Double Power Supply

I'm chosen to continue using thermaltake power supplies and went with the 1200w toughpower. @ 99amps. Probably not that I needed one this high however I can't see it being a problem as I might pair some additional items into the mix. I'm now planning to run multiple drive array probably around 6x 2tb hard drives mirrored. I'm also planning to hook up an external e-sata 2tb drive for on the go files.

Now I just need to get a board and processor and deffinitly a big enough case :D

You could have picked a better PSU, but the Thermaltake is a decent choice.

You could have picked a better PSU, but the Thermaltake is a decent choice.

Well.. I was just on Corsair's website and their Obsidian Series 800D case seems to catch my eye for the moment. I like to build my rigs around the company I get the case from. I went over to Thermaltake and they don't really have a case that I like. I don't want a window version ( I have one and the window tends to such if your moving it a lot ). I don't like glossy either. The most important aspect is the case must be solid! No cheap metals.

In short, I canceled my order for the Thermaltake power supply as when I seen the Corsiar 850w you mentioned.. I didn't look to see the other psu's they carry. That HX1000 looks wonderful altho I'm not a modular fan.. that could always change.

Last edited:
Thermaltake has a lot of mediocre or bad PSUs. Their only good stuff is the Toughpower line, and out of those the only ones I would consider to be very good are the 1000W and 1200W models. Even those are not the best though. Some better choices would be the Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W or Revolution85+ 1050W, BFG LS-1000 and LS-1200, Ikonik Vulcan 1200W, Silverstone OP1000-P, Zeus 1200W, and Strider 1200W, and probably others.

I should create a build thread.. perhaps I will get moved to that section..

Ram wise.. I'm stuck between the goodness of Corsair & Crusial

Okay that sounds easy to me than lol. Here is the best that they carry..

CMG6GX3M3A2000C7 PC3-16000 6GB Kit 7-8-7-20 240pin DIMM

Back in I think it was 2004 ( I can't really remember now ) I had built the system that is in my sig, of course changes where made along the way. It's still very useful to me but I would like a change as it's getting slower to use. With high definition and compression / decompression becoming the a time consuming event... Plus this would be the brains of my data storage. I'm going to also hold off on those video cards as they are getting pretty close to the number 300.. :D

Okay that sounds easy to me than lol. Here is the best that they carry..

CMG6GX3M3A2000C7 PC3-16000 6GB Kit 7-8-7-20 240pin DIMM

Don't bother with any Dominator RAM. They are rarely worth the costs. Just go for the cheapest Corsair DDR3 1600 or DDR3 1333 if you're not overclocking you can find.

Back in I think it was 2004 ( I can't really remember now ) I had built the system that is in my sig, of course changes where made along the way. It's still very useful to me but I would like a change as it's getting slower to use. With high definition and compression / decompression becoming the a time consuming event... Plus this would be the brains of my data storage. I'm going to also hold off on those video cards as they are getting pretty close to the number 300.. :D

I've been told that the Radeon HD5k series will be out long before the Geforce 300 series. Some rumors are that TSMC is having such trouble producing the GT300 in sufficient quantities that you wont see mass availabillity until Q1 2010. Understandably thats all rumors, but whats pretty concrete is the HD5870's specs will debut on the 10th of september this year. So I'd wait for that.

That single-rail stuff is BS. With modern PSUs, the number of rails is 99% irrelevant.

You are right.... but only if the PSU is powering the WHOLE system.

But you are WRONG WRONG WRONG if the PSU dedicates rails to powering the video cards, and you instead use a different PSU to power the video cards. If you do not use the main PSU to power the video cards, then the power dedicated to video card rails is wasted. It's not rocket science. Go back and re-read my WHOLE post.

You are right.... but only if the PSU is powering the WHOLE system.

But you are WRONG WRONG WRONG if the PSU dedicates rails to powering the video cards, and you instead use a different PSU to power the video cards. If you do not use the main PSU to power the video cards, then the power dedicated to video card rails is wasted. It's not rocket science. Go back and re-read my WHOLE post.
If the rails dedicated to the PCI-E connectors aren't used, then the PSU just won't be loaded on those rails. The power isn't "wasted" if it simply isn't being used. Also, most multi-rail PSUs have the OCP set so that the other rails can be loaded more if one of them is unloaded.

already chose a power supply now. aswell the nice case. I'm looking at some motherboards and processors being reviewed..

already chose a power supply now. aswell the nice case. I'm looking at some motherboards and processors being reviewed..

You canceled the TT, so what now? Corsair 1000HX?
If you're going top kit, I'm thinking i7 975 Extreme Edition + EVGA Classified.

Except that would be a total waste of money.

Because they're not high quality parts?

We're talking about a guy who wants a 1000W PSU and 3xGTX 295 here to power 6 monitors.

You'd probably consider all of the above 'a total waste of money' but that's what he's building.

Either make your own or find it cheap as you can.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=21193
You get the idea, greens go together.

That answers your question.

Now I'd like to comment that 2x1200W wouldn't work in the same room if you're in a house. You cannot run both of those PSUs on the same circuit. And everyone else has already mentioned that is an absurd amount of power for a computer. What are you doing? Or you just want to buy the largest PSUs you can and waste their potential?

Awesome link. Two 500W's put together would be GREAT

Because they're not high quality parts?
No, because they're extremely overpriced. The Classified at least warrants the price for people who really require that kind of a motherboard. However, there's no justification for the cost of the 975 aside from e-peen.

Back