DOOM Open Beta Details

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although the DOOM open beta doesn't go live until midnight tonight, you can actually fire up the demo (no servers are running yet though). The first thing that caught our eye was this warning to GeForce owners saying that, on the first launch of the game, the game may stutter badly until you reach the menu. The issue should go away after that but may return if you update your drivers in the future. Also of note, there is no menu for advanced video features. We are not sure why this is, but we thought we would mention it.

Well this sucks the same doesn't support 4K DCI 4096 × 2160 aspect ratio, Why doesn't it at least BF4 and other games support it.

yeah, was just coming to post this..

also, the menu is laggy as fuck. hope theres no framerate limit, vsync issues or something stupid.

edit: no stuttering here with 364.52

people running amd get this:
amdwarning.png

and I DO NOT have raptr installed....

Tempting...brings back the memories of playing the D3 alpha repeatedly as a youngun

yeah I get that. I was expecting the "why u runnin raptr?" so preempted it.

I reallly want this game to be awesome.

It's appearing that it might be just another shitty console port.

Doom should be a PC game first, fuckers..

I reallly want this game to be awesome.

It's appearing that it might be just another shitty console port.

Doom should be a PC game first, fuckers..
I agree with you about that the whole feel look and setup looks to much console. this game is gonna suck. fast action fps shooters last great game was Quake 3

played the closed beta the advanced menu was locked as well, sucks because thats where you can unlock the fps from 60 all the way to 144

The stuttering they warn about was an issue in the closed beta. It only appeared during the branding cutscenes before the game is loaded, and in no way affects gameplay.

Is this beta for the pre-orders only? I don't see a play or install or anything on the steam store page.

edit: ok, yeah, I'm a dumbass. search for doom open beta..../sigh

Last edited:
Any reason why it's chugging on my Lenovo Y70? I'm running a Core i7-4700HQ, 16 gigs DDR3 and GeForce 860M. I'm gonna try this on my desktop later, but this is pretty ridiculous.

sweet! first time ive been on front page!

Any reason why it's chugging on my Lenovo Y70? I'm running a Core i7-4700HQ, 16 gigs DDR3 and GeForce 860M. I'm gonna try this on my desktop later, but this is pretty ridiculous.
what do you mean chugging? its not live yet...
edit: do you mean the nv issue kyle started the thread with?

Hope I'm wrong but given the lack of options in the menus, the warnings, lagging of the menu....

I too think this is a crap console first port.

I have zero performance problems, and I'm sort of enjoying the game. The gameplay reminds me of unreal tournament to some degree.

played a couple rounds, its pretty fun! not sure what ppl are talking about with it being slower paced, it seems fine to me. works my system hard though!
if any of you guys are killin "thependragon1", that would be me! getting spanked while using my controller...

So, my thoughts - Playing on an AMD 390 (see rig specs in my sig), and the game plays smooth as silk. Single monitor, 27"`1920x1200.

Things I loved:

• Graphics-wise, finally playing a game I felt worthy of the card I have, rather than something "beneath" it in terms of pushing my card.
  • Been a while since I played Deathmatch FPS, and some aspects felt fun and refreshing, like I used to have in the old original UT day
Things that annoyed me:
  • Loadouts. I mean, I remember the fun of grabbing weapons and ammo and just using what you had. Totally missed the mark. Loadouts have no place here.
  • Small map. Could be fixed with other maps, but the map given was pretty cramped.
  • The silly "demon possession" replacement for Quake's "Quad damage" - basically whoever gets this flies about the map killing everything. It's boring and doesn't lend itself to skill

There's some potential here, but if I am being honest, I'd much rather play through a single player story of Doom with those gorgeous graphics, than an arena deathmatch that while fun for the first 5 minutes, becomes tedious by the end.

• The silly "demon possession" replacement for Quake's "Quad damage" - basically whoever gets this flies about the map killing everything. It's boring and doesn't lend itself to skill

Quad damage is in the game. I got it a couple of times.

anyone have nvidia surround or eyefinity working? I have triple monitors and it doesn't seem to recognize it. The devs are clearly contemplating it since the menu has the option for "monitors" but in my selection list I can only choose '1'. :( I tried playing on the lone monitor and I feel like I cannot see...

I'm gonna try installing the hotfix but I doubt it'll fix the issue. I wonder if they intentionally disabled multi-monitor setups for the open beta... -- hotfix installed but no dukes on the three monitors. :(

I found a post on wsgf about the closed beta: View topic - Doom Closed Beta | WSGF
someone posted the console codes for correcting the display:
+set r_mode -1, +set r_customwidth 5910, +set r_customheight 1080

These actually work if you set the launch options from within steam you can force the resolution but I haven't been able to figure out how to correct for the aspect ratio. I've tried +set r_aspectratio 4 all the way down to 0 and it didn't seem to make a difference. :( I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
Graphics-wise, finally playing a game I felt worthy of the card I have, rather than something "beneath" it in terms of pushing my card.

Really? Looks nothing special to me...

To me the game is like an Unreal Tournament set in Hell. Sure there's differences but the feeling is...not Doom. Hoping the single player is better.

Tried it about an hour ago. Not impressed. Looks like I'll be passing on this.

Awful game. Sad to see this is what the makers of DOOM, Quake, Quake 3 have fallen to.

That's because it isn't them anymore. John Carmack isn't even around at all. This is just iD in name. THe game really has a Quake 3 feel style wise to me and kind of plays like it (from the 10 minutes I played). I might have another go later.

It's not too bad, yet. I'm glad to see a relatively pure twitch shooter back in the fray. However I absolutely despise XP / Achievements / Loadouts in general, and they have no place in a game like this. Just let doom be doom, build some quality maps and include a rocket launcher and railgun, thats all we need.

Loadouts and the inability to pickup weapons is ridiculous......I cant begin to calculate the number of hours I played Quake 1 and Quake 2.....Tokays Towers Anyone???? Player control is a bit off and not as fluid or intuitive as the oldies.....I'll play the beta....so far I'm not a buyer....disappointed.

Really? Looks nothing special to me...

To me the game is like an Unreal Tournament set in Hell. Sure there's differences but the feeling is...not Doom. Hoping the single player is better.

I guess perspective is everything. I mostly have played MMOs for a while, and I've seen all the CoD/Division/etc games that all look like they've been passed through a "mute colors" filter. So seeing something like this is a bit refreshing.

However, that's only visually. For me, I do agree that it actually played a bit like UT, but what made UT were the maps and where you could find and grab certain weapons. So yeah, I'll be passing on this. Although if anyone wanted to make an updated UT with this gaming engine, and remove loadouts and add in better maps, I'm in.

Loadouts and the inability to pickup weapons is ridiculous......I cant begin to calculate the number of hours I played Quake 1 and Quake 2.....Tokays Towers Anyone???? Player control is a bit off and not as fluid or intuitive as the oldies.....I'll play the beta....so far I'm not a buyer....disappointed.

Yeah, if nothing else, this made me nostalgic for my Arena Shooters. Played Quake 2 and 3, and UT base, but for me, nothing beats the thrill of Facing Worlds CTF in the original UT. Me + Sniper Rifle + Redeemer = pure bliss. Plus, nothing funnier than when someone teleports to you to kill you while you are sniping, and you whip out the redeemer and see them try to run while you nuke both of you - they never expect that, lol.

Although the DOOM open beta doesn't go live until midnight tonight, you can actually fire up the demo (no servers are running yet though). The first thing that caught our eye was this warning to GeForce owners saying that, on the first launch of the game, the game may stutter badly until you reach the menu. The issue should go away after that but may return if you update your drivers in the future. Also of note, there is no menu for advanced video features. We are not sure why this is, but we thought we would mention it.

I fired this up last night before the beta went live and noticed the menus were very console like. This doesn't bode well.

I only got a few rounds in but I enjoyed it. Feels very much like playing an old school FPS area shooter. I plan on getting a little more time in this weekend.

The only real complaint I have is there seems to be quite a bit of input lag. I have Vsync turned off so I'm guessing it's mouse acceleration/smoothing? I'll look at it more later.

Last edited:
Yeah, if nothing else, this made me nostalgic for my Arena Shooters. Played Quake 2 and 3, and UT base, but for me, nothing beats the thrill of Facing Worlds CTF in the original UT. Me + Sniper Rifle + Redeemer = pure bliss. Plus, nothing funnier than when someone teleports to you to kill you while you are sniping, and you whip out the redeemer and see them try to run while you nuke both of you - they never expect that, lol.

I lived on Q2DM1 for years and than onto q3a, I tried the Doom Beta it was "OK". But it does look like I will be passing on it, it kind of has an old school quake/ut feel but is definitely lacking the core concepts that made the old school shooters so fun.

I only got a few rounds in but I enjoyed it. Feels very much like playing an old school FPS area shooter. I plan on getting a little more time in this weekend.

The only real complain I have is there seems to be quite a bit of input lag. I have Vsync turned off so I'm guessing it's mouse acceleration/smoothing? I'll look at it more later.

That's sad. *If* mouse acceleration / smoothing is turned on, then this game was clearly developed by people who don't know their target audience. This is one of the problems I had with BLOPS III during the beta and one of the biggest reasons I didn't get it. The other being it felt like a shitty version of Titanfall without the mechs.

I wasn't mad at it? After a few rounds and getting a feel for the pace it wasn't great but wasn't bad. As my reflexes continue to slow as I get older this may be about my pace for multiplayer. I can't keep up with these teenagers all jacked up on red mountain dew. Especially considering I'm usually having adult beverages when I play.

I gave it an honest go and found it underwhelming but others seemed to like it a lot. Slower than UT if just a tad. I will play while the demo is available but will not be purchasing.

I played some team deathmatch last night and enjoyed it. At first, I didn't care much for the burn cards in Titanfall, but I got used to them. Likewise, loadouts don't add much, but they don't bother me. I am looking forward to playing some FFA when the game is released.

Back