could not correct it.

My original setup used a known good nVidia 8800GTS (G92), but I tried it on 2 other systems in the house using both a 7800GTX, and an ATI 3870, but to no avail...

Anyway, if you notice the problem I described for the casing and/or that in combination with a stuck green sub-pixel, you might have the one I returned, though that sure doesn't sound like something Newegg would do as mine was clearly RMA'ed as defective for QC and what I called control electronics problems.

In the end, Newegg just refunded my money since they were out of stock for replacement by the time I sent mine back. Sad though as I had indicated replacement, and therefore got to pay return shipping and deal with that hassle of repacking and toting to UPS, all for the pleasure of troubleshooting a defective monitor for a day.

Still, besides these recent patohi picture posts, and my personal experience, from everything I've researched I am still in hopes of picking one of these up (one that works as well as for others) when reputable dealers have them in stock again.
 
Okay, got the replacement direct from Doublesight.

No flaws, two stuck pixels against white background that resolved with a little massage.

No white glare like the original. Get a slight red glow to the left, slight green glow to the right, so I guess this may be a polarized one. Just a little less bright than the original.

Very happy with this monitor, happy with Doublesight support with the exception of no cross shipping on this model. Had I not had the issue with the tear in the liquid crystal layer with the original monitor, I would have been happy with that one as well.

Great monitor for the price.
 
Hey Tool727! I agree your monitor sucks!
lol
I can't believe they sent it back out! It is hard to tell if you are surfing the web or using the desktop but photos or movies is just so so sad to watch. So i got my RMA have to pay for #@$@!&$ shipping and I told them to not send this monitor back out and run video and pictures on this thing to see why. I told them I ran into you on a forum as well and said you told them it was broken. I have bought openbox stuff from them before and had no problems. O well kinda funny this whole thing..... I still want this monitor tho....... Guess i will have to wait for the restocking of new displays.
 
Okay, got the replacement direct from Doublesight.

No flaws, two stuck pixels against white background that resolved with a little massage.

No white glare like the original. Get a slight red glow to the left, slight green glow to the right, so I guess this may be a polarized one. Just a little less bright than the original.

Very happy with this monitor, happy with Doublesight support with the exception of no cross shipping on this model. Had I not had the issue with the tear in the liquid crystal layer with the original monitor, I would have been happy with that one as well.

Great monitor for the price.

If you can't tell if your monitor has a polarizer from the glow, put on a pair of shades and look at it from different angles. If it has the polarizer, you'll see a black shadow moving with your head. If it doesn't, like my 20wmgx2, it will just look like you're wearing sunglasses.

(Doing this abuses charisma so don't let anyone see you.)
 
They used to have a great RMA policy... With no cross shipping on this model now, replacement takes a while.

I shipped my defective monitor back to them last Tuesday, 22 April, after a couple days waiting to hear from them about my pics and RMA approval. They received the monitor Friday morning. The replacement didn't ship until Tuesday this week, it's supposed to be delivered this Friday. From the first contact, this has taken three weeks.

They received my defective unit last week Tuesday, and shipped the new replacement the same day within a matter of hours out, and I got my new unit on Monday. They shipped DHL ground. The new unit has the polarizer and one pink stuck pixel in the middle/right of the screen. I may massage the pixel to see if I can get it to work. Its so great, not to have the white glow anymore. The RMA process for me took 12 days including weekends.

I didn't have to take pictures, my defective unit had over 10 stuck pixels.
 
Back
Top