Dota 2 Official Thread

A lot of major hero changes. Some good, some... interesting.

Chen can use Holy Persuasion on Ancients with scepter :eek: Makes me wish I was good at micro.

Earth Spirit is going to be unstoppable with scepter for the few people that are good at playing him, my hands just aren't quick enough.

Titan will get picked a lot more now, his added effect with scepter looks OP to anyone getting caught in it.

Glad void got a tiny nerf, even though I'm fairly unstoppable with him unless I have a trash team.

Regarding Invoker, does anyone know what this means? Tornado damage from 2*Wex+Quas to 3*Wex Will damage go up or down or remain the same, just effected only by Wex?

LC got quite a Nerf, that's good.

Lesh got buffed... why.

LD's Spirit Bear has mana and can use Midas, which directly gives XP to LD. That's going to be fun. Is Dagon's mana cost below 300....

Lycan gets 650 move speed with ult!!

Ogre is going to become the new Centaur and will be ridiculous to kill early game.

I like the changes to PL, he's going to be interesting to play with and against now.

New Pheonix scepter ability going to make a lot of teammates suicide and rage.

Pugna can mega heal allies mid-late game.

Wtf did they do to Riki. Level 1 invis and heals fast when he is invisible. Blink strike is his ult now. I'm picking him first.

Slark can ult through Chronosphere LOL.

Sniper headshot no longer stun, I think that's good. He was OP against every hero that needed to channel anything.

Sven ult hits allies with scepter, could be huge with Wraith or Slark or whatever.

Timber has two Chakrams with scepter LOL.

They gave Treant his eyes in the forest back finally!! I've been waiting for that. Needs scepter though...

Cloak, Hood and Pipe magic resistances now stack - Go go unkillable Ogre.

Crimson Guard like is a Pipe for physical damage is seems.

Those are the changes I find interesting. As always, it will be a different game for a few days.

Seems like too many major changes to established hero's. Wish they could do more testing with hero's in beta before letting them out in the open so we dont get massive tweaks and more minor balance fixes.

I dont mind some of the changes but still...

It's not that bad. I'm 2/2 post-patch, up to 3.6k mmr. Crimson guard actually works out nicely. I used it on Doom and tanked any 3 of them, I was laughing through Jugg's ult all game. I'm still against the changes to Ranked AP. It makes picking hectic now, especially with people that don't speak English on the team.

Has the new update been officially released? I haven't been on steam in 4-5 days... Looks somewhat interesting.

I HATE the changes to gold/exp on kills. Played 2 games last night with massive leads, when trying to push high ground me and our invoker died. Both of us were sitting at 10+ kills and 0 deaths. our 2 deaths alone were worth 3.5k gold to the killing blow players alone. It swung the game back, and alllowed their riki to get 2 core items, off of just 2 kills. and we lost, its fucking bogus now that having a substantial lead is actually detrimental to your team.

Same actually happened to me last night. This new mechanic is a little annoying.

Played several tonight and I agree, not to mention some of the hero changes screwed with the balance that was there and mostly well done. The map redo is lame as well. Should have just made a new map and left the original alone. Wasnt perfect but there was a lot of strategy and advantages for each side.

First update I wish they would undo and re think.

I HATE the changes to gold/exp on kills. Played 2 games last night with massive leads, when trying to push high ground me and our invoker died. Both of us were sitting at 10+ kills and 0 deaths. our 2 deaths alone were worth 3.5k gold to the killing blow players alone. It swung the game back, and alllowed their riki to get 2 core items, off of just 2 kills. and we lost, its fucking bogus now that having a substantial lead is actually detrimental to your team.

I totally agree. Played two games last night our team was up huge 35-15 in total kills. A few of us died in a team fight and within minutes the game was nearly tied.

We had them on the ropes...1 fight goes south & the game turns around completely. I'm all for a competitive balance but this is taking it to the extreme. Also the creature of habit in me doesn't like this new map at all. lol

Edit / Update:

soooo yah in a game that lasted over an hour, a team who was losing 2:1 in K: D ratio came back and smoked us in a single push.

I'm talking 60-30 K: D ratio by game's end.................................. I don't think I'm going to bother playing this game any more.

Last edited:
God do I hate this game sometimes...... I'm witchdoctor, with faceless in safe lane, sniper mid, vengeful and disrupter off lane. Things look good until sniper announces he is going to jungle instead of taking mid. Oh god it was bad. Somehow we managed to fight them off for over an hour.

Valve could make serious money by instead of selling cosmetic items, selling the name and addresses of players so I could go punch them in the face.

I'm playing now on US East. Servers are having mega issues. Whats your username?

What really sucks is how they changed how the item drops work last year. I haven't gotten a single drop since then. I'm sure it was a move to try to get people to buy more items, but they ain't getting any of my money. I don't have money to waste on stupid shit like that.

And yes, the new CM does look great. She's one of my favorite heroes.

lol, that's dota.

The other day I had one of the worst games of my life. First guy on my team picks shadow fiend. Second guy picks Ursa. I pick Clinkz for off lane. Fourth guy picks lone druid, calls jungle. Fifth guy picks gyrocopter and decides to join me in off lane. Dear lord, five carries. I'm clinkz and I'm buying support crap because no one else would. The amazing thing is that we actually had like a 10k XP lead at one point, but shadow fiend started running out on his own and feeding.

Anyway, I feel lucky that I played my 10 ranked games to get my MMR and started at 3753, and somehow my ranked win rate is much higher (64.37%) than my normal win rate (54.99%) so it didn't take that many games to get to the 4120 I'm at now.

I've lost nearly 300 mmr in the past 2 weeks due to idiot teammates and horrible picks. Who the fuck goes mid SF and rushes midas??? I'm teetering just above 3K at this point, which is total BULLSHIT, because I'm a much better player than a lot of the chumps I'm with. I get penalized for being the only support hero on a team full of shitty feeding carries that don't understand shit.

Anyways, Bentley, it looks like your team just couldn't keep the Sniper or Jugg contained. You let those 2 farm, and you're in trouble. I'd also give them higher odds just based on lineup alone. Lone Druid? Wtf is up with that? Maybe if you were going a full pushing team going for a 25 minute win, but your team didn't seem to do that.

You going to be on tonight Pez? I'll be around a bit later after the gym and the kids go to bed.

In other news there's a guy streaming on Twitch right now who just bought a 7.3K MMR account for 2,500 Euro.

His DotaBuff

His Twitch

I think that's pretty hilarious.

I watched the full match yesterday. That was the funniest thing I've ever seen in the game. It's a shame that the creep wave was in range. I would have loved to see Dire keep a guy or two around them just to snipe the flying courier (when they had one).

New longest game for me, 85 minutes. These get so boring after 45 minutes. I think we were down 0-13 before we got any kills too.

Keep an eye out for a Sven set that I made being released soon with Dota 2 Canada ticket! Yep, A HardOCP member makes hats for Dota 2!

What mmr do you have to get to before your teammates aren't just stupid? I mean, I'm at around 4130 and yesterday we get a guy who decides to do jungle techies..... Yes, we got stomped.

Also, I think I have to finally learn troll warlord because I'm am tired of losing against troll.

What mmr do you have to get to before your teammates aren't just stupid? I mean, I'm at around 4130 and yesterday we get a guy who decides to do jungle techies..... Yes, we got stomped.

Also, I think I have to finally learn troll warlord because I'm am tired of losing against troll.

I would say it gets much better at 4500 but still a lot of frustrating games. Probably best to find people to play with.

I'm stuck at 3k because of stupid teammates. You need me to be ward bitch? Fine. Then stop sucking and losing. I can only roam and gank so much. I can't afford arcane boots because every penny has to go towards giving you assholes vision and buying smokes for ganks that don't happen half the time.

Ways I feel are best to deal with Troll:
- Tiny & Wisp: Craggy exterior is insane against Troll. Craggy will force him to pop a BKB every fight, just to deal with Craggy alone.
- Set 3 people against him early, with at least 1 heavy nuker. Lina, Lion and Zues are great for burst damage. Some heroes (like a good BM) require a lot of resources to keep them in check. This may allow for another enemy to have better farm, but if the Troll is a bigger threat, then it has to be done.
- Naturally, continuously gank him.

You guys are missing out on 2k action, it is where the game really shines... and people too...

whatever i'm stuck at 4.3 cuz i suck ass thats life
2k games are fun i've played on my brother's account once or twice

You guys are missing out on 2k action, it is where the game really shines... and people too...

I created a second account a while back, and yeah, it was a really nice feeling to be able to pick whatever stupid dumpster hero I wanted and play like an idiot and not get punished for it. Though, it didn't take that long for the incompetence of my teammates at start to get to me. I guess that at least at higher MMRs you know that generally your teammates have played as well as you have to get to that point. In potato tier you are basically just stuck with luck of the draw as to whether your potato tier teammates will be more or less like potatoes than the other team.

Why is it that it always seems like you are either on a great team or a terrible one, but never an ok team. Either your teammates are idiots who start flaming each other before the round has even started and then fight each other for the rest of the game, or they are super nice and communicate well. It would be nice if I could get put on teams where there would be at least one guy who uses his mic and is cooperative even if the other three players are jerks.

Why is it that it always seems like you are either on a great team or a terrible one, but never an ok team. Either your teammates are idiots who start flaming each other before the round has even started and then fight each other for the rest of the game, or they are super nice and communicate well. It would be nice if I could get put on teams where there would be at least one guy who uses his mic and is cooperative even if the other three players are jerks.

This is why I stopped playing. I tried to always play with my brother so at least we were 2 capable to worl together but it often wasn't enough :(

It's the price of playing online games with strangers. I don't think I've ever played an online game with random people where everybody was consistently a good team player. I just hope that there's enough good players to counteract the bad ones.

Whether I'm with a good team or bad, I still try to learn from the game and improve myself. But I'be been playing a lot of Ability Draft these days, so it's just to have fun. Since I tend to play support, in ranked I'm forced to rely on others to not suck and help me get more mmr. That hasn't been working out so well, so I switched over to something that feels more fun than work.

see, i dont care about mmr at all. i got calibrated at around 3k and im pretty sure im better than that. but i mainly play single draft, for the unpredictability, and i think single draft really helps to widen your hero pool and encourages to try new stuff. that being said, there are still around 20 - 25 heroes i havent played more than once

but that wouldn't be dota.... LOL

jokes aside you must be sub 4k mmr. I'm at 5230 and communication isn't really a problem, even if they don't speak, they will ping etc and you know based on what hero they have what they can and can't do. When I was in the mid 3k's all my games seemed exactly how you describe.

I don't play frequently enough anymore to know what MMR is lol. Used to play this game a ton until the 50 hero rape I mean update happened. Still join in once in a while but as JapaneseGorilla said, it is so random what you get now team wise... Either it is a complete stomp or you just cant find enough lube to soothe the pain.

I have nothing against communication but knowing how the typical dota player has not changed since Warcraft III's iteration people have a few sentences to show off how they are as a person or I mute them all. So much more fun when muted.

That said the other night was the first truly fun game I have had since that update almost a year ago. Both teams were evenly matched skill wise, some newbies, some skilled and some middle of the road (me). When people did speak / type (thank any deity it was not incessant) they were polite and for the most part had heard of grammar. We won due to two bad team fights for the other team but for over half the hour long round it was anyone's game. Rare to have but great matches can be had.

LOL, I just played a game where a player on the other team first pick randomed and got Oracle, then rerolled and got Oracle a second time. I didn't think that was possible, but apparently you can do it.

Back