Dota 2 Official Thread

Ugh, I always hate the few weeks after the TI events. Every single game is filled with wannabes copying the pro drafts from the event. Two weeks of watching the same heroes being played every single match and people still want to pick them for pub games. ZzZzZzZz

Wow, I think I just played the worst dota match of my life. Ok, so first, I am getting this feeling that Reborn doesn't do matchmaking very well. I'm seeing crap from players that I haven't seen since I first started playing dota a couple years ago. Basically, I feel like it is not basing it off of any sort of hidden or visible mmr, but instead it is just lumping anyone who is available together.

Anyway, my team was literally intentionally feeding. Three times my sven shadowbladed and run up to their exposed racks and tried to take them through backdoor protection. He would stand there right clicking while chatting that it was going to work this time and that we should believe in him. Naturally they would just walk up and kill him. Or he would run into the rosh pit to try to take rosh with his 2 other party members. I would tell them that it was warded and that the other team was goign to kill them and steal rosh. Boom, other team kills them and takes rosh. Or we would win a fight, but instead of helping to push a lane to take an objective, he would go stand outside of the other team's high ground to wait for his team to push the lane to him. I would tell him that the other team was just going to respawn and kill him, so he would tell me to stop yelling at him. Then the other team would kill him. He capped it all off by selling his items to buy a rapier and then suiciding into the other team.

I don't know how we won. It was so bad. It was the stupidest game ever. The only plus side was that they really couldn't kill me without focusing all five on me. The stupid team fights were lasting so long that I would actually drop my tombstone as undying twice each fight.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1706498650

Also, I've been playing a lot of stupid game modes like all random lately. I should probably stop doing that. It's pretty bad.

Ugh, I always hate the few weeks after the TI events. Every single game is filled with wannabes copying the pro drafts from the event. Two weeks of watching the same heroes being played every single match and people still want to pick them for pub games. ZzZzZzZz

I actually saw a huge amount of variety in TI. I mean, Lesh, Lina, Gyro, and a few others were already super common before TI. Actually, my main complaint is that my team always seems to refuse to pick meta heroes and instead goes for the random crap that they feel like playing.

Eh the worst part of it is the Suma1l wanabes. Ive seen storm after storm go things like 1-9, 5-15, and these are 5-6k players

Huge changes with 6.85 patch. Lot of nerf to what we've been seeing, lot of buffs to older heroes or heroes that needed it.
I think the PA buff is one of the most insane ones (not best, just insane). Dagger can proc bases now. WTF is up with that?
I think Puck will return to be a staple mid with her buff.
Undying with Scepter... Too strong now.
And Lifestealer ulting Ancients? Not sure that's a good one.
And Techies.... I think now they will need to focus more on pushing than just placing mines in random spots. But a pusher Techies is always the best Techies (*cough*).

Mango buff? Hell's yeah! Buffed mid Disruptor spamming Thunderstike is go!

Lot of item price drops.

As much as I absolutely LOVE watching DOTA matches on Twitch and within the in game's observer mode, I have yet to play this game other than a few scrimmages. I think I'm going to make a point to at least give it a go.

I find DOTA2 much more enjoyable to watch than play.
On the flip side, I find HOTS more fun to play than watch.

20 minute matches vs. matches randomly going 60min+. That and the repetitiveness of it always being the exact same map wears on me after a while.

It's great watching pros though because they understand all the nuances of the map and how to take advantage of it, with pubs it's just whatever.

Every time I watch pro dota2 I immediately want to play it myself. I then immediately remember why I hate playing solo dota2. There is just such a massive mismatch between myself and my teammates every game. I pick strong heroes, use my mic, communicate as much as I can, make adjustments if my lane is not going well (it is better to go stack camps for your carry than it is to stay in lane and feed the other team), etc. But my teammates pick what they feel like playing regardless of whether it will be crushed by the other team and end up just flaming each other. Most of their communication is just pinging madly when they do something stupid and get caught out and killed. I mean, I ping out that mid is missing, ping where he is going, say over voice that he is going to gank our safelane and then the safelane carry doesn't respond and gets killed.

Most of my friends that I play with aren't great, but at least we use teamspeak together which makes things bearable.

Speaking of which, I am always looking for more people to play with. I'm at like 3900 solo MMR but generally my party members are in the 2.5-3.3k range.

If you too are tired of getting matched with idiots, feel free to add me (so that we can get matched with idiots together): https://steamcommunity.com/id/azngorilla

I find DOTA2 much more enjoyable to watch than play.
On the flip side, I find HOTS more fun to play than watch.

20 minute matches vs. matches randomly going 60min+. That and the repetitiveness of it always being the exact same map wears on me after a while.

It's great watching pros though because they understand all the nuances of the map and how to take advantage of it, with pubs it's just whatever.

This... this game is SHIT for pub play. Straight awful and you spend 75% of your gaming time doing nothing or waiting out a loss. HOTS much better.

On the flip side the same reasons the game is shit for pub play are the same reasons why it is so much fun to watch.

Yeah I've been on a slow track to burning out on MOBAs. Dota was always the staple for me since WC3. Matchmaking and just being so reliant on 4 random people for a hour-long period or so just seems so stupid now.

I tend to prefer games where I'm not as reliant on the performance of strangers these days. That being said, in my limited time with HoTS, I found that game to be too shallow... and pedantic, and League is just like... idk, the retard corral where everyone gets a dash mechanic.

I tend to prefer games where I'm not as reliant on the performance of strangers these days. That being said, in my limited time with HoTS, I found that game to be too shallow... and pedantic, and League is just like... idk, the retard corral where everyone gets a dash mechanic.

I completely agree. As far as MOBAs go I've settled for Smite; It has more depth than HOTS while not being quite the asshole incubator that LoL is while also not being such a pain in the ass to play and learn as DOTA2.

Anyone figured out how to play at 3440x1440 without all the interface padding and shop issues?

you gain nothing by running at higher resolution other than 1080p. Dota 2 is real restate locked, meaning regardless of the resolution you still see the same amount of the screen.

if you are having issues try running in borderless window.

you gain nothing by running at higher resolution other than 1080p. Dota 2 is real restate locked, meaning regardless of the resolution you still see the same amount of the screen.

if you are having issues try running in borderless window.

Quite. My native resolution is 5760 x 1200 but the game just stretches the small resolution to fit the screen. For a while I had to running at 1980 x 1200 and got three screens of the same image lol.

For a good while now I have run in windowed mode and watch a movie or something on another screen.

Lots of changes. I'm going to have to replace WW as one of my cores. With the buffs to Nigma, I suspect a lot of picks/bans of that hero, esp with Arcane Lens. I also think DP will be making a comeback as a mid hero.

I've just been theory-crafting from what I've read on the notes. I haven't played any of the heroes or read anything on reddit on any of the changes.

Good grief they changed a lot. I don't think most of it will help with balance. Looks like some crazy changes. Similar to the massive update in 2014 that drastically redid the balancing.

This game.... would be so great if not for the players, lol.

Every time I see someone streaming it on twitch I think, yeah, that looks like fun, I should play it again. Then I play it and remember why I hate playing it.

This game.... would be so great if not for the players, lol.

Every time I see someone streaming it on twitch I think, yeah, that looks like fun, I should play it again. Then I play it and remember why I hate playing it.

I'm having a shit ton of fun. As of writing this Gorilla, you are exactly 1 mmr point above me. The close losses I don't mind. It's mainly the throws, the horrible junglers, the foreign languages... But then there are games that are just spectacular, games where everybody is just firing on all cylinders.

Maybe you just need to play with your friends more.

It's about par for the course, I think I've had about 40 or 50 bad games straight. A few almost decent ones but even the wins were bland and unbalanced. I only play when friends invite me now unless its a TD or something. Game stopped appealing to me when they jacked all the hero's up in July 2014.

The problem is they are constantly tweaking heroes to try to keep them balanced and relevant. The problem is that when some heroes see a huge amount of success (professionally), they hit the hero with the nerf bat too hard. When they do, it's always interesting to see how the pro's have to change their game to compensate.

What I really like now is the "buff" to the support heroes. It really makes my job a lot easier, which makes playing even more enjoyable now.

The problem is they are constantly tweaking heroes to try to keep them balanced and relevant. The problem is that when some heroes see a huge amount of success (professionally), they hit the hero with the nerf bat too hard. When they do, it's always interesting to see how the pro's have to change their game to compensate.

What I really like now is the "buff" to the support heroes. It really makes my job a lot easier, which makes playing even more enjoyable now.

I wish they would create multiple maps or official modes. One for july 2014 pre massive changes and then another for the continual ones. I dont think they have the idea right with the constant heavy changes.

I am looking to use Dota 2 in our VR reviews. Does anyone have a replay file of a game that is very graphic intensive? 5 minutes long or so?

Icefrog, can we please get the next patch in which Mirana is nerfed into oblivion soon please?

Oh and in regards to Kyle's request, that is kind of tough. I mean, the only graphic intensive games that I can think of are the super long ones. Like over 90 minutes. That is because as the game goes on the map starts to break down and a lot of heroes start to get crazy particle effects. I can't really think of one game in particular though.

Icefrog, can we please get the next patch in which Mirana is nerfed into oblivion soon please?

Oh and in regards to Kyle's request, that is kind of tough. I mean, the only graphic intensive games that I can think of are the super long ones. Like over 90 minutes. That is because as the game goes on the map starts to break down and a lot of heroes start to get crazy particle effects. I can't really think of one game in particular though.

I think he's looking for heavy action, like a conflagration of spells from every hero concurrently.

Ah okay its just a bit more hoops now than it was, the website that used to host a lot of the good popular replays is down. However you can download replays from YASP - Open Source Dota 2 Statistics and if you know of a good match from a video, you can search for it on datdota: Home or dotabuff.com/esports to find the match id, then put that match id in the yasp page and it will give you a link for that replay to watch in the client.

Unfortunately I don't really follow the big gaming videos, just enjoy playing them myself so no idea on what would be a good video to search for quick.

Hero looks a bit OP and like some of the other recent additions, a merging of others which is meh. Wont get me back into the game :(

First, not impressed with mirana nerf.

Second, what is underlord? I mean, seriously, what does this hero do? Does he safelane carry? Offlane? Mid? As far as I can tell he just gets damage and farms and loses. I mean, theoretically it seems like his ult should be really good for ganking, but you never get that kind of coordination out of pubs, so generally you just see it used to try to escape.

It just seems like you would rather have the same farm on any other carry. Sure he has a aoe disable, but it is only a root, so they can still attack, use spells, etc. I feel like his aoe flames are good for farming but never seem to have an impact in actual fights. Idk, it just seems like he gets a bunch of damage and then can't really do anything with it unless the other team just lets him push down towers uncontested.

They already patched him getting damage from illusions so there goes a big chunk of his damage.

IDK, I just haven't seen the hero excel at any particular role.

I'm not liking the new UI. I know it will take time to get used to it, but it's like they are trying to force my eyes to go places I don't want them to go. I click on an enemy hero to check out their items, and it's all the way on the left hand side, and the item icons are so tiny. There are a number of other things I don't like, but I need more time playing the new patch to get used to things and see what can be done with it. First, I need to figure out how to get my "missing" binds back.

And these new level upgrades really do change the face of the game. It gives the heroes some flexibility at higher levels, and definitely changes the face of the game. Now, some heroes can ignore certain "core" items, simply because they can get a skill from the tree that replaces it (like crit or lifesteal or evasion). I actually see MKB's being more necessary now than ever, since a number of carries now have a passive evasion.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new jungling guides in the next month or two. I don't think jungling has been removed with the changed to the spawn timers, just changed (due to more camps, shrine, and new paths.

Also, carry Treant. I'm looking forward to playing him.

I wish they would leave some of the older versions available as arcade playable.

I am interested in seeing how this changed things, maybe for the better. I've been a sour puss about things since the July 2014 update the hosed most things :(
I may try a few bot rounds before going online with friends on the weekend. Hopefully they are sober otherwise ....

Ok, so far I am not a fan. I don't like the hud. I don't see why they needed to change notifications of things like kills or who picked up the aegis. The only good thing about it is that streamers have nice empty spots for their webcams.

The backpack is pissing me off. I played a game as a roaming riki and was expecting a jungling Axe to drop his tranquils, but nope, he can just move them over to his pack when he attacks a camp. Then he starts to get low on health so I am going to try to kill him, but nope, there is this magic well in the middle of his jungle that refills his health without him having to go back to fountain. What the hell.

I'm fine with the skill changes, it makes things interesting by making every game a bit different.

There are now so many neutral camps that it seems like everyone is farming super fast, plus bounty runes everywhere.

Oh, and I've heard they are patching it back in, but they got rid of the hot key for leveling a skill. All of a sudden I have to click, wtf.

Back