Dota 2 Official Thread

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1039782691 said:
In your opinion I guess not. But in the professional scene's opinion he is. He's almost always played in the trilane (aggressive or defensive). Sometimes he's run as part of a roaming gank duo. and least of all he's played solo mid. (That isn't to say he doesn't do well mid).

I'm not sure where you play but in team matchmaking and in very high solo match making, we tend to run him that way as well.

edit: Generally you grab a Rubick + either a lina, or leshrac, and you kill people while your carry farms in the safe lane, or your carry gets the kills in the aggressive lane and you take a fast tower.

Are we discussing professional scenes? I was advising a new player here... obviously professional levels the entire game is changed and swapped. how often is this kid gonna trilane in a pug with rubick ? probably not at all.

pugs = 2 . 1 . 2 combos almost exclusively and rubick shouldnt be paired with anybody in a side lane in this format

Rubick shouldn't be played solo mid *or* aggressive trilane by someone just beginning because that basically makes the game rest on the beginner's shoulders. There are much better (easier) supports to try if you're going to try and fulfill a lane support role. I would suggest sticking with windrunner for a bit.

That said, I don't think that beginners should be slotted as supports anyway because that role is particularly critical for the game. I'd much rather babysit a beginner than be babysat by one.

nobody learning the game should play mid i agree

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1039782811 said:
interesting point of view, I tend to prefer to try to carry new people kicking and screaming to a victory instead of trying to push them to one. I suppose both could be effective enough though.

hahah i prefer the kicking and screaming.... or crying. i am okay with either.

Are we talking about a new player who is already good at last-hitting?

Pick Clinkz and his escape will save your life a few times, or sneak up on someone to gank.

I was mainly responding to Doomchoppa and it sounded like he's only played a handful of games so I wouldn't think he would be good at last-hitting (or possibly even know what or how important they are).

Those things weren't explained very well during the tutorial when I tested it. Actually there wasn't a whole lot explained at all other than using it perhaps to get someone interested in the game and it seemed like it would be more likely to give an incorrect impression about what to expect.

I was mainly responding to Doomchoppa and it sounded like he's only played a handful of games so I wouldn't think he would be good at last-hitting (or possibly even know what or how important they are).

Those things weren't explained very well during the tutorial when I tested it. Actually there wasn't a whole lot explained at all other than using it perhaps to get someone interested in the game and it seemed like it would be more likely to give an incorrect impression about what to expect.

I know what last hitting is and also denying... I am just not that good at it... yet!

With that said, I have played about over 90 games with almost 50% win/loss ratio. Yesterday I went and played random heros. Got Bounty Hunter who was easy. Then there was leshrac who seems to be a bit of a higher skill level hero but still easier than Rubick. Also got Shadow Fiend (I think it was him name), and apart from his strange ranged moved, his ultimate coupled with that magic immune item works wonders! I will keep randomizing until I have a good feel of all the characters.

Pick Clinkz and his escape will save your life a few times, or sneak up on someone to gank.

Clinkz is a horrible choice for a new hero. His low STR makes him extremely easy to kill, and a new player that doesn't know how to read the map and to go invis will die in seconds. If against someone like Lion, if he can't go invis before he gets stunned, he'll be dead before he recovers.

If a new player is out of position, high str won't help, they'll just take longer to die.

If they don't know how to read the map they should play bots.

Speaking of Lion he's a great choice for a beginner who wants to try a support

is this open to the public yet?

It isn't open to the public as in anyone can go to steam and download the game, but it's not difficult getting an invite from someone. Lots of people are swimming in invites and you can get one relatively easily from places like reddit or asking here on this forum.

This "BETA" is one of the best freaking games ever. If all developers made finished products this good then we would be afloat in awesome games.

im ready for a new map or mode for this game, I dont know if that will ever happen. never played the original so maybe its not suppose to ever happen.

The only time a new mode/map will occur is during holiday events. Otherwise, no, there will be no extra maps in the standard game.

im ready for a new map or mode for this game, I dont know if that will ever happen. never played the original so maybe its not suppose to ever happen.

Don't need new maps. It's the ever changing landscape of the opposing team that makes this game fun. The map is just the background noise.

Don't need new maps. It's the ever changing landscape of the opposing team that makes this game fun. The map is just the background noise.

wow, put that on a hallmark card, lol. i still think a new map would be interesting, I guess they wont do anything till enough people stop playing/buying stuff. I never see the people that got me into the game playing it anymore.

Dota has always only been one map so they're not going to add a new map for dota2.

Valve has released new game modes with holiday themed graphics during holidays so we can expect that to continue.

Dota has always only been one map so they're not going to add a new map for dota2.

Valve has released new game modes with holiday themed graphics during holidays so we can expect that to continue.

I think we will see custom maps. Not anytime soon, but we will.

Personally looking forward to Pudge Wars and tower defenses.

And if Valve isn't the one to give it to us, its going to happen through custom servers.

All hail the source engine & server.dll !

i wouldnt mind seeing some little 3v3 matches like i see my friend playing in league. looks fun and a lot less serious... although to me league always looks pretty silly and casual ;)

Did a lot more All Pick matches. Was doing random always so I can learn more about the rest of the heros. Very fun to learn a new one every time. Though, bar one. Yep, Meepo! I mean, it is exactly like playing one and up to four heros at the same time :S! It was horrible for a beginner like me and my team wasn't happy (pub match). Otherwise, addictive game with lots of depth and gameplay.

I used to hate DotA...

So the game pegged my interest into item creation for this game. Currently learning some stuff. Was wondering if anyone around here is into that and has made some progress. Would love some links to guides or anything that can help me. At this very moment I am at a learning stage.

Well, I am making progress using 3Ds Max Studio instead. Very slow but very nice learning experience.

In related news, I have started to dabble into Dota 2 item trading. Seems fun. Managed to grab me a full Juggernaut set by trading away repeated items I had or items I never wanted.

Somehow, the game is just pulling me strongly a lot.

Oh and I had my shortest round ever yesterday with a 23 min win! I didn't even die once!

I prefer Captain's mode and Random Draft. I seem to have the best games in those two modes. All pick is swarming with morons playing outside their language.

Int isn't strictly wizardly. Try Windrunner, she's a hero that gets massively better as you get better, but is still easy enough to play new to the game.

Or Outworld Destroyer, which has a playstyle that's more akin to that of ranged agility heroes.

Or Outworld Destroyer, which has a playstyle that's more akin to that of ranged agility heroes.

one of the most fun pubstomp heroes. especially if they didnt pick support. i have had 40+ kills with him in a game before.

scepter + refresher orb + gold advantage = instant team death... i actually caught them once roshing with both ults. HILARIOUS.

Tusk is a bit OP or so I hear. Bristleback is such a good tank. Many times my team gets wiped out because they focus him and still don't manage to get him killed.

Skywrath I have yet to see him properly in action but his moveset is interesting.

How is Skywrath Mage faring?

Bristleback? Tusk?

Tusk is a bit OP or so I hear. Bristleback is such a good tank. Many times my team gets wiped out because they focus him and still don't manage to get him killed.

Skywrath I have yet to see him properly in action but his moveset is interesting.

I've seen Skywrath played by a couple good players, and he was pretty powerful. Brisleback is a pain in the ass because of his tank and sticky snot. Tusk is indeed pretty powerful. Not as much as overpowered as Drow Ranger, but pretty powerful. I played against a guy who does nothing but play Warlock last night. Real pain.

My current favs are Sniper, Lion, Troll Warlord, and Riki. I just recently got decent with Riki, and having a lot of fun with him.

I've seen Skywrath played by a couple good players, and he was pretty powerful. Brisleback is a pain in the ass because of his tank and sticky snot. Tusk is indeed pretty powerful. Not as much as overpowered as Drow Ranger, but pretty powerful. I played against a guy who does nothing but play Warlock last night. Real pain.

My current favs are Sniper, Lion, Troll Warlord, and Riki. I just recently got decent with Riki, and having a lot of fun with him.

Drow overpowered?!? Did I just step off a time machine that took me back six months? Drow is pretty much trash now and is really only feasible as a support. She has been nerfed so many times in the past few months that no one other than those that are brand new to the game even use her anymore.

I'll give you Warlock though. Fatal Bonds is a bitch and and a well played Warlock can dominate any lane he is in.

Love the game, hate the community. Everytime I convince myself to play again my team does some real stupid stuff.

I know! Lets try to out-farm PL with gyro and furion!

Nevermind me continually saying "lets force a teamfight, lets push, we need to push, we can't farm at 30 minutes guys.."

Well. That's pretty standard.

Well, just played Phantom Assassin properly and it ate fat Lycan+Sniper for breakfast: 1 + 2k crits. Scary stuff.

But yeah, public games can be hit or miss and more miss than hit. Though the game just keeps sucking me in and hours fly.

random match matching needs some work no doubt.

But team play is fun. I roll around with a few friends and makes the games that much better. Esp at higher levels/ and skill levels.

Drow Ranger has been nerfed yes, but still a viable carry.

My favorite heros and why i like them
Jakiro- Good support with disable/slow/AOE damage
Dazzle-Good support for keeping your carries alive and dishing out damage
Natures Profit- Global presence always (easy to get gold advantage)
Axe- Strong Muti- Purpose Hero initiation, Battle Hunger easy kills, CHOP....
Centaur War runner- King of escapes you shouldn't make, good stun, good tank, good initiation
Troll Warlord - Whirlling Axes OP! early game, can slow, damage nuke, awesome tower killing ult. (both ranged and melee)
Bounty Hunter- Pick this hero when the other team has invis heros and or heros who comonly get shadow blade. Cannot hide from being tracked.
Nyx Assassin - My favorite hero if the enemy team picks a bunch of squishy heros. Roam and kill to hearts content.

I had some fun matches yesterday with my Juggernaut (main hero). His ulti is just cool to the power 1000. I also tried out Spirit Breaker. Such an easy hero and with the right items (helm and armlet) can cause so much pain. Love his cross map charging.

I also noticed how strong Skymage is.

Back