Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

R@Mo said:
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

yes.

Nuff said.

uhh, you better enter this into a competition, because there'd be no contest at all. first place to the doom III modder.

awesome work, keep our poor souls updated.

i think it'd be kewl if u put something inside the door that when it opens triggers a valve to let a small amount of smoke sifter out and if u get a real cd screen small enough to show the speed at whch the fan inside is spinning that would be kewl too and put a nob on it hidden so u can controll how fast the fan blows and it would circulate the smoke out of the airlock chamber....

humbled by the enthusiasm here..thanks to all!

What better way to test out the 30 jars of Model Master paint I purchased yesterday than to do a little finishing on the airlock--A combination of airbrushing and hand painting. Once I settle on a color for the Martian dust I'll be blending in that color onto the structures. The panel monitor is a printout with a glaze of clear 5-minute epoxy. I purchased a "Do-it-yourself inkjet" decal making system for the lettering on the opposite door, should arrive next week. What it does is create on your printer clear and very thin decals, the same that comes with model cars and other kits. Hopefully it will be a quality product--keep you posted.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_airlock_2-(b).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_airlock_2-(5).jpg

Good God man that is beautiful. It's works of art like this that inspire many more new people to get involved with the modding scene.....as this project is a cut above the rest. This my friends is where case modding starts to cross the line between modding and art.....and I'm not joking. There's case modding that you and I all know.....and then there's THIS....definitely good to see more people with the time and patience to show us what creation modding is all about.

I'll DEFINITELY be following this one, as it actually pushes me forward to get going on my smaller mods I've got planned for my Lian-Li, thx.

HaHa it says n00bie under your name.... thats a laugh :p

No but seriously great idea for a d3 themed mod. I really really love the idea of having the case be the uac base. really fantastic theme. Ne who your attention to detail is fantastic. The airlock/window/base construction that i have seen already really is turning out great. It might be alittle early but might i suggest a swinging light source inside the rig (like in the game) or just a flickering light source.... Ne way long story short. you should definatly keep up the good work and come up with some thing dark and scary for the lighting.

P.S. I also have this vision in my head of a nice highly detailed mars base on the outside and a blood soaked nightmare on the inside.

Ill be wasting many hours at work reading your worklog so keep it up.

CrimsonSky said:
The sound board arrived today--yay!

i'm really interested in learning more about this. who makes it and where did you get it?

the case is coming along very well! i cant wait to see the final product. the level of detail is amazing. keep up the good work!

-tom

All I can say is, HOLY SHIT, you the man!! :D :D :D Keep updating us, to bad you were not at QuakeCon with this thing. You wiould have won something :)

:eek: IS that how Ultra High Quality Mode looks like on the new ATi cards these days? :eek:

What resolution you running? AA? AF? :p

Holy Crapolla, that is NICE detail work on the Air Lock. I cant wait to see the rest of it. But I'm guessing its like months off from now. If the whole case has that amount of detail on it.

I don't know, he is progressing quite fast, I'd say in a week if there isn't any set backs. :D

So detailed you can even read "Cycle Air lock" on the door. :eek:

OptPrime said:

No shit, I never noticed that before.....funny.

But seriously, the detailing is excellent on that airlock door with the little cycle airlock graphic in there.....and if the rest of the case turns out just as nice I can hardly WAIT to see the results.

That is an awesome door. I am very impressed (and I am a long time CrimsonSky fan, since his first Matrix based case). The only thing that I did'nt like was the control panel, probably just the glare off the glaze that makes it look weird, I'm sure it looks killer in person. I probaby would have printed the panel on a overhead transparancy and lit it with an LED (but that is just me).

What would I like to see in a Doom 3 themed case? The interior lit entirely by a flickering red light, with maybe a black mini mag-lite chained to the outside for proper illumination (Doom 3 is all about the flashlight after all). And incorporating those glowy satanic symbols that imps teleport in on would rock too, I would put them on fangrills or something, but seeing how this case is mainly watercooled that probably would'nt be the best place for them. Only suggestions though, I'm sure whatever CrimsonSky (and Mashie also, can't forget to praise the other great mod), do can only turn out to be awesome.

OptPrime said:
It might be alittle early but might i suggest a swinging light source inside the rig (like in the game) or just a flickering light source....

Suggestions for interior lighting would be appreciated!...I was thinking some sort of bright strobe (adjustable of course) that can be controlled somehow...dumb or dumber? I'm affraid there wont be all that much room inside the case...so think small scale. I have the idea of FloodLights on the outside of the building pointing towards the Martian surface.

--multiple lighting is a must I'd say--reds, flashes etc. to go along with all the sounds it will have. Maybe I'll look into some sort of lighting control board--there must be something at the animatronics shop I go to. (www.bpesolutions.com)

R@Mo said:

As above

I don't generally care much for aesthetic mods (non performance related) but this is a whole lot better than a bunch of freakin disco lights.

firtol88 said:
As above

I don't generally care much for aesthetic mods (non performance related) but this is a whole lot better than a bunch of freakin disco lights.

Exactly, like I said, there are two VERY distinct sides to case modding. The prevalent of the two is "traditional" case modding, in which mods are typically functional or asthetic.....but based around actually moddifying (changing) the existing case. The second side/form of case modding is not nearly as popular, but it is what we're seeing today, and as you can see, it isn't even really the same thing. Some of the nicest cases I've ever seen ARE traditional case mods, and I appreciate them because they're more along the lines of what your "everyday joe" is going to be capable of. Seeing these artistic creations is always very nice, but they have to be taken and seen in a slightly different light.

That being said, this is one of the finest artistic case mods I've ever seen, and I can hardly wait to see how she turns out.

Man that is just amazing work! Who wants to bet that Carmack offers big $$ for it when/if he sees the finished product.

You should definitely send this in to MaximumPC for Rig of the Month. You would win, no ifs ands or buts about it.

cobalt said:
You should definitely send this in to MaximumPC for Rig of the Month. You would win, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Exactly, I'd love to see one of our own boys (or gals?) get featured in MaximumPC.....we'd all be able to see the work of a fellow [H]'er pay off, and somehow feel a part of it. :cool:

cobalt said:

YES, the monthly prize is a cool $1000 the last time I checked, and there is no doubt that this would win compared to previous winners posted in the magazine.

Kanati said:
YES, the monthly prize is a cool $1000 the last time I checked, and there is no doubt that this would win compared to previous winners posted in the magazine.

Heh, yeah, there have been some that were more comical then anything else.....remember that coffee machine computer that guy made? It was cool, but its nothing compared to Crimson's masterpeice.

cobalt said:

They actually stopped handing out prize money--last month. But they still continue to show some great mods-- :) I wouldn't have qualified because I was ROTM a couple years ago with my Biohazard case--back then it was only $500 but it was fun to see it in there nonetheless.

Figuring out the right position of the airlock in the case:

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/dm_mockup_1.jpg

3 Words

A MAZE ZING

You make sure you ping me so we can give you front page covered when you have major updates...PLEASE. [email protected]

You can be sure the boy's sitting on an Ace when Kyle actually BEGS him to let him know when he's done so he can post it up.....you dont see that too often anymore. ;)

one question im sure its nothing but how is the fan in front going to get air flow? are you going to open the door thingy when its on?

Back