Dota 2 Official Thread

You can't just unequip the weather effect?
I didn't have any issues with this

anyway, the game performs a lot better on weaker machines which is a plus. Obviously any half-decent rig can max everything but a lot of my friends are getting much higher framerates on higher settings than they used to use.

Also the input *is* slightly crisper, it feels good.

You can't just unequip the weather effect?
I didn't have any issues with this

anyway, the game performs a lot better on weaker machines which is a plus. Obviously any half-decent rig can max everything but a lot of my friends are getting much higher framerates on higher settings than they used to use.

Also the input *is* slightly crisper, it feels good.

No, it doesn't look like anything is equipable or unequipable.

I've had a blast playing the overthrow custom game. The only downside is that it takes 10 tries to actually make it into a game because so many people don't load. There are definitely bugs as well.

I've had a blast playing the overthrow custom game. The only downside is that it takes 10 tries to actually make it into a game because so many people don't load. There are definitely bugs as well.

thing is, most hosts arent actually hosting. they are afk and the game asigns them as hosts. so private lobby is the way to go for now.

im sticking to vanilla dota. still got 5 or so heroes to play for the compendium challenge and the quest challenges are fun as well.

so i just had this intense 80 min game. our team was basically no hard carry vs their team with razor and CK. we dominated them early, pushed down everything to their base. only they had a techies too, which broke our neck. no way of winning the game when the techies is farmed. in the end all barracks were down but one and they won off a push after we wiped trying to get the last rax. techies is bullshit is what im saying. makes a team with NO skill win the game, even though they didnt deserve it

I need to try Techies then. I keep getting on horrible teams. I can't even carry them if I'm having a good game. So maybe Techies is the key to winning....

i mean, techies just enables a team to win when they shouldnt. its not a good concept for a video game. granted, most of the time, the techies is shit, but if he gets an aghanims at a reasonable time, there is nothing you can do, as the mines become invisible. we had gem, sentries, necrobook 3 on 4 heroes. game was stalled for so long until their shitty CK and razor came online.

I need to try Techies then. I keep getting on horrible teams. I can't even carry them if I'm having a good game. So maybe Techies is the key to winning....

likely cause your team to loose, there is a reason you don't see many pro teams ever pick techies.

so i just had this intense 80 min game. our team was basically no hard carry vs their team with razor and CK. we dominated them early, pushed down everything to their base. only they had a techies too, which broke our neck. no way of winning the game when the techies is farmed. in the end all barracks were down but one and they won off a push after we wiped trying to get the last rax. techies is bullshit is what im saying. makes a team with NO skill win the game, even though they didnt deserve it

sounds like you just got tired and stopped thinking.

i mean, techies just enables a team to win when they shouldnt. its not a good concept for a video game. granted, most of the time, the techies is shit, but if he gets an aghanims at a reasonable time, there is nothing you can do, as the mines become invisible. we had gem, sentries, necrobook 3 on 4 heroes. game was stalled for so long until their shitty CK and razor came online.

The mines are not invisible, only those near the mine field sign are with aghs. The rest are not. First, don't worry about taking lanes of rax in the super late game, focus your efforts towards the ancient. Also take roshan get an extra life, make sure you have buyback. You didn't think clearly on how to win the game. You literally could have all had teleport boots then died, Buy back into the game, tp back to their base, and hey your brute force method would now work, because you cleared the mines.

I'm guessing your in the Sub 3k mmr bracket.

The mines are not invisible, only those near the mine field sign are with aghs. The rest are not. First, don't worry about taking lanes of rax in the super late game, focus your efforts towards the ancient. Also take roshan get an extra life, make sure you have buyback. You didn't think clearly on how to win the game. You literally could have all had teleport boots then died, Buy back into the game, tp back to their base, and hey your brute force method would now work, because you cleared the mines.

nah man. the main problem was our lineup. jakiro, centaur, lina, kotl, silencer. we had one dude who dealt good damage in the silencer, we had one tank in the centaur. we did roshan like 5 times and couldnt crack it. the buyback stuff was an issue, granted. i had buyback saved, but my team mostly didnt.

by the hour mark they had a 20k gold lead on us. we had no way of killing the CK twice.

i dont play ranked but i had my MMR calibrated via a tool someone posted on reddit and it came in at 3.6k

edit: the CK had heart satanic bkb. too much HP and as i said, our lineup had no way of killing the illusions, so at times we killed him, but then lost kotl and lina to the illusions alone.
also: didnt help that our lina sucked so hard.
also2: techies had an octarine core, meaning he could place mines every 7.5 seconds.

Last edited:
Well I mean it's hard to judge a game without seeing it, but you sound like you were crushing early. So your team just failed to end the game early. Your line up is pretty good against illusion based heroes. Liquid fire, kotl blast, lina etc all should make short work of a any illusion army. I suppose once the CK gets bkb, heart, and life steal he is going to be hard to take down.

Just another game of Dota. 3600 is not terrible. I play ranked a lot, I am 5k solo, and 4.6k party.

Well I mean it's hard to judge a game without seeing it, but you sound like you were crushing early. So your team just failed to end the game early. Your line up is pretty good against illusion based heroes. Liquid fire, kotl blast, lina etc all should make short work of a any illusion army. I suppose once the CK gets bkb, heart, and life steal he is going to be hard to take down.

Just another game of Dota. 3600 is not terrible. I play ranked a lot, I am 5k solo, and 4.6k party.

4k hp and liquid fire does nothing, even my ult as jakiro did too little damage to be noticable

i only play single draft, thats when you get teams like that sometimes
xD

TI5 caster/personality announcements going out

Getting hyped for the event :) only like 6 weeks left

I hate this game. And I love it.

This game is shit for pub play. Hell even when I five stack with friends we still bitch and can't get a competent team picked half the time.

It is poorly balance and broken for general gamers. Any hero that has to be countered at the pick screen or with superior team cohesion is just plain broke dick.

The game is tops in the esport realm though. I will be watching the international as always.

I have figured out the magic MMR to escape jerk-offs. Once you hit 3700 the flaming falls off a lot. Up to 3700 I always had ragers on my team screaming and yelling, without fail it was every game. Once you get past 3700 it's actually rare to have someone bitching and cussing at you for having a bad game. I just lost a 55 minute game because my Void couldn't carry and fed early. Not one person yelled at him or blamed him for losing. Everything remained civil and ended with GG's and WP's by both teams. It's enlightening.

Fuck the 3200-3500 bracket :p

Honestly, the correct statement isn't "once you hit (MMR) the flaming falls off" its "once you hit mute the flaming falls off"
thats my secret at least. works great.

Fuck the 3200-3500 bracket :p

Honestly, the correct statement isn't "once you hit (MMR) the flaming falls off" its "once you hit mute the flaming falls off"
thats my secret at least. works great.

The whiners/flamers aren't even the real problem. It's the ones that throw a hissy fit if they don't get their way and sabotage their own team. Or the ones that suddenly have something "important" they need to attend to, usually after they lose their lanes, but won't just quit the game cause they don't want an abandon on their record so they waste an extra 30 mins of everyone's time.

My team MMR usually hovers between 3400-3600 and it's just a dumpster fire of idiots on both teams. My solo MMR is usually between 3800-4000 and the quality of players is just soooooooo much better in terms of overall ability and not being douchebags.

This game sometimes.... I'm undying and other team decides 5 minutes in that it is time to 5 man death ball....... Only one of them in each fight actually tries to take out the tombstone, the others fight zombies while Phoenix ults in the middle of them and Zeus just stands there spamming spells on them.

Ok, forget what I said in my last post. I hate this game. One win on a good team does not make up for getting stuck on stupid shit teams for 10 games. WTF is this shit. 4k and our Medusa tells us after game starts that surprise, she is not going safe lane and is going to jungle and do ancients instead which forces our tusk who said he is not good at last hitting to play in safe lane. I ping out before horn that they dropped an Obs at our ancient but medusa keeps trying to go back there to farm them.......... I'm a offlane spirit breaker who can't do anything because I'm dead if I charge to any lane because my team has fed so hard.

I just don't get this crap.

You know what works super super super well?
1. Solo offlane omniknight against a gyrocopter. It worked super well for my team.
2. Other team first picks windrunner, so your team first picks huskar, so other team also takes slardar and ursa
3. Ancient farming medusa. and I mean ancients only. It works especially well when the other team places a ward and kills her again and again and again even though you tell her that they can see her. Do not max mystic snake, max split shot instead.
4. Natures Prophet that never pushes a lane.
5. Safelane Alchemist, such a good hero, it's why you see so much of him in ranked games and the pro scene.

Some random tips
If you win early game, definitely stop fighting together and get super over confident and try to fight 3v5. It will totally work for your team. I mean, you are ahead, so there is no way your 3 heroes can lose against 5 heroes.
If you are being split pushed against badly, don't just 5 man push and force them to tp back. Instead, chase them around the map so that they can rat you more.
If you are playing against a tinker and you know he is maxing rocket/laser, don't worry about your health being half full, he won't burst kill you.
If you know the other team has shadow blades and blink daggers and your team has no wards, push out by yourself and stand there for a full minute.
If you are split pushing by yourself and you can't see any of the other team on the map, stay there, they definitely aren't coming to kill you.
Don't pick meta heroes.
Don't communicate with your team about what you are thinking about picking or where you want to lane. It's the most fun to surprise them by last picking a 4th or 5th carry.
Always first pick your safe lane carry. It is considerate to the other team because that way they can think of ways to counter it.

Anyway, I've lost 8 games in a row and I'm below 4k mmr again.

Last edited:
I think if you lose 2 ranked matches in a row, you should take a break from ranked. Wait until you have at least have another win (from pub or w/e), and then go back.

Other than that, great tips. Next time I game with you, I'll remember to follow as many as I can. I reaaly like the Huskar one. :D

ANOTHER FUCKING EARLY PICK HUSKAR!!!!!
OTHER TEAM INSTANT PICKS WIND, GAME OVER!

Thats really not how dota works...
yes instapick huskar is counterable but you can still win...

Technically you can still win even if you have 5 carries or 5 supports, but it is super unlikely.

Even the guy who picked it agreed with me that we were screwed. They went high physical damage and that was that. The game ended up being closer than I expected, but our magnus went 2-13 and missed all his RPs except one. He did get a 4 man RP when his team was dead, so there was that I guess.

Anyway, I finally won one. It took 9 losses in a row but I finally got one. All it took was a team where two other people communicated about what we were doing and we won easily.

Having a team that communicates (at least 50%+ in the same language) does drastically increase your odds of winning. Sorry you got stuck with another Huskar. Maybe when that happens, you need to pick someone that will keep that fucker alive? If they are all physical damage, then go Omni or WW. Or counter their counter. If they go WR, then just go burst damage.

last week i went 8-23. this week, total turnaround. won my last 6, 998 wins, 950 losses. getting close to that 1k wins. dota 2 man, what a game. also made sure im on vacation for the international, so thats gonna be a crazy week of staying up all night and watching every fucking game. haha

aaaaand i lost a game. gonna break even before i get that last win. fuck this game.

Actually it is EXACTLY how dota works outside of competitive team play. The game is SHIT for pub play.

It is broken, I love watching the pros and the premise of the game but it gets old wasting so much time when you get fucked at the pick screen or the start of the game.

Actually it is EXACTLY how dota works outside of competitive team play. The game is SHIT for pub play.

It is broken, I love watching the pros and the premise of the game but it gets old wasting so much time when you get fucked at the pick screen or the start of the game.

I don't have any issues with dota pub games. Yes you will get some strange people, some terrible players, so bad picks etc, but it doesn't make the game unwinnable. You cannot approach every game the same way, if you do you're bound to lose.

Play with friends, if you don't have any try adding a few people you have played with recently as a friend if you worked well together etc. Just remember just because it's not a ranked game doesn't mean its matchmaking is any different.

It's not that hard to figure out what makes you mad about dota and simply remove it from the experience.

Teammates who don't speak english? Stack with friends who speak english.
Losing too much? get fucking better, nobody's holding you back but you and there's an unreal amount of resources to help you improve.
People flaming you driving you insane? Learn to mute. Maybe turn off all communication (there's a button for that).
Stupid picks making you mad? Play CM, or stack

There's always a way to enjoy dota more, but people just expect to press solo queue and win every game with teammates who suck their dick the whole game while their opponents pick bad heroes etc. It's kinda unreal.

It's not that hard to figure out what makes you mad about dota and simply remove it from the experience.

Teammates who don't speak english? Stack with friends who speak english.
Losing too much? get fucking better, nobody's holding you back but you and there's an unreal amount of resources to help you improve.
People flaming you driving you insane? Learn to mute. Maybe turn off all communication (there's a button for that).
Stupid picks making you mad? Play CM, or stack

There's always a way to enjoy dota more, but people just expect to press solo queue and win every game with teammates who suck their dick the whole game while their opponents pick bad heroes etc. It's kinda unreal.

So im currently at 6,9k mmr, im what, top 1% of players at that point? I cant win every single game single handedly especially when im matched with a team of 4k's vs a team or nothing but 5-6k MMR players, i completely gave up the game because this shit was constantly happening for months not being able to break 7k

I stopped caring about my mmr a long time ago. I pretty much only play support (as that is what I enjoy to play, and is often in the most need), and no matter how hard I support, if I have shitty carries, it's most likely a loss.

I've played several games where my team should have won, and we lost, and the opposite. Had my team pushed earlier (as I suggested, before their late game carry came online), we probably would have won. Had the other team pushed while they had the advantage, then we would have lost.

Something I found funny - the other day, someone on the other team was complaining that my team's pub lineup was just copying the meta, because I picked Omni. I simply replied "your team is all magic, of course I'd pick Omni". And our team wasn't all meta.

When it's all said, while it's a frustrating game, I still enjoy it. I get more enjoyment than frustration from it, and, as the biggest plus, I don't have to spend money on it to enjoy it.

So im currently at 6,9k mmr, im what, top 1% of players at that point? I cant win every single game single handedly especially when im matched with a team of 4k's vs a team or nothing but 5-6k MMR players, i completely gave up the game because this shit was constantly happening for months not being able to break 7k
if you are over 6k then sure I have no advice for you
6.9k mmr would be roughly top 0.001% of players, you are by far the outlier lol. Nobody else here complaining about bad teammates is in a remotely comparable situation to you.

So, I found this year's TI to be much more enjoyable to watch than last year's TI. The matches seemed so much more competitive.

Also, I still hate this game. I get the 0-9-4 Meepo and an AA that refused to buy courier or wards, forcing me, the solo mid to buy courier and wards, while the other team gets a pro level earth spirit player. WTF is this balance?

Last edited:
I've been taking a break from csgo if anyone wants to lobby up. I'm not great, not bad, but I haven't realllyyy played in ages. I played HoN like it was crack until Dota 2 basically killed HoN.

Steam @ æon

Ok, forget what I said in my last post. I hate this game. One win on a good team does not make up for getting stuck on stupid shit teams for 10 games. WTF is this shit. 4k and our Medusa tells us after game starts that surprise, she is not going safe lane and is going to jungle and do ancients instead which forces our tusk who said he is not good at last hitting to play in safe lane. I ping out before horn that they dropped an Obs at our ancient but medusa keeps trying to go back there to farm them.......... I'm a offlane spirit breaker who can't do anything because I'm dead if I charge to any lane because my team has fed so hard.

I just don't get this crap.

You know what works super super super well?
1. Solo offlane omniknight against a gyrocopter. It worked super well for my team.
2. Other team first picks windrunner, so your team first picks huskar, so other team also takes slardar and ursa
3. Ancient farming medusa. and I mean ancients only. It works especially well when the other team places a ward and kills her again and again and again even though you tell her that they can see her. Do not max mystic snake, max split shot instead.
4. Natures Prophet that never pushes a lane.
5. Safelane Alchemist, such a good hero, it's why you see so much of him in ranked games and the pro scene.

Some random tips
If you win early game, definitely stop fighting together and get super over confident and try to fight 3v5. It will totally work for your team. I mean, you are ahead, so there is no way your 3 heroes can lose against 5 heroes.
If you are being split pushed against badly, don't just 5 man push and force them to tp back. Instead, chase them around the map so that they can rat you more.
If you are playing against a tinker and you know he is maxing rocket/laser, don't worry about your health being half full, he won't burst kill you.
If you know the other team has shadow blades and blink daggers and your team has no wards, push out by yourself and stand there for a full minute.
If you are split pushing by yourself and you can't see any of the other team on the map, stay there, they definitely aren't coming to kill you.
Don't pick meta heroes.
Don't communicate with your team about what you are thinking about picking or where you want to lane. It's the most fun to surprise them by last picking a 4th or 5th carry.
Always first pick your safe lane carry. It is considerate to the other team because that way they can think of ways to counter it.

Anyway, I've lost 8 games in a row and I'm below 4k mmr again.

Omni should be able to do just fine in the offlane vs gyro, most of Gyros damage is magical so you just max repel and your nuke, may not get a ton of farm but you can easily get to level 6 and start supporting fights

Back