Doominator - Resurrected

xrdotimcr

Limp Gawd
Ok, first of all this is just a computer I built to play Doom 3 a year ago. It is not like Crimson Sky's Case, it's just my little shrine to Doom. No real hardcore mods yet. Just a light switch and a front panel mod. Going to put an exhaust fan uptop and make this cool little all in one external control panel. It will be able to turn on/off the computer, reset the computer, will have power/hdd led's, will be able to open both cd drives, will be able to turn on the lights, have two USB ports, and maybe be a fan bus, not sure yet. I am also upgrading my Motherboard and Processor from a Socket A Athlon XP 2700+(2.1GHz @ 2.3GHz) to a watercooled Athlon 64 2800+(not sure how high i'm gonna OC). I'm also considering putting a plexi cover over both my drives. Kind of stealthing them but not really. Well here are a few picks of the computer as of right now.

Here's a front view of the DOOMINATOR

Front Mod Dark

Side view

Inside shot 1

Inside shot 2

Inside shot 3

Inside shot 4 (with flash)

Current Specs
AMD Athlon XP 2700 oc'd @ 2.3
Thermaltake TR2TT HSF
ECS Motherboard
1024mb PC-3200(DDR 400) RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb
160 gig Hitachi Deskstar SATA 7200 HDD
Sony DVD-Rom
HP CD-R/W

Future Specs
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (watercooled and OC'd)
Kingwin Arctic WaterCooling
Socket 754 Gigabyte mobo
1024mb PC-3200(DDR 400) RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb (watercooled OC'd as well)
160 gig Hitachi Deskstar SATA 7200 HDD
Sony DVD-Rom
Sony DVD+/_R/W

looks cool. So you are going to upgrade the mobo and cpu to a 754 pin solution? Would you mind elaborating on why you are choosing that specific upgrade path over a 939 pin?

Also - I would spend some more time on the cables, it looks like you could easily clean that up.

As soon as I saw your "future specs", i wondered why is he going to upgrade to that. Socket 754 will soon be discontinued in favour of 939 chipset only. And besides, im not sure of what options you have where you live, but here in Canada, Athlon 64's are socket 939 only. AMD Sempron chips are the only 754's out there.

With that said, good luck fitting a socket 939 chip into a socket 754 mobo. Let us know how it turns out.

i'm going with a 754 because the motherboard was bought for me...and i'm on a tight budget..plus i just figured..i'll redo it again in another year...and i know the 2800 is a slower processor, but i'm just gonna overclock it..squeeze some more juice out of it..plus i got one for really cheap on anotherforum...btw i'm in washington state..and where i live..no one i know is into computers..all my comptuerfriends are in hawaii..where i was before here

edit: Motherboard is shipping out monday morning at 7am
cpu ships out as soon as i put the money in the bank and paypal it over..banks closed on sunday(duh) and on monday(wtf) so it'll be sent over on tuesday, hopefully it'll be shipped too on that day...watercooling will be ordered in a week or so..until then i'll just be modding the case

not sound like i'm taking offense or anything..but i'm not an idiot..i've built quite a few systems..something around 20 or so...i know what i'm doing...but yeah it is 754 not 939

Now are you sure, cause you know you can't fit that CPU in that MB right.
You know that right! :D

like i said, i havent seen s754 Athlon 64's in any of the computer stores near where i am...

i dont count Yankee websites since i dont shop them.

Ok Ok, the motherboard should be coming in tomorrow or Thursday. The CPU should be here before the end of the week. I won't be getting the watercooling until the casemods are done. Then i'll just work up the money and watercool this thing. Other news, I'm having my local glass shop order a 8'x4' sheet of smoked plexiglass. I've decided to have all the plexi that's already on my case changed over to smoked plexi to give a more, matching feeling. I think i've found the mesh I'm going to use for my top mod. I have to talk to the dad first, he might have some mesh lying around. I think I might start cutting today, or maybe tomorrow. Well, pictures will be coming very soon.

Cody

Ok, the project is officially underway. I cut the top "blowhole" I guess is what you would call it. The rad inside my WCing kit will be directly under neath this blowing the air up. I still need to get the mesh. I'm going to cut one of these up to use as the mesh. I like the design and the material and it's sturdy.

592915_sk_md.jpg

Well here are the pictures.

Design
DSC00958.jpg

Right after cutting with tape still on
DSC00967.jpg

Tape off
DSC00968.jpg

Closer up
DSC00970.jpg

Well that's it for now until I get the mesh and the plexi ordered and cut. Until then I will be making some money so I can buy the things I need. I am thinking about starting to paint the motherboard side panel. Since as far as I know, there will be no modding to that. Any thoughts or ideas on mods would be greatly appriciated.

Cody

My new gigabyte motherboard came in. Pictures later on when I continue working.

My 2800+ should be here tomorrow.

Lookin great man! Props to you on that dremel work, I know how tough it can be.

Started painting today. I only painted the motherboard side panel because of the lack of mod's to that panel. I'm making $100 tonight by building my friend a computer he's paying me for labor, first time this has ever happened. Well, with that $100 I'll be buying my plexi that should be coming in soon and get my mesh. I'm also considering getting some hardware upgrades. I'm not sure yet. Well pictures once i get my mesh and start painting the top.

Recieved my processor yesterday. Of course I wasted no time getting it all hooked up. Here are some pics of taking apart the current setup and putting in the new hardware.

New Parts
DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

Old Setup
DSC00982.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

New Setup
DSC00983.jpg

Well that's all I have for now. I'm starting to put my clear coats on the side panel. Waiting for my money, then I'll be getting the supplies i need to get this rolling.

Yes it is, came with the case so whatever. I don't have the money to go and buy a powersupply. And this project might go a bit slower for a little while. My mom is back in the hospital, she's not doing so well from her operation back in May. She's been in and out of the hospital since then. She's supposed to have started chemo back on the 7th of June but that got delayed, now she's supposed to start it on August 1st, but it's looking like that wont happen. Well anyway's, I won't be working on this all the time anymore. There will be a little update here and there but nothing major, at least not this week.

:( sorry to hear about this, my thoughts are with her :(

but i like the doom :D looks nice :D

and i dont know what my canadian friend is talking about... s754 athlons are all over...

Thanks man. Well today I went and saw my mom in the morning and since I'm not going back until tonight I thought I'd get some painting done. Well it was looking really cheesy with just paint, so I grabbed some 220 Grit Sand Paper, did a light sand and primered it up. I'll take pictures right before I start painting again. In the mean time check out my Lego HTPC. It's located in the Case Mod Gallery.

XRDOTIMCR

Ok, sad news. This project will be moving much slower for a while. My mom will be in the hospital for the next week for sure and maybe even longer. And I can't paint because I ran out, with only 2 coats on the side panel. And with my Mom in the hospital my dad won't be taking me anywhere since he's sleeping when we're at home and if he's not at home he's at the hospital. I might ask my girlfriends Dad if he want's to take a trip to Home Depot. I also have a tutoring/homework class to teach on Saturday(not sure maybe Sunday?) for Visual Basic. I make $20/hr per person. There's usually like 4 or 5 people, and it runs for about 2 hours. So that'll be a couple hundred plus or minus. Update's then.

xrdotimcr

Ok, I've located the place I'm going to get my plexi from. It'll cost me $42+tax, I'm getting a 4'x4' sheet of black plexi and they're going to cut it for me. The only problem is they are like 45 min. away. So I'll have to give my dad a $20 or something to take me. For any of you in Washington I'm in Silverdale/East Bremerton and they're in Tacoma. I've also decided to have an AutoBody shop paint my case. I've decided that I suck at painting, and I really want this to come out nice. Don't know how much that'll set me back, I have to go down there so they can make an estimate. It's going to be an UltraGlossyBlack. I want the black plexi and the metal part on the case to blend. I'm hoping to get this computer underway soon. I want to show it off and enter it in the case mod contest at this LAN. Hopefully My Dad, a friend or two, and I will be attending. And by the way, I fixed the bumps on the top mod. I just put it upside down and mashed it with a hammer, kind of "caveman" like but whatever, it worked.

xrdotimcr

Ok, this is a [H]ardcore MS Paint GIF of how I'm going to attach my External Control Panel.

idea.gif

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been at the hospital for half the day, and sanding my deck for my mom the other half of the day. But today I called around to some auto shops and looked at the "Post Your Paintjobs" Thread in the Case Mod Gallery section, and decided to paint myself. It'll be cheaper, way cheaper. Just got to get some money together, and get some free time. But that might not come for a long time. My mom just got a Colostomy Bag so, she's not going to be to happy. My time will be spent helping her. Until Then.

xrdotimcr

Ok. Got payed yesterday for building my friend his computer. Woot Woot! Found the mesh for my mod, had it in my room the whole time, LOL. Not going to cut today, don't want to get dirty before I head out to the hospital to see my mom. Definatly going to work on it tomorrow. Pictures then. Hopefully I'll be able to purchase my paint and sandpaper sometime soon. So I can get the case itself partially completed. Still have to make a trip out to Tacoma to buy plexi. And not to mention I have to pay $250 for my Drivers Ed Class. Plus $20 for the permit. The state of Washington is gay, oh well whatever.

xrdotimcr

Finally an update with pictures. The first couple show how I fixed the bumps and bends in the case. Around the DOOM cutout.

From the side
DSC01020.jpg

From the front
DSC01021.jpg

Again
DSC01022.jpg

And the tool that helped me out
DSC01023.jpg

Here is the mesh that I'm using and the piece I stole it from
DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

Here is what it will look like after I attach it. It is of course going to be painted black like the case.
DSC01026.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

And that's all I have for now. I need to get down to the AutoParts store and pick up the paint. I'll do that once the money get's from my PayPal to my bank account. Until then I think I'm going to work on my External Control Panel which is nearly done. At least the electronic part of it is.

xrdotimcr

That looks pretty cool, though pre-painting shiny isn't Doom's thing, I can see this looking real good.

When the mesh is fixed, the struts propping up the centre of the "O"s and "D" won't be necessary, stick 'em to the mesh.

An update, not a big one though. I decided to scrap the plexi in the front besides the pieces that are going to stealth the drives. I also decided to not do the external control panel, I'll do that on my LANPC which I'll start after I finish this one. Well anyway. I went down to Radioshack and picked up some momentary switches. This is what I came up with.

First here's what I got.
DSC01044.jpg

Marked where I was going to cut
DSC01045.jpg

Test Fitting
DSC01046.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

Led On
DSC01049.jpg

That's all I have for now. Once my mom get's out of the hospital, whenever that may be, I'll head down and get some bondo and some paint. Until then.

EDIT: Did a little work. Hooked up the CD-R/W with it's new Open/Close button.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/imhotyourenot/DSC01052.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/imhotyourenot/DSC01053.jpg

Now I'm done for the night. Tomorrow I might hook up the DVD drive.

EDIT: DVD Drive done, I got bored :D .

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

And here's a picture of what my computer look's like right now. Can you say Dust?

DSC01056.jpg

xrdotimcr

Let's start this post off correctly, AutoZone is gay. I called the same store not once, not twice, but three times, and everytime they said they don't carry "glossy black laquer paint." Every single time. Today my Dad and I walk in there and POW, "glossy black laquer paint", they are dipwads. Well on to the good news, I bought a couple cans of black and a couple of cans of clear and some 2000grit sand paper. I didn't get home until about 7:45 so I didn't get to start painting today, but I will begin tomorrow for sure. The painting will take well over a week. And a quick question, WILL THE SAME TECHNIQUE OF PAINTING/WETSANDING OVER AND OVER WORK ON PLASTIC? I need to know because if not, I'll need to buy a thing sheet of aluminum and put it over my plastic front panel. I'm now looking to locate a local shop that sells black plexi glass for a cheap price, I really don't feel like driving 45 minutes to go get some. That's it until tomorrow. Will have some pictures of me primering it up yo.

xrdotimcr

As I promised yesterday. Here are the supplies I picked up yesterday, except for the primer, I already had that.

DSC01064.jpg

The motherboard side panel being primered.
DSC01063.jpg

And here is a 3 1/2" drive bay cover that was used for my light switch. Now it will be my plastic test piece to see how this comes out on plastic.
DSC01061.jpg

Now I'm off to paint the other side panel and the top.

EDIT: Pictures of the top, mesh, and windowed side panel.

DSC01066.jpg

Side Panel
DSC01065.jpg

Mesh
DSC01067.jpg

And I will be cutting the middle parts in the "D" and the "O"s. They will just be glued to the mesh.
DSC01069.jpg

xrdotimcr

For painting the plastic, I might just run a thin layer of bondo over it first to fill in the texture that those plastic panels usually have on them. After that it should be wash, rinse, repeat, as with anything else.

No painting done today. But I did pick up some more paint and some bondo for the front panel. Tomorrow I'll put my first coat of clear on the Top and Motherboard side panel.

Here's a picture of the lovely weather
DSC01086.jpg

xrdotimcr

Ok. So I picked up some Wire Sleeving from Xoxide, along with a Molex Pin Remover. Haven't started sleeving yet for one reason. I have to get another PSU. No not because the one I'm using isn't cutting it. All 400watt's are doing just fine. I'm going to do a custom wire job on this one. And I'm going to use the wires from the other PSU. It's going to look pretty damn good. The paint is coming out ok. Not what I really wanted. But as long as it looks uniform I'll be happy. Ok here's a picture of the sleeving and the too.

DSC01108.jpg

And here's a couple shot's of the finished mesh.

DSC01087.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

xrdotimcr

1. You would've been better off getting a new grahpics card instead of upgrading to 754.
2. Could we please get a close up shot of the CPU box where it says "Socket 754"? :p ;)

Edit: And if you don't mind, could you tell me how you did that kick ass DVD/CD drive mod? :D

And I hope your mom gets better. I really do. :)

cd/dvd mod is (fairly) simple... solder the wires from the external switch to the solder points on the switch on the drive itself and you're good to go. just make sure you plan wire length properly.

any particular reason you're going to spend all the time/effort on a cheap-ass PSU? (just wondering, really) you can get a cheap fortron that'll work a whole lot better (more stable rails, etc) which will help with your OCing (;)) and use the wires from your powmax (actually, scratch that... powmax PSUs have thin wires which suck) i know about this first hand because i had a 400W powmax that didn't work when i got a 9700 pro. got a 350W fortron, and bingo!

anyways, the doom logo looks cool. my best to your mom, hope she gets well soon.
i'm invincible!

Ok, a new video card is on the way. I haven't choosen one yet. I'm looking in the $200 price range. Maybe a little more. I might even consider just getting a whole new motherboard with PCI-E. Not sure yet. Money is getting close to empty right now. And for the PSU question. This is my first time sleeving. It turned out pretty well. But that was the main reason for doing it on my current PSU. A new powersupply will be bought. I wouldn't dare try and run my Watercooling kit with this thing right now. This was just a experiment. And it turned out quite well. Pictures in a few when I get around to uploading them. And thanks for all the kind word's about my mom.

Here are the pictures.

I tried it on a splitter first, just to get a feel for the tool.
DSC01109.jpg

First set of molex's done.
DSC01110.jpg

Taking apart the ATX Connector
DSC01111.jpg

Finished Pictures
DSC01113.jpg

DSC01114.jpg

Back in the case, just thrown in, wire managment will come when I get everything and my new PSU.
DSC01115.jpg

And the mess...
DSC01112.jpg

xrdotimcr

Back