Dota 2 Official Thread

It's pretty frustrating to learn to play on your own. The community can be very harsh. :p

I learned alone but then I played teacher for my brother, his friend, my friend and my dad lol :D

Yes, learning can be tough. This is not a newb friendly game, so new players are often treated harshly for not knowing how to play (or dying a lot). If you have a couple of people, just play against bots or make a private game where you can 1v1 or 2v2 a single lane.

The best bet is to stick with certain types of heroes that are easier to use and nove dependant on items (ones that have a disable and/or escape mechanism). I'd be happy to help out anybody on a weekend. Just pm me if you're interested.

It takes a solid 20+ to learn the ins/out, currently teaching a friend how to play and even after 2 hours of coaching he's still a newb :)

Personally learned a lot by following guides on dotafire site. Have the build order open on one monitor play on the main.

Ranked Matchmaking is coming! You will need 150 games before entering the 10 games to position yourself.

Also.. Frostivus will arrive soon ;)

Ranked Matchmaking is coming! You will need 150 games before entering the 10 games to position yourself.

Also.. Frostivus will arrive soon ;)

im excited about this

Rating was one of my fav things about Hon and gave me a reason to keep playing

As long as they keep an unranked Que where you still earn loot, punish for leaving, and such then this will be good.

The biggest problem with HoN was there wasn't a place to have a good unranked game that didn't stick with you once it is over. The no-stats option didn't record leaves so the games were a joke.

Well it's not Frostivus, it's Wraith-night.

It will start tonight I think! There was a 700 mb update for Dota 2 test last ngiht.

A mix of tower defense mode?? :D

its on the test server.

you defend your ancient there are 4 towers, and waves of different sorts of enemies come at you. I played a round, got to the bear round and had lone druid and a huge ursa running around.

Tried the Wraith Night for the first time last night. We were all new to it and teamed with my brother and 3 randoms.

First attempt made it to Lone Druid and Giant Ursa and failed :p

Then decided to replay with the same group since we all knew what would happen... made it to wave 4 I think in NG+. We all had to leave so weren't very careful :D

Haven't tried Legion Commander yet.

And got lots of present/gift last night. My brother didn't get his yet last night.

The game mode isn't really that hard.

I found that windrunner/axe/sven/magnus/omni was the best combination of heroes.

beat it a few times last night.

was playing with Wind Runner. Rush a malestorm for the aoe, then power treads, then divine, after that upgrade malestorm.

The DPS and AOE with her ult is amazing with the divine and malestorm.

one team member needs a medallion. It really helps burn down the bigger bosses like the spider, and ursas, pudges.

The game mode isn't really that hard.

I found that windrunner/axe/sven/magnus/omni was the best combination of heroes.

beat it a few times last night.

was playing with Wind Runner. Rush a malestorm for the aoe, then power treads, then divine, after that upgrade malestorm.

The DPS and AOE with her ult is amazing with the divine and malestorm.

one team member needs a medallion. It really helps burn down the bigger bosses like the spider, and ursas, pudges.

Yeah it isnt too hard once you got a decent group of people that choose hero's well lol. I am enjoying it though, its a nice change of pace from the normal game, which at times I can dread so much.

If anyone is interested in playing some games add me on steam my steam account is - Ja-licious

I've got around 100 games in (although most of them were played on my kid's pc) and my fav heroes are Luna, Slark, Wind Runner, Sniper, Ursa, and Alchemist. I think I'm decent at the game but not any pro at it lol.

well for those interested I stream my games on twitch.

I usually try and play a few per day. http://www.twitch.tv/btu_ebduncan

I've logged over 1900 hours in Dota 2 so far and I currently at 3200 MMR on the ranking system with I dunno 12 games or so. I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I'm nearly there.

Ill have to get my steam id later, but i would like to find a few people to play with on a semi consistant basis, im getting tired of the crapshoot pub matches. Even if its just 1-2 people going in.

I have roughly 350 hours logged, best win% heroes are Phantom Assassin and Zeus, I do enjoy playing as Weaver, Legion Commander, Skywrath Mage, Natures Prophet...and a bunch more really.

I've logged over 1900 hours in Dota 2 so far and I currently at 3200 MMR on the ranking system with I dunno 12 games or so. I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I'm nearly there.

Pro's have 5000+ MMR

The system has been a reality check for a lot of people - especially some of my friends who thought they were amazing, finding out they were only in the sub 3000 range.

Everything is relative lol.

I'm over 4k and while thats hypothetically 99% or something half my friends list is over 5K T_T

Still, having a stack of people who are even reasonably close to your mmr is more fun that solo queue most of the time. Playing with 5.5K MMR people still leads to a surprising amount of decent matches.

I suck and I started out with a 2900 MMR. Just went on an epic losing streak, so now I'm at 2500. 5000 for pros sounds about right.

Has anyone else noticed that non-ranked matches are a joke now? I play non-ranked AR once in a while for a break from the competition. I can regularly beat perfectly balanced teams with my team of all supports and other crap lineups.

Has anyone else noticed that non-ranked matches are a joke now? I play non-ranked AR once in a while for a break from the competition. I can regularly beat perfectly balanced teams with my team of all supports and other crap lineups.

I know, it's a blast. :D

Ive had some pretty awful ranked teamates. One game last night had a top lane of Alchemist and Axe that went 0-10 in the first 6 minutes, then they bitched at everyone else for losing.

That's what I don't like about this game. If you get on a team with someone who sucks, then it's pretty much over. So then it's 45+ minutes of getting owned. I keep telling myself I'm gonna uninstall it, but then I have a really good game and I change my mind.

And no, I don't know anyone else who games, so I don't play with a team.

That's what I don't like about this game. If you get on a team with someone who sucks, then it's pretty much over. So then it's 45+ minutes of getting owned. I keep telling myself I'm gonna uninstall it, but then I have a really good game and I change my mind.

And no, I don't know anyone else who games, so I don't play with a team.

Just add friendly people you find ingame, that's how I got to know a group of around 10 guys that play every night, plus a few other smaller ones.

I never understood why dota 2 is so popular. I gave it an hour but didnt like it. Should I give it more of a chance?

You should. Watch this and play a few bot games. Then start playing single and random draft to get exposed to as many heroes as possible. Find a pool of 4-6 heroes you really enjoying playing (preferably 50/50% carry/support). By the time you get to playing ranked matches you'll have a decent idea of how the game works. :cool:

This game really does need a Forfeit function. It's the absolute worst when your team has no chance of winning due to feeders, and the other team will drag it on so someone can get 2 rapiers or something stupid like that.

I've had good games and bad games, both ranked and non-ranked. More good than bad, based on my ratio. I just... want.. my... damn... Techies!

This game really does need a Forfeit function. It's the absolute worst when your team has no chance of winning due to feeders, and the other team will drag it on so someone can get 2 rapiers or something stupid like that.

I've had good games and bad games, both ranked and non-ranked. More good than bad, based on my ratio. I just... want.. my... damn... Techies!

Just type gg in all chat and it will give your team a 10 second countdown until surrender. Your team can cancel it though. But you can keep doing it.

That's what I don't like about this game. If you get on a team with someone who sucks, then it's pretty much over. So then it's 45+ minutes of getting owned.

Wow wtf. These kind of responses are such a perfect sampling of the DOTA 2 community, and the main issue with DOTA 2 itself. Stop blaming your teammates. Get over yourselves.

Not everyone is as pro as you are - but matchmaking will try to make the opposing team easier to compensate for your poor players. So you should be stomping if you're as good as you think you are.

Is anyone else not getting into ranked matches? It stays on the loading screen forever and the problem happens to me and my brother for the last 2 days... :confused:

So we decided to play a normal match last night... wow I miss ranked so much. I'm not a pro but my MMR is ~3000.

Last night it was me and my brother (who randomned Ember Spirit and played him for the first time so he was really bad) but the rest of my team.. wow. Enchantress.. I think she played like 5 games. Just to tell you.. I was Carry and had to upgrade to flying courrier... at the 20 mintues marks after asking Enchantress 3 times already. She could have told me she was new so I would have told her what to do.. instead she was using weird items and not picking Enchant skill ;)

The fun part is that the lowest level on the other team was lvl 46 I think (highest was 182). I was the highest in my team at 21 :p

It was fun :p

Wow wtf. These kind of responses are such a perfect sampling of the DOTA 2 community, and the main issue with DOTA 2 itself. Stop blaming your teammates. Get over yourselves.

Not everyone is as pro as you are - but matchmaking will try to make the opposing team easier to compensate for your poor players. So you should be stomping if you're as good as you think you are.

It's not about being Pro or not. When you know your team has lost, and everybody on your team knows it, there's nothing wrong with conceding defeat. Now, there are plenty of occasions when a losing team can make a comeback, but the game still has to be close. If your entire team is horribly underleveled and underfarmed, the odds of a comeback are close to nil. Back in the old Dota 1 TDA games (which was the closest there was to quality Dota games on bnet), "FF" was an acceptable practice. Plenty of people would rather not waste 15 minutes defending a base when the enemy team just dicks around and drags this thing out.

It's not about being Pro or not. When you know your team has lost, and everybody on your team knows it, there's nothing wrong with conceding defeat. Now, there are plenty of occasions when a losing team can make a comeback, but the game still has to be close. If your entire team is horribly underleveled and underfarmed, the odds of a comeback are close to nil. Back in the old Dota 1 TDA games (which was the closest there was to quality Dota games on bnet), "FF" was an acceptable practice. Plenty of people would rather not waste 15 minutes defending a base when the enemy team just dicks around and drags this thing out.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that a forfeit function would be totally great. I just take issue with people blaming 'feeders' on their team every time they lose.
And that's probably why they don't have a forfeit in place - players will just forfeit the moment their teammates on another lane wipe because "my team is feeding".

It depends on what you define as "feeding". If someone is 1-8-7, while it sucks, it isn't really feeding. That's just (probably) a hero being targeted first. The gods know I've suffered scores like that when I'm a frail support hero not getting the backup I need.

Now, if someone is 0-14-0, does not contribute at all to the team, then that's feeding. And one feeder doesn't mean it's over. Even down a set of rax or two, one won teamfight and a good push can end it.

In order for a FF to work, the entire team (or maybe 4 out of 5) would need to agree. I know I've wasted a couple of hours in this game where we clearly lost, but the other team would refuse to end it. Of course, I can't leave w/o being charged an abandoned, so I have to sit there and just wait for the enemy to dick around and farm

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that a forfeit function would be totally great. I just take issue with people blaming 'feeders' on their team every time they lose.
And that's probably why they don't have a forfeit in place - players will just forfeit the moment their teammates on another lane wipe because "my team is feeding".

Your attitude is just as bad as what your complaining about.

2 nights ago i played with a sniper who went 2-24. Last night had a player go 4-15 and then disconnect.

On the opposite spectrum i had an invoker go something like 22-4. The issue with him is he was only playing lone wolf style. Which made us lose even though he had a great K/D ratio. It meant we were 4v5 in team fights while he was off trying to split push with a non split push hero, and then he would get ganked and killed, and bitch at us for being incompetent and losing even though he was the stronger team fight hero he refused to participate in team fights when we had a substantial early lead.

A forfeit is needed, inexperienced players and feeders are a real problem and do lead to lost games. Hell even good players have bad games and end up feeding, thats just the way the game works. I hate to no end a winning team that drags shit out, having every tower down but not taking out racks because they dont want mega creeps and just want to farm, its a pathetic epeen move that frankly, should be reportable

New Bloom - Terrorblade, Phoenix. Going to be an interesting night. Installing the update now.

oh snap old tda reference - I was one of the orig members in tda lol

New Bloom - Terrorblade, Phoenix. Going to be an interesting night. Installing the update now.

Terrorblade's ult is pretty annoying for a melee opponent!

I almost downed him in 3 seconds (I was playing Lycan) and he ult me to get his HP and I'm down to <25%. I manage to leech some life and almost down him but his team came and killed me 5 vs 1 :(

Still won and finished 12-3-9 but after that death.. I knew I would focus on him last ;) (I was going after their fed Lina anyways)

I haven't had a chance to play TB yet. All I know is that he no longer has life steal. Shame. He was always a fun hero. Sunder is great (but dangerous).

I love the new Random Ability mode. I played as a Sniper with Moon Glaive, and it was hilarious. I wanted to take Dusa's Multi-Shot as well, but someone nicked it before I could. Played against a Nyx that had 2 stuns... that was just evil. In the last one, I was Faceless Void, and the other team's Silencer took Chronosphere. Well, as expected, it didn't work on me. And I'm sure there would be a lot of skills that are a bit broken (imagine a melee hero with Take Aim or Multi-Shot).

I think the key is knowing your heroes stat gains to plan. FV, for example, has horrible INT gain, so mana intensive skills would break him. On the flipside, an INT hero can pick a low cooldown stun (such as Magic Missile) and be able to span it hard. The game is so chaotic, it's great.

Back